How do we fix the forward line?

Big
Boi
BEGLEY

1 Like

Hilarious that this thread was started last year when we were on a hiding to nothing. Our forward line is fine.

1 Like

How much skip is a skipworth worth?

Agree with what you said 100 percent. Yes the personal making up the fwd line has improved of that there is no doubt. But its nothing compared to way we are entering the fwd line. Fast ball movement, and attacking footy is exactly whats making it work. It is the very reason that there is space for fwds to lead into, or at the very least one on ones.

But it is also putting pressure on the backline. With this sort of footy you will turn the ball over more. Plus have players who have run fwd and cant get back quick enough to defend. So therefore likely to concede more inside 50’s. At the moment once the op is able to win the footy back they are going fwd and either scoring or locking it in there. When we come out of there fwd line, we take risks and run fwd anticipating we are going to get the ball. When this does’t come off its straight back in there fwd line.

If we where slow and stagnant, controlled the ball, and played safe (like we used too) we would probably get it in there more often and the op would have less inside 50’s. But the fwd line would be crowed with op players, and everyone on here would be blaming our fwds again. Remember those days we would have more inside 50’s and lose games. It was little to do with the fwd line.

The trick is to find the correct balance, I think we are a bit too attacking at times, and tend to turn the ball over, as we are reluctant to kick the ball long down the line. We would prefer to try get the ball moving with quick handballs until we find someone in space. This has resulted in us overhand-balling and giving it to guys under to much pressure.

But I think what we are doing is on the right track, playing safe footy would probably see us as a middle of the comp side with little upside. I am certain we are on the right track, sure we will get scored against heavily against good sides (like Adelaide) who will punish us badly on turnovers. But if we don’t take the game on we will never kick enough goals to beat the top sides.

As the team gets more experience playing together we will get better at knowing when to attack and knowing when to defend. Then we will be able to match it with the best.

4 Likes

the adelaide model. they score 100 we score 140.

1 Like

Yep our model is very similar, we tried to take them on at there own game. But we have a fair way to go, which is understandable.

1 Like

yeah they’ve had 3 or so years of somewhat continuity for the players to learn the gameplan.

2 Likes

Exactly, John sore and liked what they where becoming there, plus played a small part in it while he was there. Now he is obviously trying to implement it.

1 Like

Joedan kicking from centre square for an easy goal, forward line fixed!

Are you guys saying Barnz should wash his car for a year, or more like he owes him a wristy or something?

Impossible to say without knowing if the skipworth worth skip worth.

Huh? :wink:

I have no idea what you’re talking about here but what I do know is that my car needs washing. Literally. Not Euphemistically.

I said he was rubbish after watching some ■■■■ performances in the vfl. i still stand by it. we’ve got some naturally talented forwards and the midfield ball movement once we get past the halfway point is so much cleaner.

So it’s okay to bag the crap out of him when the forward line is ■■■■, but when it improves it is because of something else? What do you know about his coaching that three senior coaches haven’t been able to identify?

1 Like

Nothing. Its an opinion I have. I also thought kav could still make it and Nash was hard done by. Why is it such a crime to not like or even detest things about the club?

It’s not a crime. But surely you need more evidence than the ‘vibe’ you felt at a VFL game or two. The evidence I can see is that three senior coaches have backed him in as someone they want on their team. As people who have seen him do his job, knowing exactly what he is doing on a day-to-day basis, I’d trust their judgement over viewing him do his work from the stands of a VFL ground.

3 Likes

basically I just don’t think he had what it took to be a successful coach. I wasn’t gonna post anything about him because the amount of crazed following i got from some here. But they clearly can’t move on so its brought up here.

I’ll apologise when we win a flag.

Skips come in all sizes these days depends on how big you want your skip.

Detest things ???

There are always things that I don’t like at EFC; like clash jumpers, that ■■■■■■ air-raid siren, Joey’s hairy lip and maybe some other things, but detest is pretty strong.

Kav was never gonna make it.