How do we fix the forward line?

Get Josh Jenkins and Dickson back good start lol

We'll go around and around in circles in this thread until we draft/trade actual forwards. Not midfielders in the forward pockets. Not defenders being switched to forwards.

Forwards. Guys who have goal sense. Thats what we need. Until then, itā€™ll be a dogs breakfast up there

After trying to turn ruckmen, defenders and mids into forwards over the last however many years maybe it actually is time to get some forwards?

Sounds sensible. I wonder if we could try that.

Nahā€¦ midfielders. Everyone wants one everyone wants to be one, every fan wants to recruit some. In EFCā€™s case, half bank flankers as well. Why would you bother recruiting a forward when you can have midfielders?

I have the uber rare midfielder blindness, never have any idea of who will win the Brownlow, thought Jobe was no chance and my fave players have been guys like Fletch, Wallis and Lucas although I totally rate Hirdy but only for his forward work. lol. Currently Bags, Walla and Fantasia are where itā€™s at.

Give me a 20/20 version of the game where there is no midfield and the backs just bomb it at the forwards and the whole game is a long kicking speccy/snap contest.

As John Kennedy (I believe) said, ā€œfootyā€™s a simple game, the ruckman taps it to the rover, the rover kicks it to the full forward, the full forward kicks a goalā€

I think the John Kennedyā€™s mantra was more like ā€œyou get the ball and kick it as far forward as possible; then itā€™s someone elseā€™s problemā€¦ā€

I think the John Kennedy's mantra was more like "you get the ball and kick it as far forward as possible; then it's someone else's problem..."

So essentially:

ā€œCanā€™t someone else do it?ā€

Itā€™s safe to confirm that Joe Daniher is not a Full forward.
He should be playing from Centre Half forward, roaming between the centre circle and 40 metres from goal.

The next step is getting a player to the club that can play full forward. Whether that be via a trade or taking a kid in the draft.

We need to start controlling the middle and goals will come from there. We also do need to chase a 2nd KP forward. IMO Bellchambers wonā€™t be that option.

Patton/Daniher are both not mobile enough. We would need to put Patton in the square and move Daniher up the ground. Jenkins would be a better option as Jenkins is a lot more mobile.

We wonā€™t get either though. Best to look for a tall in the draft.

It's safe to confirm that Joe Daniher is not a Full forward. He should be playing from Centre Half forward, roaming between the centre circle and 40 metres from goal.

The next step is getting a player to the club that can play full forward. Whether that be via a trade or taking a kid in the draft.

Yeah, but they should keep putting him there on the team sheet to stir up everyone who takes it literally.

We need to start controlling the middle and goals will come from there. We also do need to chase a 2nd KP forward. IMO Bellchambers won't be that option.

Patton/Daniher are both not mobile enough. We would need to put Patton in the square and move Daniher up the ground. Jenkins would be a better option as Jenkins is a lot more mobile.

We wonā€™t get either though. Best to look for a tall in the draft.

So who do we put there while we wait for a draftee to mature?

I actually think Joe will be a good FF. I think CHF is his go now because heā€™s struggling and has no help either in the fwd line or from a half decent midfield, so itā€™s good to get him involved.

Are people still really calling for JoeDan to be ā€˜moved up the groundā€™???
Donā€™t you watch games? Heā€™s been moved, ok?

Hooker will clearly be playing FF unless we can get Hogan / Patton / Jenkins

We'll go around and around in circles in this thread until we draft/trade actual forwards. Not midfielders in the forward pockets. Not defenders being switched to forwards.

Forwards. Guys who have goal sense. Thats what we need. Until then, itā€™ll be a dogs breakfast up there

Funny you say that, who exactly do you and people think will be pushed into the HFF possies next year ?
youā€™d have to go with Zerrett and parish at this stage, which doesnā€™t solve the forwardline problem.

Agree we need genuine forwards, who know how to play as forwards.
Still think it pales into insignificance however if you donā€™t have a gameplan to actually score goals.

Think it still needs to be
build tactics/gameplan
find players to play forward
find players to deliver the ball better.

Funny you say that, who exactly do you and people think will be pushed into the HFF possies next year ?
youā€™d have to go with Zerrett and parish at this stage, which doesnā€™t solve the forwardline problem.

Agree we need genuine forwards, who know how to play as forwards.
Still think it pales into insignificance however if you donā€™t have a gameplan to actually score goals.

Think it still needs to be
build tactics/gameplan
find players to play forward
find players to deliver the ball better.

I hope we go for more youth and pace in the middle than what weā€™ve had in the past. I reckon that means more time for Zerrett and Parish in the guts. Seem made for the sweeper and receiver roles. Good and quick by hand and foot as well as decent wheels to beat opponents. Weā€™ve traditionally had a set up like Watson, Hocking and Heppell which has gone well at times but does miss that extra nano-second and perhaps a touch of ultra high gloss polish at times. Also, thereā€™s a natural changing of the guard coming as well as a semi-forced one due to circumstances. Not that any of those guys wont be involved, obviously.

Iā€™m thinking guys like Fantasia, Zaka and Colyer will move between wing and HFF more. Older stagers like Watson and Cooney spending time at HF too. Myers and Heppell should be predominantly involved in the center bounces. Stanton and Goddard can use their experience through HB or HF. Tippa might get more time in the middle but I like his run off HB too much to use him forward too much. If we had another one of him Iā€™d put him on the other HBF!

Laverde, Langford, Eades, Redman, Morganā€¦ all seem like HF/mid types (first two more contested). Who knows, one or two of them might turn into that more permanent small forward weā€™ve been waiting eons for.

Still need a big FF so all of Hartley, Hurley and Hooker can play back at the same time! PErhaps Brown will make it his own for now.

Apparently weā€™ve been trying to convince Stokes to go around again next season.

I find it interesting that at the end of last season, he was open to options (stay at Geelong, a trade to another club, or retire) depending on the best offer. We didnā€™t go after him. But apparently want him to play on next season.

I think heā€™ll wait till the end of the season to make his decision.

Apparently we've been trying to convince Stokes to go around again next season.

I find it interesting that at the end of last season, he was open to options (stay at Geelong, a trade to another club, or retire) depending on the best offer. We didnā€™t go after him. But apparently want him to play on next season.

Heā€™ll do it but on the condition that he can wear blue at training and appear uncommitted.

Parish and zerret are mids and will start there regardless of who returns next year.

??

??

Agreed. Even if up to it, heā€™s played a handful of the 11 games. Thatā€™s a tiny sample size and not a good indicator of being able to stay on the park.

??

Legit, itā€™s pretty common knowledge

build the midfield to an elite 2 way running class outfit.