HOT TAKES

Could be the hottest take of them all.

I actually enjoy Luke Hodges commentary.

1 Like

That’s a PISSTAKE.

It’s not actually.
He is very knowledgeable and comments on the game rather than annoying anecdotes and BS that most other commentators engage in

2 Likes

In the meathead category with Jono Brown.

Reckon every current or very recently retired player sounds good

Give them a year or two talking to Ling and Basil full time and they’ll fall into line.

1 Like

Brown talks more about his days playing than he does about the actual game.
When I’m watching or listening I want to know what’s going on at that current point not some story about him getting a kick in under 14’s.
Hodge focuses on the games and is quite insightful

Sadly I think you are correct

TV commentary is just a stepping stone to the real goal - reading odds for a sports betting company

4 Likes

I don’t think anyone can be a good special comments person for more than a couple of years. Nobody has more than a few genuine insights into the game, after which they either repeat themselves until they retire, or start dribbling hot takes.

Edit: this is not a hot take, just a marginal contribution to the discussion

2 Likes

I reckon Dwayne SPANKS IT! Russell is one of the best just because he’s so enthusiastic.

When Russell goes over the top when a rubbish team narrows the gap to 7 goals with 7 to play in a match that means nothing…

1 Like

papLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEY!

1 Like

Nine day fortnight as standard.

Every team needs to play 3 people with at least 30% body fat. That way there’s 6 blokes that won’t be chasing the ball all over the field for the whole game.

Plus it gives those highly skilled but a bit on the lazy side a chance to shine.

8 Likes

Eliminate off ball contact COMPLETELY

If the footy’s not within 5 metres, don’t touch.

Free kick straight away.

1 Like

And when players of the type of Scott Thompson come in to try to get a kick reversed, then immediate yardage penalty (my preference is 25m but 50m for Thompson and other habitual offenders).

No such thing as insufficient force not warranting a suspension. Any closed fist contact to get one week minimum.

And doing things like legalising throwing just destroys the game.

The other thing i’d do is to eliminate score reviews for touched off the boot.

3 Likes

Jesus H Christ.

How would this work?

2 Likes

Simple

You see one guy push/grab/run into another guy off the ball, you blow the whistle and pay a free kick