Home Buying Tips & Suburbs

G’day folks,

My partner and I are looking to buy our first home. Obviously pretty restricted with where we can buy, but we do not want a unit or apartment and we aren’t interested in buying off the plan.

I was basically hoping to get any advice, tips, tricks, things to look out for and maybe even suburb profiles around Melbourne based on your experiences. Right now, we’re looking into the Narre Warren area, but are pretty open to anything that is within our budget of $600,000.

Looking forward to hearing some valuable insights from my fellow blitzers!

Under 600,000? How do you like Ballarat?

6 Likes

are you my brother?!

he’s looking to do the same at the moment, man you don;t get much for your buck in this market at the moment.

Seriously though, good luck. It’s tough out there.

There are three things with property, price, location, and size. In Melbourne, you can’t have all three, so you just need to pick the two that are most important to you.

For instance: If you want a big place and a low price you’re going to be living a long long way out (it sounds like this is your decision).

If you want a place that’s a good price and a good location it’s going to be tiny.

If you want a place that’s a good location and a good size the price will kill you.

Good luck again.

1 Like

Some around kilsyth/montrose/Mt Evelyn for 600k.
it’s batshit.
(But we thought it was batshit when those places were 400k, and that was 5 years ago)

1 Like

The old time/cost/quality dilemma!

Thanks for the tips!

Andy? :joy:

2 Likes

If you’re looking at non-apartment/unit homes, then yes, you’ll have to compromise on proximity to the city. Although, and personally I wouldn’t, there are pockets of Melbourne within 15km of the CBD where you can still get a house for at or under that price. Suburbs like Gladstone Park you could get something. It’s too close to Jacana or Broadmeadows for my liking, but 15-20 years down the track I can see the whole “gentrification” thing happening there like it has in places such as Sunshine, Footscray, etc.

1 Like

My advice would be not to be afraid of something that needs some reno.

We mainly bought the one we bought because we thought it didn’t need much renovating.
The week after we moved in we painted. Since then I changed all the doors & locks, had new blinds, put in all new floors, new kitchen, air con in all rooms, all new fencing, new baseboards all the way around, painted the front deck, 2 x new bathrooms, all the lighting’s changed…

Stuff is probably going to annoy you and you’re going to want to change it after a while.

4 Likes

Geez those prices are madness, think I’ll just stay in little old Adelaide.

2 Likes

RADELAIDE

2 Likes

They are ridiculous, even I am at the point of considering moving to another city. In Perth, you can buy a 2 bedroom house 6km from the cbd for approximately 300k. IMO if one wants to speculate on property (esp. foreign investors), there should be a limit in how much you can own. Deadset, we have the share market for speculating, it should not be allowed to occur on a roof over someone’s head. I am not poor, yet when I look at house prices I go “fk me, I really have no money”. It’s starting to give me the ■■■■■. What’s more, people blaming millenials for not being able to afford houses and move out of home can go ■■■■ themselves.
End rant.

6 Likes

For starters, if your budget limit is $600k, you’re looking at stuff advertised for $500k or less. Most estimated price ranges are about 10-20% under what they will likely sell at. You just have to accept that.

Best recommendation is do lots of market research. That can be as simple as trawling through all the real estate magazines and going to as many open houses as you can, even if you think the place is out of your reach. After a while you start to get a good read on what the market values are for different places and in different suburbs (“they want $900k for this? The one around the corner was heaps better and it went for $870 three weeks ago”). Check places on line as they often list previous sale prices and dates (They’re asking $600k, when it sold for $400k 12 months ago?).

List the things you want in a house (how many bedrooms, how much storage, garage vs carport, kitchen size, etc) and decide on how much work are you prepared to accept to get that house to where you want it (ie - does it need a new kitchen - if so - now, or in 5 years?). If you have kids, where do you want them to go to school? Primary and Secondary schools are pretty much all zoned now, so whatever is closest is where you kid will likely end up unless you fork out for private. If you don’t have kids this may not seem a consideration right now, but down the track it be a huge factor. Also, the new zoning requirements is having a massive impact on market prices in suburbs zoned to highly rated schools. Look at access to public transport and what your needs are. If you only go into the city to go to the footy on weekends, then look further out. The last place I sold was on a road that they subsequently announced will be a designated bypass road for the new Ring Road - Eastlink connection. Lucky for me we sold a couple of months before it came out. Dumb luck on my behalf.

