Hopper and Kennedy-GWS

I disagree.

I think that Laverde or Zaharakis are “average” pace for AFL level, Langford is a tortoise compared to either of those guys IMO.

1 Like

Zaharakis is average pace? I think that would make at least 2/3 of the league considered to be slow then.

I think the number of elite pace players in our team at the moment is affecting your judgement to be honest. Colyer, Raz, Walla, McGrath and McKenna are all top level pace for AFL. Next tier down would be the Merrett, Zaharakis, Laverde and Green types… all still above average for pace.

3 Likes

This debate has me curious now.

Anyone know what Lang’s draft combine numbers were for sprints etc?

Yes. Someone does

3 Likes

Is it really all about on-field physical performance from those guys? They don’t need to be the top 10 best players on the field but surely their leadership on field has a big impact.

I think with Langford it comes down in large part to his overly sensible haircut. It is hard to look fast whilst also sporting a haircut I can only assume was done by the guy in the caravan at Dandenong markets

1 Like

Oh man. I was looking for his sprint results and they had a link to big footy. Check out this prediction lol.

4 Likes

This is agility run result which I believe is more pertinent with Kyle.

He works his way through traffic very well.

Agility Run Result (seconds)

Rank Time (seconds) Name
1 8.09secs Clem Smith
2 8.10 Daniel McKenzie
3 8.12 Conor McKenna
4 8.13 Jarrod Pickett
5 8.27 Teia Miles
6 8.28 Lukas Webb
7 8.33 Josh McGuinness
8.33 Billy Stretch
9 8.36 Kyle Langford
10 8.37 Jack Lonie

8 Likes

Ninth-best time in the agility run and elite results in the 20m sprint (2.98sec) and beep tests (level 14.6).

3 Likes

Langers in his draft year was 76kg and now comes in at 90kg according to the bomber website. He no doubt would have slowed a little carrying that weight but still moves well for somebody his size.

3 Likes

Once he becomes more accustomed at using it he will improve dramatically. Some good signs of improvement in the Magoo’s regarding this I reckon.

1 Like

Really?
He’s in the top ten percent for both?

Those were his combine results.

And…?

I copied and pasted that from the HUN.

Sorry, perhaps I wasn’t clear.
I was asking if those results were in the top ten percent from that draft combine.

Yeah, I have no idea.

I know he didn’t finish in the top ten in either of those so that would suggest not.

Sub 3 seconds would be elite for his height though I would imagine.

Langford has all the physical attributes and skills. What he doesn’t have is the intensity (yet), that desperation to win every contest, that desperation defensively.

If he is playing a key inside mid role he will be up against your Josh Kennedy, Ollie Wines, Patrick Cripps types. He has got to be able to stick his head over the footy and be able to rip it out of heavily pressured pack situations, and be able to stop/limit others doing the same.

1 Like

He just needs some farking mongrel

3 Likes

Depends on what type of inside role you think he will be performing.

The guys you have listed are contested ball animals and in no way is Langford that player. He is a balanced mid and is learning to use his body but he is far more effective with ball in hand. He is creative and that’s what will set him apart.

I think most people expect that we need to have this monster in our midfield but even when you look at Woosha’s midfield at WC you could argue that Cousins, Judd, Kerr and Fletcher were balanced midfielders.

The monsters that people continue to reference are a dying breed and rightfully so. The game is getting faster and with fewer stoppages and players like that have to be extraordinary at what they do to excel.

1 Like