Howlett's Goal

Problem i have is that even on the replays it is far too inconclusive. So just give it the benefit of the doubt and move on. The special comments media are going completely over the top about it, souring what looks to be goal of the year!

Even if it hit the back of the post, which it doesn’t look like, that means it first cleared the goal line anyway.

You couldn't possibly call it a point on the evidence. These things happen in footy.

I couldn’t say definitively that it hit the post from watching the replay several times.

I keep hearing from the (so called) experts that it deviated from its line.

Guess what, it’s a banana so there is always a point when the ball will begin to bend sharply, depending on how well the kick has been executed.

If GOTY comes down to Howlett or Betts from last week, it’s going to be a close call.

Perhaps Howlett given the state of the game (crows had clawed to within 2 goals).

But we know that they will give it to Betts, based on conjecture that Benny’s may have hit the post.

Do you know why this thread is called “Howlett’s Goal”? Because that is what it was.

It was awarded a goal on the score sheet last night as it will be tomorrow or 10 years from now, end of story. Close thread.

bobcat_front.jpg

Commentators relied on one front-on angle and kept dismissing all the other closer angles that suggested it didn't move at all.

Six of the best to me.

The ball absolutely didn’t change trajectory so the commentators can GAGF. I will take people’s word for it that it hit the post, but as most people I’ve spoken to have said, it took them ages to see it, so if there were a review it’d be inconclusive and a goal anyway.

Funny how no one talks about Vince’s goal last week that was a point and got over turned on barely enough footage (certainly not conclusive)

Funny how no one talks about Vince's goal last week that was a point and got over turned on barely enough footage (certainly not conclusive)

There was more evidence that Vince'■■■■■ the post than Howlett's.
But FFS BT kept whining as if there was conclusive evidence that it did hit the post.

Something went our way.  Fark the rest.

Funny how no one talks about Vince's goal last week that was a point and got over turned on barely enough footage (certainly not conclusive)

There was more evidence that Vince'■■■■■ the post than Howlett's.
But FFS BT kept whining as if there was conclusive evidence that it did hit the post.

That fvckstick was carrying on for about an hour after the fact. The footage was inconclusive, clearly the goal ump was sure it was a goal so they didn't review it.
Fark you brian taylor you big spastic.

It was discussed on the radio when I was driving home and apparently a couple of crows players claimed it had hit the post. The field umpire asked the goal umpire who said it was clearly a goal and field maggot said "all clear". QED.

As for BT and his commentary well doesn't everybody know he is a tool of the highest order. Someone just needs to yell in his ear that commentators are there to call and enhance the game for the TV watchers, not run his own show. Tim's jibe was great.

Which was???

LOL you lot are all in denial.

The AFL are saying the umpire upstairs reviewed the goal anyway and declared that there was insufficient evidence to overturn the decision so let it go.  Therefore even if it had been reviewed onfield as BT was demanding, it would have made zero difference and the goal would have stood as the goal umpire said it was a goal.
The media need to get over themselves.

Cvmf1vz.gif

remember when ablett won mark of the year when he actually dropped it?

Following in a long tradition: same thing for Trevor Barker's MOTY.

Goal every day of the week hehe

And this is still my favourite Essendon goal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfzUAVMec6I

compare that to our current day players and they would have blindly bombed it forward in any direction.

God we miss players with such composure under pressure.

And this is still my favourite Essendon goal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfzUAVMec6I

compare that to our current day players and they would have blindly bombed it forward in any direction.
God we miss players with such composure under pressure.
Yeah he'd never ■■■■ the bed in front of goal and cost us a prelim or anything like that.

i reckon in these situations the umps should be trained to put there hand on the post to feel for fibration