Hopper and Kennedy-GWS

If we were GWS fans you would be hoping for saints and to get 2 first rounders this year for Kelly.
like we were hoping Ryder went to GWS and we got better draft picks.

Reality is GWS will deal with whichever club he chooses - IE us Port, Eagles - Blues.

Dodoros wining and dining is important.

If Saints/Blues/North think they can find a player as good in the top end of the draft then that works in our favour as they would be less interested in Kelly.
However these clubs would have lots of space in their salary cap, as they have less marque players than us.

Not Carlisle, he said heā€™d go to Hawthorn.

Iā€™d assume that every AFL player would go to Hawthorn. Having the best club in the comp as your back up plan is a pretty strong position to be in.

You canā€™t really say, get the deal done or Iā€™m off to the Gold Coast or Nth. Itā€™s not a very good threat.

Iā€™d deal 2 first rounders and exchange of first round next season (GWS will finish top 4 again)

Or swap 2Nd with third.

Kelly is a bird in the hand we need now. Would breach the gap with the top 4 sided

Then we spend some time fishing for some late round project talls and promising midfielder types.

I donā€™t believe this. I believe that GWS were required to pay him in the cap because of his contract even though he wasnā€™t playing.

Just like the AFL has stated Swans will have to pay Buddyā€™s salary in the cap even if he retires earlier than his 9 yr contract.

I donā€™t think itā€™s good cap mgmt. In fact I think it is a result of poor contract mgmt.

Thatā€™s my takeā€¦

Sorry Ants. Looks like you said the same and the quote function still evades my mediocre skills from time to time. NOT YOUR QUOTE

1 Like

He was out of contract I thought.

Nope. Donā€™t think soā€¦ But it freed up a list space for there last academy kids before the rule changes

Apparently his contract was up but he had triggered a clause for a 1 year extension

We let a top 10 pick go to Melbourne after about 7 years of development. We didnā€™t get a top 10 pick back. Not all top 10 picks end up stars.

Francis is a top 10 pick with 2 years development, and I can guarantee we would not get a top 10 pick in return for him.

4 Likes

We wouldnā€™t get a top 10 pick for Francis. But we also wouldnā€™t trade him for anything less because the potential is there.

This is how I see with Hopper. Heā€™s a potential inside bull, or maybe just an honest toiler, but why wouldnā€™t they wait and see unless there is a SERIOUS offer on the table?

If Francis was uncontracted and wanted out we wouldnā€™t have much choice.

If Devon Smith is possibly on the move then we should be 100% into that.

10 Likes

Reports this morning that the Cats are confident of getting both Smith and Hopper.
That would be a very good get for Geelong - exactly what we need.

1 Like

Him and Hopper will get to the Cats

If geelong get Smith for a 2nd round pick then thats daylight robbery. And it seems the Afl will allow them to trade a future pick for Hopper.

1 Like

Whatā€™s the latest on Kennedy. From the limited stuff Iā€™ve seen, heā€™s more of a pure inside mid than Hopperā€¦

Gee those Cats love a rebuild donā€™t they?
Get picks and draft kidsā€¦ was never said at Geelong.

3 Likes

Why draft kids when you can get 20-23 yr olds who can impact immediately when your in flag contention?

They look as though they will trade Menzel, and if Crows lose McGovern would be all over him. And also Motlop has not been offered a contract, likely compo pick back as he a FA

Devon Smith is a gun. And Hopper could well be.

If Cats are always so far down line with these two thatā€™s dissapointing. But can only assume our focus is on others.

1 Like

Itā€™s a credit to the Cats, they just get things done

6 Likes