How do we fix the forward line?

Can someone explain why we can’t have a stay at home full forward? I don’t get it. Doesn’t that mean a stay at home full back and if all forwards are leading and creating space there will be separation and options for us and headaches for them. To quote Pauline please explain

Can someone explain why we can't have a stay at home full forward? I don't get it. Doesn't that mean a stay at home full back and if all forwards are leading and creating space there will be separation and options for us and headaches for them. To quote Pauline please explain
And I thought you'd named yourself after Ian Shelton… Silly me !
Sam Day (Suns) is clunking them today.

He’s out of contract.

Might be a better cheaper option than Patton or Jenkins.

I would chip into the salary to try and lure Peter Wright to come. Kid will be a jet

He’s an Essendon lad, and doesn’t like the culture up in GC. We could get him if we wanted him.

Is General Patton better?

Can someone explain why we can't have a stay at home full forward? I don't get it. Doesn't that mean a stay at home full back and if all forwards are leading and creating space there will be separation and options for us and headaches for them. To quote Pauline please explain
And I thought you'd named yourself after Ian Shelton… Silly me !

Pretty sure it was after Bewick.

Because its not 1995

So does that mean Lockett, Dunstall, Lloyd would struggle today? Surely if you had a hard leading full-forward with good hands and a straight kick you could structure plays around that. I find it frustrating to see midfielders hold the ball up because all the forwards have pushed up the ground which creates great pressure but reduces the inside 50 options to almost zero.

Loved our forward line today. Can’t stop smiling

It was better, but still 11 goals is not a return that will win you many games. Obviously this year we were always going to struggle offensively, but there are some really pleasing signs that we can build off. Joey’s best season goal return under these circumstances is a massive plus, Raz is the standout though. Another 3 yesterday, he is a smart footballer and he gets his goals in different way. Presenting up, working back into space over the back, set shots, goals on the run, snaps. 28 in 18 games is a decent return, should get to 30 before the season is out. Laverde has shown enough nous around the sticks to suggest he will be a quality medium sized option. They are the 3 we can bank on, we need to add to that. A 2nd key forward is a must, Peter Wright would be the guy I’d look at trying to lure over. The twin towers with Joey would be something we can well and truly build around.

im starting to think that patton would actually fit in quite nicely, despite him being a truck

even if hes just a target, makes some defenders ■■■■ themselves with his pure size, will allow daniher to roam free over the HF line and wings, with raz and laverde to pose legitimate crubming and smaller mobile forward threats

im starting to think that patton would actually fit in quite nicely, despite him being a truck

even if hes just a target, makes some defenders ■■■■ themselves with his pure size, will allow daniher to roam free over the HF line and wings, with raz and laverde to pose legitimate crubming and smaller mobile forward threats

Hooker will do the same role just as well, and won’t cost a top 10 pick.

Yep, let’s spend the first pick on the best mid in the draft.

A lot hinges on whether Hurley stays or not. If he decides to depart then it is an option we will have to consider. Hooker would need to play back definitely in that scenario. Or, how much do you value having Hurley (should he stay) and Hooker as your 2 keys down back and pretty much an AFL best defensive spine? We’ve spent so many years playing defenders as forwards and vice versa, for once it would be nice to play players in their best positions.

im assuming hurley is gone, should have made that clear

Peter Wright is our man. Pick 1 this year or next straight up.

im assuming hurley is gone, should have made that clear

Of course you are …

Not the first time I’ve heard it but during the Richmond - Geelong the commentators remarked on how Richmond were getting the ball in forward but had no structure. How often do we see this!? Perhaps the key to our forward line lies in good structure (coaching), skilled cattle, and a dominant midfield. You look at the top teams and when the ball goes forward there are options, unlike us at the moment with one option only most of the time. Not asking for too much am I?

The better teams have also had a settled lineup of options so they know where players a re likely to be and what their capabilities are.
Hawks have had Gunston, Brest, Rioli, Puopolo, Roughly.
Adelaide have had Tex, Betts, our ex-rookie listed player (name escapes me).
West Coast have had Le Cras, Kennedy, Darling.
Sydney have had Buddy, Tippett.
All have been in their forward line the last three years.

What have we had?
Joey D has been the only constant. Hurley for apart of one year. Hooker last year. Courtney Dempsey last year. Razza this year. Mitch Brown this year.
Who knows how it’s going to look next year.

The forward line needs talented options to play with continuity to grow and learn together.
Obviously, the midfield talent needs to be better skilled at making decisions as well.

“How do we fix the forwardline?”

With a fleet of midgets apparently

LOL, thread goes instantly from BYE HURLEY to SOLVED.

1 Like

I hope he kicks as many goals from CHB as Scott Lucas did