How many AFL teams do we really need/want?

I liked it better when there was only 16 teams

I donā€™t care how many teams you want but can just everyone stop trying to send every failed poxy Victorian club in whatever form down here.
Itā€™s hard enough driving to work looking at advertising for the upcoming ā€œfestival of hawthornā€.
Stop it. Now.

4 Likes

Legit? Well it involves a lot of things going right, and live attendance expectations being brought down to NRL level, but Iā€™d love two 20-team divisions with promotion and relegation. But Iā€™m an enormous nerd who would probably watch 16-18 of those 20 games per week.

26 round season, everyone plays each other twice

1 Like

My theory isā€¦if you have 2 interstate teams and they canā€™t even fill the ground for a derbyā€¦you donā€™t need two teams in that State.

4 Likes

North should consider a move.
Keep the same strip but say become the Launceston or Hobart Shinboners or something like that. They play games out of Tassie already and itā€™s in their History. Would make them viable and more interesting.

Rename the doggies back to Footscray. They were founded in 1877 for goodness sake, they need to stop ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  on their history as well.

Bring back white coats and hats for goal umpires. A signature of our game. Americans get this sort of stuff.

Play a reserves or womens game before every AFL match.

Shorten the game to 20 minute quarters.

Open up the food and beverage outlets to competition at the games for better quality, variety and price.

Play 2 games on a Friday night across the nation. Eastern game start it earlier to allow an Adelaide or Perth game after. (shortened games will allow it).

Bin Sunday twilight as a result.

Thats what Iā€™d do immediately to fix things.

Donā€™t mind the idea of forced 6-6-6 set up at centre bounces.

I think they have the compromised draw reasonably decent with the rules around who you play twice. Playing once doesnā€™t make it fair, because no one can tell me playing Sydney or WestCoast for example are just as easy away as they are at home.

1 Like

Thereā€™s a case for a Tassie team and possibly a NT team too

Thereā€™s a case to remove the Suns, their supporter base dropped 20% year on year according to the roy morgan survey, they are going nowhereon and off the field. We could probably drop one Victorian team too. Demons or Roos, bottom of the table on supprter base.

I donā€™t think you can add more teams. Clubs are risking losses when they host interstate clubs as it is.

I love the idea of a Tassie team. I think they deserve one, I think the financials actually stack up, and I think it would be good for the game.

But. The only issue with it would be player retention. It would be impossible. Think itā€™s hard to convince an 18yo kid from Melbourne to go and live on the Gold Coast? Try convincing them to go live in farkin Hobart.

2 Likes

Hobart is on the up, its attracting 25-35 year olds at an alarming rate (look at property prices).

Imagine playing an away game in August at Bellerive surrounded by 22000 Hobartions, 4 degrees, sideways rain, snow on mount wellington. Would be a nightmare away game.

1 Like

Thatā€™s true, but weā€™re talking 18 year olds. They donā€™t want to live in Hobart. They donā€™t care about property prices. They want nightlife.

1 Like

True true.

Look how thatā€™s working on the Gold Coast. Think the real answer is players want their mates and family.

1 Like

l am against anything that changes the length of a game. Shorten the season if we must, but not each individual game. All the old records would instantly become meaningless and the history of the game would be compromised.

2 Likes

It appears that the afl want 2 teams in the non footy states so they can manufacture some ā€˜rivalryā€™ - believing that this is the way to increase interest. I canā€™t think of any other reason for wasting so much money.
It would have made more sense to set up a Tasmanian team. I think there would be issues about where it would be basedā€¦ but I am sure that could be worked out.
Having said that, the fixture will always be compromised while there are not enough games to play each other twice - or too many to play ea other once. Unless they can think of some creative way to change it.

Thatā€™s a reasonable point. What records are you worried about?

Game times with time on have been going on longer and longer and we have had rule/ strategies changes like rotations and substitute players which really if you think about it make no two games exactly the same.

For me there are 4 teams to go or merge with another team (but not with each other).
Gold Coast Suns, Greater Western Sydney, North Melbourne and St. Kilda are the 4 that immediately come to mind. Fremantle need to be consistently more competitive as do the Bulldogs.

This would make it a 14 team competition where the season could be slightly extended so teams will get to play each other twice,

If teams donā€™t play each other twice it will never be a fair comp, I am not a fan of grouping teams for that reason.

thats a fair tertiary education rate for tasmania.

5 Likes

If a club canā€™t sustain itself consistently without AFL handouts, it shouldnā€™t be in the AFL.

3 Likes

Merge Carlscum with Collifilth, and call them the Collingwood Magpies.

Merge Melbourne with Hawthorn and call them the Melbourne Storks.

Send Gold Coast to Cairns and rename then Far Que Stingers.

Send Kangas to Tassie, and forget they exist

Bulldogs to Darwin as the Feral Pigs

St Kilda to Moe as the Gippsland Moccasins

And in the second year ā€¦

3 Likes

Then a 6 day break to play the Darwin Crocs in a balmy 36 degrees.

1 Like