Once you find a place you are keen on, get it checked. Check the title, boundaries, termites, building inspection, etc. You will pay extra, but it can save you in the long-run. If you can, try to find out why it is being sold. Sometimes it’s as simple as they got a new job somewhere, but it can also be giant rats keeping them awake at night. I bought my current house in Eltham, so was very mindful of getting a termite inspection (all clear!) as well as checking for any overlays on the block (I have a giant gumtree that the council would never let me cut down).

If the place you are keen on is going to auction, don’t be afraid to put in an offer before the auction. Remember, the seller is often as nervous as you and is terrified it won’t sell. A good offer before the auction may be accepted, depending on the interest being shown. Remember, the real estate agent is only interested in making the best profit and will always try to generate as much competition as possible.

If you go to auction, have a firm plan in place for how you will bid. SET A LIMIT AND DO NOT EXCEED IT. Do not let the emotion of the auction let you stretch beyond what you are comfortable paying. Remember that nothing the auctioneer/estate agent will tell you on the day should be anything to sway your decision - you should already know exactly what you are bidding for. When you set a limit, choose an offset number above a round number as people will often set their limit that way (ie - $613,500 instead of $610,000). There are plenty of websites that offer tips on bidding strategies, but generally try to get the bid increments down to small sizes (don’t let the auctioneer tell you he is only accepting $20k/$10k/$5k bids. If you want to offer $1k bids from the beginning, that’s your right), sound confident, match other bids straight away and don’t show if you are getting close to your limit. Once you’re at your limit, STOP. If you miss out at an auction, don’t stress, there will always be another house being sold that you will like. Don’t tell the real estate agent your limit (if during open houses they ask you, tell them you’re thinking “around the price range this place is at”, not “we can’t go past $600k or we’re broke”. If you tell them your limit and it’s above what he’s hoping for, guess which figure is most likely going to end up on the day?

Having bought and sold a few houses now (and still have a mortgage), I would recommend being conservative for your first place. Heaps of young couples/families over-reach in the excitement of a new house. You don’t need 6 bedrooms (“but what about when cousin Bob comes to visit from France?”), huge yards need mowing/maintenance, swimming pools are a total pain in the ■■■■ to maintain, and more likely than not you can get by with one bathroom for a while. Old kitchens may look ugly if they are in a lovely shade of 80’s beige with matching brown paisley tiles, but as long as the oven cooks ok, the fridge fits and you have a sink you will be able to make meals. Buying an older, but still easily liveable house, with an eye to renovate down the track is cheaper than buying something that has just had a facelift (plus if you’ve ever seen the home reno TV shows, you’ll know that most of them are fixed up cheap and then flipped for profit anyway). You also get to shape your home how you want it as well. The smaller your mortgage, the less stress you’ll have and the more options you’ll have down the track.

11 Likes

Diggers rest

1 Like

$300k would nearly get you a 2bdr house in the Adelaide CBD :laughing:

Yeah face it. You want cheap northwest corridor further out. 50 minutes from CBD by train.

Gladstone Park actually is quite good (I live the next suburb over) The local school is now a destination school, it takes me 15 minutes to get to Etihad for a game, outside of peak hour it takes me 15 minutes to get to the city and 5 minutes to the airport by bus.

Having said that there are pockets of not great but all suburbs are like that, and as long as I don’t turn the wrong way I don’t go anywhere near Broady or Jacana.

Stay away from Dallas and surrounding areas though

4 Likes

Get the biggest dump in the best street, slum it for a few years and tart it up (eg. flat pack kitchen and lick of paint), flip and buy elsewhere.

1 Like

If it was me…

The property websites can now do a scan of past sales.

Filter it for <$600k, with the number of bedrooms you want, etc.

Look at the map of results, and identify the hotspots.

3 Likes