Hopper and Kennedy-GWS

Players usually stay. How many of ours boys have had alternate offers this year before re-signing?

1 Like

I dont follow the "embarrassing " tag. North missed Dusty, they’ve probably thrown extra coin at Kelly now and their offer was probably already higher than ours could be, his Dad played VFL for them and i assume he followed them as a kid. Easy one to move on from for me.

6 Likes

You can’t get everyone and few clubs get anyone.

4 Likes

Especially Essendon, who are such a ■■■■ club.

As i’ve said previously, if he stays or takes a money deal to North then fair enough.
If he chooses Saints or Carlton on similar coin then that would be very disappointing. Embarrassing might be over the top, but not far from it.

Xavier said something along the lines of ‘we need to improve our list by about 15-20% in the off season’

Bit hard to do that when we can’t get any significant trades completed in our favour.

The draft is great and Disco and team do a good job, but the speed of our list progressions is pretty big issue that needs to be addressed.

If we waste the next 2-3 years of Hurley and Hookers careers then we will have completely and utterly failed.

3 Likes

The season is still going. We play a final next week.

It’s a bit hard to get a significant trade done during the season.

1 Like

We could get some, most clubs do.

Essendon are not a ■■■■ club. Best club in the land my friend.
They are ■■■■ at attracting top end trades and like to use the fall back that we’re a ‘draft and develope’ club = can’t attract big fish club.

TBH we probably weren’t ready to throw draft picks at players in the past, but I think it’s time and it seems the club agrees. Now we just need to land one.

Citation needed

2 Likes

We didn’t get another player? I’m truly shocked.

1 Like

Didn’t want anyway.

Just an ok footballer.

Langford and Begley will be better.

Whitfield on the otherhand would be nice or a top notch hbf that can break lines.

2 Likes

I’ll get back to it . Making some Frozen Lego and this’ll need some research.
Off the top and no research required these clubs have courted and wooed players of at least reasonable quality
Saints (Carlisle, Steele…), Geelong (obvious), Carlton(Judd through Marchbank and many in between), Hawthorn(O’Meara, Mitchell …), Freo (McCarthy), Melbourne(or boys one an AA), GWS (Griffen, Deledio, Shaw, Mummy…) Collingwood (Treloar, Adams, Wells) Dogs (Boyd) and Swans (to many to list) have all traded in better than us.

Feel free to add other clubs to that list.
Oh yeah. Richmond got our Caddy and The human meatball

You get frustrated by players, I get frustrated by trade week. We all have our weaknesses.
That list will be picked apart and my daughter’s getting annoyed.
I just don’t think we’re that good at it. Get Kelly and prove me wrong.

1 Like

Except they’ve done similar about 5 times before.

(Almost every time it’s been a win for them, but still…)

1 Like

You wouldn’t know it, given the way supporters talk about it.

A lot of those guys are comparable to Goddard.

Just remember Stewart from last year.

2 Likes

I like Whitfield would accept gladly.

Find a ‘Stewart type result’ amongst the inside midfield ranks of other clubs if no blue chips want to come.

6 Likes

Re-sign Mckenna get Matty Kennedy from the Giants and draft well.

That’d be an outstanding series of events in the next 2 1/2 months.

7 Likes

In reality that would be incredibly underwhelming and ensures that we finish in the 10th-8th bracket again.

I don’t think people in here realise just how far off we are a lot of teams with the players we have retiring.

1 Like