How do we fix the forward line?

Apparently we've been trying to convince Stokes to go around again next season.

I find it interesting that at the end of last season, he was open to options (stay at Geelong, a trade to another club, or retire) depending on the best offer. We didn’t go after him. But apparently want him to play on next season.

I think he’ll wait till the end of the season to make his decision.

Huh

What

Dafuq

Surely this is a joke

I find it interesting that at the end of last season, he was open to options (stay at Geelong, a trade to another club, or retire) depending on the best offer. We didn’t go after him. But apparently want him to play on next season.

Huh

What

Dafuq

Surely this is a joke

The very legal Sam Lane said as much on the coverage for last week’s game. Who knows whether it’s true or not.

Jack Gunston, Offer him the world.

I agree with Milanista28! Gunston would solve our forward woes to an extent, though we need some delivery!

I still think kicking all goals from outside 50 is a legitimate solution

I still think kicking all goals from outside 50 is a legitimate solution

Strongly agree.

We are in a unique position where our kicking accuracy doesn’t improve the closer we get to goals… so why not.

We could bring Fletch out of retirement to help us implement it.

??

Legit, it’s pretty common knowledge

Common amongst who?

I’ve never heard it, and now I’m hearing it I don’t believe it

??

Legit, it’s pretty common knowledge

Common amongst who?

I’ve never heard it, and now I’m hearing it I don’t believe it

General knowledge. Fits our recruitment profile perfectly. Over the hill, skills fading, hungry for a super increase.

New team rule: if you are ahead of the ball watch the pill and present, you are only allowed to double back after a lead, always present as your first option, leave the guys pushing forward from the wing to try and get in behind. Stop hanging our mids out to dry by circling back to the goal square when they are carrying the pill under pressure.

If you took away the goals of the hawks top 5 goal kickers, they still would have beaten us.

There’s no way Stokes is going round again. Jesus help us.

Seeing the 2 Ruck setup in play, it allowed one to rest forward at times. This freed up Joe to play up the ground. He was everywhere. Great to see him play more man on man, not 2-3 man on man. When there wasn’t a ruck forward, Brown managed to slip in there.
The forward line looked a little better than it has done. I think the painfully slow delivery and the huge time it takes getting the ball out of the backline is messing with the forward line big time. The opposition had heaps of time to set their defence, added pressure and we cough up a turnover for a goal 20 seconds later.

The saints fixed theirs by picking up Bruce for pick 48 and Membrey for nothing.
And we think Dodoro’s doing a good job.

The saints fixed theirs by picking up Bruce for pick 48 and Membrey for nothing. And we think Dodoro's doing a good job.

GWS is literally overflowing with talented talls that arent even getting games. James Stewart is one we could go after

When was the last time we legitimately recruited a small forward, Dell ?
Its like our recruiting team just doesn’t rate them.

The saints fixed theirs by picking up Bruce for pick 48 and Membrey for nothing. And we think Dodoro's doing a good job.

Since 2010

Heppell, Hibberd (4 busts, not a great year)
Baguley as a rookie (current VC, should be VC sans bans IMO) (not a great year, though Crameri promoted is a big win)
Joe, Gleeson, (Ashby and Hams may yet still make it)
Zach (at 26), Fantasia (at 55) (Home run considering picks stripped), Ambrose too
Langford, Laverde, Long, McKenna (probably gets half credit for Long but I will go early and say very good year with home run potential)
Parish, Francis, Brown, Hartley Tippa, maybe Redman, Morgan/Eades/Nyuon/Wallis plenty of time to go either way (borderline very very good already, could be a best draft in recent memory but lets not go early).

In recent years he has done tremendously especially with draft sanctions.

Don’t know why I wasted my time doing that

Sam Day (Suns) is clunking them today.

He’s out of contract.

Might be a better cheaper option than Patton or Jenkins.

When was the last time we legitimately recruited a small forward, Dell ? Its like our recruiting team just doesn't rate them.

Eades

Edit. {cue for someone to quote this post and tell me he’s more suited to the wing}

Since 2010

Baguley as a rookie (current VC, should be VC sans bans IMO) (not a great year, though Crameri promoted is a big win)
Zach (at 26), Fantasia (at 55) (Home run considering picks stripped), Ambrose too
Langford, Laverde, Long, McKenna (probably gets half credit for Long but I will go early and say very good year with home run potential)
Parish, Francis, Brown, Hartley Tippa, maybe Redman, Morgan/Eades/Nyuon/Wallis plenty of time to go either way (borderline very very good already, could be a best draft in recent memory but lets not go early).

It is interesting that it seems like the more compromised our drafting has been, the better he has got, and with a free hand last year may well have outdone himself.

Potentially we have picked up 8 soon enough to be best 22 players last year, (yes going a bit early there). Considering there were years like 2006 where we had 10 players selected with 3 top 20 draft picks, and we have none of them left in the side. The best thing about that draft for us was Luenbuerger and Mitch Brown coming to us eventually.

I think we may have the ingredients of a decent forward line already with JD, Hooker, Brown, Colyer, Fantasia and Laverde/Langford, minus a genuine small forward and depth, so this next draft could be key in setting us up in the future and then it will be a matter of replacing Watson, Stanton and Goddard in the medium term.

1 Like

Since 2010

Interestingly the only things we haven’t picked up in that time is a second key tall and a small forward that we know can small forward yet. Done pretty well covering everything else though and yes, despite sanctions.