How close are we to winning the flag?

Guys…how close are we do you reckon from winning the flag? Couple of years? Next year? We won’t win it this year unfortunately. However we’ve got so many things going right for us next year:

• out best 22 is a top 4 level standard this year. Our improvement under Hird yearly has been sensational. We can only assume our rate of improvement will be the same next year.
  • us against the world mentality
  • were the second youngest team in the 8th this year and we’re younger than all the teams above us. We will only improve.
  • another preseason to our young players…

Yeah there’s a chance Hirdy won’t be there next year and our depth isnt the same as those teams above us so If we cop any injuries were farked but I’m really exited about next year, Hopefully our leap of improvement is the same as last year to this year…which might see us win the flag.

We are a Taylor Adams and a Dayle Garlett short of flag contention.

Plus a good run with injuries to Dempsey, Winderlich and Hurley.  I don't think we're that far off.  We've been terrible the last month but that's to be expected.

Plus a good run with injuries to Dempsey, Winderlich and Hurley. I don't think we're that far off. We've been terrible the last month but that's to be expected.

Agreed. But I would be throwing everything within reason at GWS to get Adams across, anyone have any idea who he supported as a kid?
We are a quality small forward and another young star (potential star) midfielder short.

Plus a good run with injuries to Dempsey, Winderlich and Hurley. I don't think we're that far off. We've been terrible the last month but that's to be expected.

Agreed. But I would be throwing everything within reason at GWS to get Adams across, anyone have any idea who he supported as a kid?
We are a quality small forward and another young star (potential star) midfielder short.

Get Sheedy back to lure Milne out of retirement.

Tom Sheridan from Fremantle in Red&Black in 2014.

We need to find another good run and carry goal kicking midfielder who can play the Zaka/Shuey/Sidebottom role.

Too many one paced midfielders at the moment.

Tom Sheridan from Fremantle in Red&Black in 2014.

I haven't seen anything of this guy.
Could someone fill me in on him? How old is he? Position? Attributes? Potential?

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/player-profile/tom-sheridan

Local boy who supported Essendon and wants to come back to Victoria. A trade is likely to be done.

Two years imo.

A few games into Joe, Zaka, Hurley, T-Bell, Carslile and co and hopefully less injuries to players of our spine.

We're gunna have a pretty big season next year regardless.

Yep two years. Assuming we can keep players and stay focused.

Next year genuine top 4 chance.

Year after should really be in contention.

Two years imo.

A few games into Joe, Zaka, Hurley, T-Bell, Carslile and co and hopefully less injuries to players of our spine.

We're gunna have a pretty big season next year regardless.

I reckon 2 years as well. 2 more pre-seasons plus another 40 odd games of experience into the guys. If we can fix up our forward line- we will be a force to be reckoned with.

god we miss demps when he is out. we need a mid who with that sort of express pace who can drop a bit deeper now and then so we have a bit of cover for him. 

express line breaking pace through the middle would really help us with the effectiveness of our clearances i feel and being able to break up midfields a bit more which should also help with our forward entries. i think this is the most pressing list weakness.

i'm not to fussed about the small fwd situation and think (unless we suddenly find a competition leading one) we should be looking to rotate mids through there (licha, howlett, zaha, melk)

we have got to fix the forward line leading too but i do think it is a bit of a chicken and an egg thing. is our leading ■■■■ or do they expect our mids to just bomb it up nice and high anyway. 

hurls needs to sort out his marking and set shots or go back.

people might think i'm crazy but i would love for us to develop another half back flanker. Then we can push Hibberd into the midfield. I think he could become a very good mid. Good disposal, good in the air, tough as nails. 

Would love to see Dempsey on a wing as well but you wouldn't want to be replacing both your rebounding defenders at the same time.

5 Weeks?

people might think i'm crazy but i would love for us to develop another half back flanker. Then we can push Hibberd into the midfield. I think he could become a very good mid. Good disposal, good in the air, tough as nails. 

Would love to see Dempsey on a wing as well but you wouldn't want to be replacing both your rebounding defenders at the same time.

I think that's where Browne could make his way in. We all know the potential he has, hopefully an injury-free pre-season could release that.

Also, think of our recruiting in the past couple of years, targeting HBF. Ashby and Gleeson should develop nicely and Dalgleish is already showing good signs.

Okay...

I'll play...

We need a dangerous goal scoring small forward.  Kommer has been great but he strikes me as a better defensive forward.  Alwiyn Davey is depth at best.  I know there are many fans of his, but I'd love to get Yarran, Lachie Neale, Hayden Crozier or someone like Ben Kennedy.

I think we need another inside midfielder that demands the oppositions attention.  This will enable Myers to shift onto the forward flank.  Melksham should develop further and become a pretty decent midfielder.

We need another outside midfielder to help with our rotation.  I like Heath Hocking.  I think he does his job, but we probably need to develop Melksham more in a tagger role and free up a spot in the midfield.  Heath Hocking would be a good depth option.

We need a better small defender.  Baguley has been good, but I really worry about his skill level.  He's a confidence player so when we aren't playing well, he is just as likely to give the ball back to the opposition as he is to giving it to us.  A Marley Williams type would be absolutely perfect for us.  Very good defender, neat foot skills, good decision making and willing to play for the hard ball.

We need a good solid mid sized defender.  Fletcher is our best one and he's edging closer to retirement.  Tayte Pears has played the mid sized defender and I don't think he's the prototypical defender we need.  Kyle Hardingham is good depth, but I doubt he can be reliable.

As far as players who should continue to develop nicely, I'd say Merrett is looming as our next big thing outside of Joey D.

I'd say it'll take a few years to gather options for the above (by trading, drafting and free agency) and I'd wager that by that time, Jobe Watson and Goddard will be nearing towards the end of their careers and begin having less and less impact on a game.  We'd need to find replacements internally (Kav and maybe another) and also need to add three or four depth type players who can be relied upon in the event of injury.

In all fairness, I'd say in three years time we could be right within winning a flag.  Two if we trade aggressively (Gumby, Pears, Jetta might be of use to other teams), pick up a few good value free agents and draft wisely.

Dalgleish?

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/player-profile/tom-sheridan
Local boy who supported Essendon and wants to come back to Victoria. A trade is likely to be done.

Is he a speedy outside mid? Thanks for the link by the way.

Simple answer is not close as we need to be. 

What we need is to score the lottery in the draft and at the trade table. 

We need to draft 2 players that become out and out stars. Think Motlop at Geelong. Hannaberry at Sydney etc etc. 

We haven't been able to do that in 10 years. Not confident it's going to start now.