I think I hit a kangaroo

You were driving at the time? Seems odd that the roo has hit the side of the car and not the front. And there appears to be 2 dents.

Roos have a ridiculous adrenaline level when thy’re freaked out or scared. When they’re being chased by dogs their stress hormone levels will get so high that they’ll often actually overwhelm their own kidneys, which means the roo will die of renal failure some time later. It’s called capture myopathy. When wildlife rescuers are trying to catch them for treatment we have to be really careful not to stress them.

But it does mean they can briefly do extraordinary things even after suffering terrible injuries. They’ll get hit by a car, hop off hyped up to the sky on adrenaline, make it 50m on a shattered pelvis and two broken legs, then collapse and die slow or get picked apart by crows, wild dogs, or pigs while they’re still alive.

If you hit a roo, PLEASE check on it, even if it looks like it was ok and hopped off into the bush.

4 Likes

Yep, when i was in the car with my friend it took off. Got about 100mtrs and collapsed into some bushes. Small country town so the local cop came down and did the deed to put the poor thing out of its misery

That is interesting, but it explains a lot. The only one I have hit - it actually hit me was halfway over a 6ft fence by the time I’d realised what had happened.

( If anyone here lived on Reynolds Rd Templestowe in about 2017 and woke up to a dying roo in their backyard, my bad)

You got off lightly. I’ve seen cars totally written off after hitting a kangaroo.

I hit a kangaroo in a Landcruiser on an Army exercise at Puckapunyal a few years ago. The front passenger side of the car was totalled and the kangaroo had a broken/dislocated leg. It was about 3am and I had no tools to put it down and it was thrashing around horribly. Had to bash it’s head with a rock. I felt horrible about it, but fortunately it was a male and didn’t have a joey.

Stealth, looking for an out after a hit and run on 2 pedestrians.

“No officer, if you look on Bomberblitz at 8:48pm on 5/6, you’ll see i posted that i hit a roo, I didn’t even realise it was 2 people”

PS. I obviously don’t know you Stealth, and don’t think for a second this is actually the case. This was just the first thing that came to my head.

1 Like

Way to blow his alibi, jerk.

9 Likes

“So, anyway, that’s the story of how I met former North Melbourne tagger Brady Rawlings.”

2 Likes

I’m not worried about it, lol.

I hit a sheep once in NZ.
On a mountain bike.
Bloody thing leapt off a bank in front of me just as I was screaming around a bend.
Knocked the f#ck out of me.

Wasn’t extracting some sort of revenge on you was it?? :thinking:

I mean, when in Rome & all that … :smirk:

1 Like

I’ll bet it attracted a lot of interest on your account?

1 Like

FARK

Remember when ruckmen could run and kick?

I miss Barnesy.

Also EAD Blakey.

1 Like

Well… my insurance company raised my excess by $500 because I’ve only been on a full Australian license since October.

I guess the one I had from 2002-2010 doesn’t count.

Shop around. Seriously.

Or just tell them you are going to and see what happens.