Hopper and Kennedy-GWS

Yeah but he still not a big fish, same as Kennedy. Kelly is a big fish, same as Martin.

Sure, I think itā€™s one of those phrases that means different things to different people, like ā€œeliteā€. A second year top 10 pick who hasnā€™t done much isnā€™t even in the same ballpark as someone like Martin, youā€™d have to be crazy to argue that. On the other hand we could recruit someone for half what itā€™s rumoured Martin/Kelly have been offered, and Iā€™d still probably regard that as at least a decent sized bit of seafood, so itā€™s a spectrum.

Edit: Iā€™m not putting Hopper into that bracket either.

Losing the retiring players may actually improve us, as it forces us to play the next generation which can bring if nothing else a little bit of excitement and energy. We will be an instantly quicker team next year as we wonā€™t be playing so many tractors.

11 Likes

Iā€™m just glad heā€™s not going to the Cats. Iā€™m sick to death of those farkers picking up decent players.

4 Likes

/fxd

1 Like

It wonā€™t.

Jobe is literally the only inside bull that we have (other than Heppell who Worsfold seems to want to play anywhere but the centre bounce for some reason) on the list.

Jobe had a very down year by his standards, but his production was still far and away higher than any other player on our list that could feasibly play his position other than Heppel (he averaged 10 contested possessions a game for crying out loud and averaged the most clearances for us as well).

As things stand, it isnā€™t even in the realm of possibility that we are bringing in an elite level contested ball winner or even a decent level one to replace Jobe which leaves us with absolutely nothing on our list other than Langford who is just as slow as Jobe with far less footballing ability (currently) who makes Colyer look like Tippa in terms of picking up a football below his knees or in general. Even for our midfield to be where it is this year, Langford would have to improve so much it isnā€™t even funny.

You have Begley who has only just come onto the scene and looks good but is he ready for big midfield minutes next season? No.

Mutch? Doesnā€™t have the frame.

Clarke? To be honest, it sounds harsh, but I really donā€™t know why we even drafted the kid considering his horrendous ball use which would be nothing but a liability at the higher level.

Frang? Doesnā€™t have the tank.

That leaves the draft and even a first year Ollie Wines type player, isnā€™t going to improve us to get us back up to the level we were at this year.

I think some people need to take the glasses off and start really looking at the state of our list and in particular our midfield because it wasnā€™t pretty this season and at this stage, it is already going to be far worse than that next year.

This is the off-season where Dodoro really needs to extract the digit and show his worth.

5 Likes

Youā€™ve made a lot of assumptions about kids 7 months out.

5 Likes

Ha. Fair. I wrote a bunch of stuff about the spectacle element of what constitutes ā€œlanding a big fishā€. Then I took it out and what was left was a particularly wordy ā€œI agreeā€.

Do you happen to live in an underground bunker in central USA filled with canned food?

2 Likes

So your point is, weā€™ll lose Watson.

And weā€™ll really miss Watson, and despite how mediocre he has been this year, weā€™ll be a worse team for it.

Just out of interest, do you think our midfield struggled during the games Jobe was rested for this year?

5 Likes

My point is that our midfield struggled in every game this year and that as down as Watson was this year, he is still far better than any other player we will be adding to our midfield next season, whether already on the list or otherwise.

There is being optimistic and then there is being an Essendon supporter it seems.

It is good to look at the best possible side, and we have had a fairly decent run with injuries this year. I would argue that you need to look at the list as a whole. What happens if a couple of mids go down with injury?

He may not be the best we can get (and we might get another in the trade period, and I am assuming our first will be a mid) history suggests they will either be a player who was injured and slipped from the top 5-10 and as such is in need of some catch up or a player who is underdeveloped. We would be extremly lucky to pick up someone who slots into the midfield at round one and playes most of the season. Hence we need to bolster the midfield with the best avaliable who can play a role. Is that Miles? I donā€™ t know.

Well, you seem to be assuming that none of current midfielders will improve into next year. Iā€™d think thatā€™s unlikely, and what weā€™ll lose in cooked Watson, weā€™ll gain in Heppell playing his preferred spot, Zerrett being a year older, Parish being a year older, etc.

Iā€™m certainly not ā€˜lid offā€™ about our midfield, and it may need to take a small step back to take two steps forward, but I think youā€™re overestimating Watsonā€™s importance this year, and his loss next year.

5 Likes

Iā€™m not fussed if they decide to stay with their current club, that shows loyalty and it is alot harder to get someone to leave a club than to land someone who is choosing between 2-3 other clubs.

When they decide to choose Carlton or St Kilda over us, then itā€™s ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– !

1 Like

This time last year our forward line was farked. Over that offseason we made a couple of meh trades. This year itā€™s the 2nd best in the comp.

Just imagine the midfield getting a similar overhaul this year and things look great.

6 Likes

Getting a little sick of this myth. Langford may not be Colyer quick, or even Merrett, but he is nowhere near as slow as Jobe. Heā€™s probably average pace for AFL level.

2 Likes

I scratch my head at that one also.

He may not have top end speed although its comfortably in at least the average range for somebody his size, but in around congestion he is very sharp.

He has a great sidestep and shimmy and is very elusive.

Since we donā€™t know who will be added to our list for next season, this is an assumption that cannot be supported, it is nonsensical.

Langford just looks slow because his decision making takes a eternity, once he actually decides what he wants to do his pace isnā€™t bad at all

4 Likes

Yeah, I think even the slow decision making is exagerated a little with him.

Itā€™s his first year as a full time mid at any level and he is going through an adjustment period.

I think of him playing last year and I can picture exactly what you are talking about. A guy just strolling through midfield and getting dragged down from behind. the two things wrong with that picture is first of all on tv it is very dificult to guage just how many options are further afield and secondly is passing it to somebody else just going to put them under further pressure.

I go to VFL most weeks and Langers has definitely started to refine this part of his player. Heā€™s essentially an attacking midfielder so heā€™s always looking to create, this sis why he can appear to take his time. Some players are just as happy to lay it off (think Myers).

His game awerness aroung packs has really lifted also. He uses his body more and more to protect his area and his hands in close are as quick and creative as anyone in my opinion. Iā€™m a big fan and I think he will easily replace Jobe given enough time. Next year will be another learning curve as he gets used to the pace at AFL level and the rsponsibility that will be placed on him but I think by halfway through the year he will be easily replacing Jobes current output. The most significant upgrade will be his pace on the outside and also his kicking skils, He makes the odd blunders just like Goddard and Merrett can but that is offset by some kicks that cut through the opposition.

Heā€™s going to be a gun.

2 Likes