House Hunting

Fk it. Counter offers in. Had to go and sign new contract. Real estate owner even came down and met us. Waiting game. It’s just ■■■■■■ weird waiting because they’ve gone back with both offers to people we know quite well. Maybe they’ll take our lower offer because we are acquainted. Maybe jr will take over and push oil barrel prices up.

Feel like I’m going to spew.

Nah I don’t recon it’ll ruin it. The worst thing is we bumped into them the day after they signed the contract with the agent. We could have done it on the spot. But whose to say that might have gone south anyway.

Not saying you would, but I reckon I’d really consider burning a lot of friendships for, say, 5k.
You just couldn’t rely on the goodwill.

IMO.

1 Like

What suburb?

I bought in Boronia about 5 years back, and prices have gone through the ceiling here since then. My last rates assessment was 30% above the price I paid, and when the guy next door bought he had an offer for $200k more than he paid before he even settled.

Anywhere close to a railway line is still plenty pricey. And around here council is getting very enthusiastic about approving ranks of townhouses on a lot of the big old acre-plus blocks that have been around since forever, so the developers are pumping up prices even more.

1 Like

Yep it’s crazy how many units and townhouses are being built in decent areas.

Even Officer is getting built up now and that was rural farm land

South Launceston

It’s done. We got it.

They got a higher offer and didn’t go our lower price (by a bout 7 g) but said if we match it it’s ours. Which we did.

It’s got a pool. It’s got a workshop. It’s got a place I can go far away from the maddening crowd. It’s on gas. It gets northern sun all day. There’s a shared path on an easement that saves from walking around a steep hill into town. It’s not that far from kids school. I don’t think it’s haunted. It’s weatherboard. It’s a Californian bungalow. It’s got windows. It’s got a roof. It’s got a price on it that I’ll never pay off. A female cop lives next door.

I’m blowing out more than Cheech and Chong. Having a bex and a lie down. And hopefully a celebratory live cuddle with the Missus when I recover.

Yay.

20 Likes

Congratulations mate, good to see a Blitzer get some joy. Hope me and the missus get ours one day.

6 Likes

Huh? Thought you already bought one. Or were you still saving for a deposit with the missus?

hes trying to convince his mrs that diggers is a part of the package deal.

Nah, I was planning on building one in the next few years. Still saving a bigger deposit for now.

2 Likes

Hey thanks to everyone for your support and kind words. Been a worlwind last few days; Thursday see it, Friday open day and offer first in, sat bidding war and offer matched and just over. House.

We got scammed out of one a few years ago some by some dodgey ■■■■■■ who just used us to bump up the price and we were devastated cause we where led to believe we had till this apparent last minute offer came in. Booyah.

Stressful stuff but blitz got me through. E - beers on me.

3 Likes

Well done!

We’ve bought and sold a few times, and I’ve been in sales (not real estate) for the best part of 20 years, so I know a few of the ‘tricks’.

It really is a stupid process, especially auctions.

But as long as you get a reasonable outcome and everyone walks away without having been screwed, I think that’s fair.

Don’t worry about the big mortgage. If you can just keep on top of it, eventually (hopefully) your wage picks up and the payments end up being less than rent. We have been hearing in Melbourne that Tassie property is ‘so hot right now’ and due to global warming, expect more people wanting to move there. (See, tony Abbott was right when he said some people would be better off!)

1 Like

You can buy a house for 500K in Melbourne? Oh man.

I’ve got no mates left anyway. They think I’m weird.

Can you believe that

1 Like

Yep love this state, and you’re right the markets nuts and only expected to get cheaper in the next few months for whatever reason.

Might be good time to invest in a rental down here. Hobart exploded due to MONA, if you know what that is, and it’s flowed in to Launceston recently. You can get a decent one in the fringes for around 100K and it’s basically lower end housing.

Anyways I’m still so numb I don’t recon I’ll get that special cuddle. Blackadder it is.

Hi there nursey, I like it firm and fruity!

2 Likes

Yep, it’s insane. We also bought 5 years ago in Boronia (after initially wanting Ringwood / Heathmont, but we missed the boat there), and there is no way we could afford to buy here now.

It’s ironic that having a train station is a positive, considering that Boronia station is the worst place in the whole suburb.

2 Likes

train stations are ■■■■■■.

trains are ■■■■■■. 7am my lines full by the 3rd stop inbound on the line.

Anyone got huge payrises in the past 5 years?

Coz if no one has had payrises, but can no longer afford to buy where they live…