House Hunting

Seriously consider tassie. If you can deal with cold winters it’s awesome. Launceston got most family friendly city in oz a couple of years back, and we’re always looking for professionals and tradies because the younger ones fk off seeking their fortune.

We rule.

Wait… what?

Just being facetious. We’re going to pump everything into it i and draw on it.

I’m 43 in December so I might be working till I’m 70 something

We live within walking distance to everything. Train is an 1hr 40min ride to the city but since we are the 3rd stop in we get seats. But I rarely need to get them.

Thr In-Laws will get a mint for their joint in as they are at right on the National Park in The Basin. Fantastic views of the city. The joint is tiny and old (all wooden exterior and slate floors) but it’s a beautiful spot.

1 Like

I could be wrong, but I reckon PP2 lives in either Toorak or Brighton. Tassie would be a big step for him. :wink:

I will venture he’s a doctor. He could look after hirdy.

Wrong, massively wrong.

And I love tassie!

2 Likes

Just kidding, man. I should have written Port Melbourne or South Yarra or something. :wink:

I love Tassie, too. Spent 5 days in winter 2000 hiking 100kms in waste deep snow across the Overland Track. ‘Twas brilliant. Would love to buy some land around the Huon Valley area.

1 Like

Did you get back in time for the granny

Watched it at the bar on the Spirit of Tassie. Epic trip completed in an epic way. :smile:

1 Like

No. Not a cracker.
But am about to get 26% over 4 years.
Im not sure it’s going to match the rise in real estate.

1 Like

Got friends up there, literally about 5 houses from the top of the hill, other side of the street is the Nat park.
Can see the bay on a decent day.

1 Like

Wage growth has been pitiful over the past 5 years. I’m very grateful we bought when we did, about 6 years ago. House has probably gone up about 250k value and interest rates have been stable.

Yep. Must be same street as my In-Laws. Beautiful spot. Had many a beers on the deck. Downside is lately there have been burgles and you get the idiots motorbiking and dumping hard rubbish in the park but great hiking and walking spot.

They’re on Phillipa st I think.
Old, old joint they got handed down through family. Very weird building.

Nah not same street (Phillipa Road). My In-Laws are on the other side of the national park (Mercia Av runs around it).

They were lucky a lot of trees died in their yard so they could chop them

Exactly the same as us. We would not be able to afford our house I’d we tried to buy it today. Tear downs are going for $100-150k more than we paid for our house

We sold our place in Macleod two years ago. When we were first thinking about selling, my wife had discussed it with a work colleague who told her that her brother was looking to buy in the same area. We told her to give him our contact details and he could come over and have a look, but apparently he drove past our house, had a look from the nature strip and thought it would be too old, too small and need renovation.

Once we decided to sell a few months later, we organised an agent, did an off-market sale process (no open-house or advertising - the agents bring through people they already have on the books). In the end, the same couple (wife’s work colleague’s brother) came through, saw that we had already done a full interior renovation and extended the rear of the house in the previous couple of years and ended up making an offer. We haggled over the price a bit, got it up over what we wanted for it and sold it to them. Would have been nice to have sorted it earlier in the year without the hassle of paying the agent commission…

In the end, the place we bought in Eltham after that has turned out to be great. The auction for it was on the same day as my 40th and the guy we bought it from turned out to be Bevan from Young Talent Time. He also left me heaps of tools, industrial shelving in the garage, some great book shelves in the dining room and a trampoline for the kids as he and his missus were separating and they had nowhere to put this stuff at their respective new places. So I got a house, tools, trampoline, Octoberfest and celebratory live cuddles all on the same day! Awesome.

3 Likes

Were the celebratory live cuddles from Bevan?

2 Likes

Ewww