I have a proposal

Thought this was going to be a marriage proposal to the forum.

Well we do have a celebrant in Blitz ranks that can facilitate that.

As for the proposal itself I have a better idea. Everyone becomes local umpires and learns the ropes to become senior umpires in our own right. Only way to change is not complain about it but drive it.

Well we do have a celebrant in Blitz ranks that can facilitate that.

As for the proposal itself I have a better idea. Everyone becomes local umpires and learns the ropes to become senior umpires in our own right. Only way to change is not complain about it but drive it.

I don’t think you understand. That would mean going outside.

I will start by acknowledging that this may sound silly, adventurous and quite far-fetched, but anyhow...

The umpiring performances over the last few weeks have just about pushed me over the edge as a supporter, and the tipping point for me was last weekend where you would’ve thought it was the same utterly incompetent clowns on Saturday at Windy Hill as we had to endure on Thursday evening. Combined with the GWS match two weeks prior, and other mind-boggling umpiring performances in our games this year notably Gold Coast in Round 1, Port Adelaide in Round 3 and StKilda in Round 9.

If there is one thing that our supporters and members have been succeeded at recently and in years gone by, it is making a stand. Sadly, it is at times when we fear the club isn’t going to take a course of action so we must. Campaigns also started right here like Stand By Hird and Back Our Boys were noticeable. They were real, and as a supporter it felt unbelievable to be a part of. When we make protests, when we take a stance, despite how much people hate it; they notice it.

Free kicks paid and free kicks missed this year in our games are not just about quantity. As many have pointed out, it is the timing, location on the ground and the consequences of free kicks - such as resulting in an opposition goal - that are the most painful. Sadly I am not sure the whole idea of conspiring and corrupt umpiring in our games coming as a directive from above is a joke any longer.

I have intentions of compiling a report on the umpiring in Essendon matches across the 2016 season, and seeking an explanation from the afl. I am of the opinion they have to be held to account for this, they must explain themselves over this because for lots of our supporters this is becoming too much to handle. The report would not be completed until after our season concludes, but the most important part of it will be the proposed e-Petition attached to it. This concept probably means very little on face value, and will likely have little impact on it’s own. However if a few thousand signatures were attached from Essendon people, I believe the request would carry a lot more weight.

Having umpired several years of junior and senior football myself, I watch both live and replays of our matches and most weeks I am baffled. Sometimes the umpiring is beyond belief, and to me, seems to be something that is getting worse and worse as the weeks go on. And this is without even delving into past seasons gone by.

What do I want from my fellow Blitzers? Your thoughts, ideas, criticisms too. Is something like this worth running with if it can garner enough support? And if so, your support and ideas. I think this idea can work but I will need more brains on this than just my own.

Cheers
TVB

I like your enthusiasm and employ your actions, however for info, if you are going to do this, I say commit fully and do a 20 year study of every game and every club. The data set would be huge as you would need considerable amounts of meta data about a free kick, and then a comprehensive statistical analysis to determine any underlying causal relationships. Anything less than this and I’m sorry to say you are wasting your time.

The reason I say this is the sheer amount of variables to consider and requirement to document each one accurately. Remember you will be up against champion data which is partially owned by the AFL. Off the top of my head you would need something along the lines of the following about each free kick.

• Time in the game
  • Location on the ground
  • Free kick to, player and team
  • Free kick from, player and team
  • Free kick type paid
  • Umpire who payed the free kick
  • previous 3-5 actions that occurred prior to the free kick
  • Next 3-5 actions that occurred after the free kick
  • Interpreted Rating of free kick accuracy in %
  • Commentators prediction of free kick accuracy (as an independent comparitor)
  • Score at the time and at each of the previous and next actions
  • Ladder position of the teams
  • Previous ladder position week before and after
  • last and next years ladder position

And a few other things I’ve probably have not thought of yet.

If time is an issue then you might consider paying for an educating some people in India through freelancer for a couple of bucks and hour. If your not a stats guy then you could chuck the data set up on kaggle.com for a competition on the data. That way the independent analysis they do would be objective and to an extremely high level. It would become very hard to argue with any bias or causality they discovered. But be careful, they may not discover anything that confirms your hypothesis.

I will start by acknowledging that this may sound silly, adventurous and quite far-fetched, but anyhow...

The umpiring performances over the last few weeks have just about pushed me over the edge as a supporter, and the tipping point for me was last weekend where you would’ve thought it was the same utterly incompetent clowns on Saturday at Windy Hill as we had to endure on Thursday evening. Combined with the GWS match two weeks prior, and other mind-boggling umpiring performances in our games this year notably Gold Coast in Round 1, Port Adelaide in Round 3 and StKilda in Round 9.

If there is one thing that our supporters and members have been succeeded at recently and in years gone by, it is making a stand. Sadly, it is at times when we fear the club isn’t going to take a course of action so we must. Campaigns also started right here like Stand By Hird and Back Our Boys were noticeable. They were real, and as a supporter it felt unbelievable to be a part of. When we make protests, when we take a stance, despite how much people hate it; they notice it.

Free kicks paid and free kicks missed this year in our games are not just about quantity. As many have pointed out, it is the timing, location on the ground and the consequences of free kicks - such as resulting in an opposition goal - that are the most painful. Sadly I am not sure the whole idea of conspiring and corrupt umpiring in our games coming as a directive from above is a joke any longer.

I have intentions of compiling a report on the umpiring in Essendon matches across the 2016 season, and seeking an explanation from the afl. I am of the opinion they have to be held to account for this, they must explain themselves over this because for lots of our supporters this is becoming too much to handle. The report would not be completed until after our season concludes, but the most important part of it will be the proposed e-Petition attached to it. This concept probably means very little on face value, and will likely have little impact on it’s own. However if a few thousand signatures were attached from Essendon people, I believe the request would carry a lot more weight.

Having umpired several years of junior and senior football myself, I watch both live and replays of our matches and most weeks I am baffled. Sometimes the umpiring is beyond belief, and to me, seems to be something that is getting worse and worse as the weeks go on. And this is without even delving into past seasons gone by.

What do I want from my fellow Blitzers? Your thoughts, ideas, criticisms too. Is something like this worth running with if it can garner enough support? And if so, your support and ideas. I think this idea can work but I will need more brains on this than just my own.

Cheers
TVB

I like your enthusiasm and employ your actions, however for info, if you are going to do this, I say commit fully and do a 20 year study of every game and every club. The data set would be huge as you would need considerable amounts of meta data about a free kick, and then a comprehensive statistical analysis to determine any underlying causal relationships. Anything less than this and I’m sorry to say you are wasting your time.

The reason I say this is the sheer amount of variables to consider and requirement to document each one accurately. Remember you will be up against champion data which is partially owned by the AFL. Off the top of my head you would need something along the lines of the following about each free kick.

• Time in the game
  • Location on the ground
  • Free kick to, player and team
  • Free kick from, player and team
  • Free kick type paid
  • Umpire who payed the free kick
  • previous 3-5 actions that occurred prior to the free kick
  • Next 3-5 actions that occurred after the free kick
  • Interpreted Rating of free kick accuracy in %
  • Commentators prediction of free kick accuracy (as an independent comparitor)
  • Score at the time and at each of the previous and next actions
  • Ladder position of the teams
  • Previous ladder position week before and after
  • last and next years ladder position

And a few other things I’ve probably have not thought of yet.

If time is an issue then you might consider paying for an educating some people in India through freelancer for a couple of bucks and hour. If your not a stats guy then you could chuck the data set up on kaggle.com for a competition on the data. That way the independent analysis they do would be objective and to an extremely high level. It would become very hard to argue with any bias or causality they discovered. But be careful, they may not discover anything that confirms your hypothesis.

TVB & Nocturnal. I’ve started to put a spreadsheet together. Nothing fancy but interesting to say the least.

Cheers
TVB

Good idea, and I am also ■■■■■■ for same reason. I proposed similar last year on this forum, someone ‘with time’ and resources to put together footage of decisions that had the commentators, esp Ling and Carey, flummoxed over the replays, and there was at least 2-3 times a game instances when momentum changing/killing decisions were made.
It seemed to me that the umps that they were somehow punishing us for asada story, that they felt we were guilty even tho afl had said we were not, and set out to screw ‘the cheats’. Not in a deliberate way, but just like majority of footy fans reckon we were guilty, umps most likely felt (not thought, which is more rational) the same.

Sometimes frees have just killed us - eg the Swans game last year, we are in front in last 1/4, good tough game, likely to win - Buddy had dog of game, gets absurd free, from Hooker I think, kicks goal, gets pumped, wakes up crowd, and then kicks 1-2 more, swans win.

My mate reckons bad frees hurt more when you are losing, as when you are often losing your belief gets a bit brittle, and can lose momentum, get deflated, really easily, esp if there are also sloppy turnovers, missed easy goals etc added to mix too. "even the umps are against us’.
I think last year esp, decisions just wore us down because we were already brittle, battered us even more. Flattened confidence over and over. Actually can say same things about last 4 seasons.

We get 3-4 bad decisions and we are rattled, momentum and confidence gets shot as usually equates to scoreboard pressure. A bad free can feel like a knife in the guts to us, while for Hawks, Swans, Cats, they are just a free and they absorb them and regroup.

This year - well I do not think it cost us any games, tho that not important anyway this year, but it has pushed players back in their shell. Tippa has been crap since the high tackle non-decisions against gws, Dempsey, our best tackler, laid perfect tackle and got pinged - will he do same again? Probably not, and we just lost a big weapon, and who knows how many goals that costs us over the year, or rest of his career, if he goes soft.
So, with that in mind, I am gonna watch our games and frees and see if my frustration with umpires is connected to my desperation for us to play well and win games. ie, how much of my response to these frees is a reflection of the stress of dealing with the supplements crap for 4 years.

I love idea of e-petition, if we get enough maybe maybe can force enquiry, maybe from Ch 7
Cheers

First thing would be is watch non Essendon games and then keep track of a couple of teams to see if they cop the same.
Thing is even if there’s some substance to it, the afl will find another way. I think you’re right in that the gimps in yellow probably are pinging us, but the afl want us down in any way possible for years to come. Public won’t acknowledge it or look too closely because they don’t think for themselves anymore or just think we’re fully deserving of what ever comes out way.
if there’s karma than it better come with a plastic mat to cover the comission boardroom carpet because it’s going to be messy.

I believe that there is a subconscious bias in umpires that favors favourite / more successful teams. I think that the umpires coach needs to address this (frequently ) and to provide them with counselling and psychological skills that they can use to help avoid this subconscious bias.
I remember in 2000 when we had a super team we got an excellent run from the umpires!
The exact opposite to now when it seems every fifty fifty decision goes against us.
I feel that the psychology of umpiring is not addressed enough - should be a part of their seasons training program.

For anyone saying that the maggots have it in for us due to some subconscious bias - I say this is bullish!+

Take a look at this very short video from 2013. It first shows how the maggots perceive a very light touch by Davey to be worth a free kick. This sets the context for an incident soon afterwards. See if you think they are consistent.

They have been doing this for decades. I certainly do not remember any “excellent run” in 2000. I thought the best that could be said about the maggots then was that they were trying to even up the game in favour of the underdogs we played against.