If percentage was the ladder

If percentage is the barometer of your club, it’s fair to say we have some very big issues. Even years where we make the finals, clubs below us are Ahead on percentage.

Here’s how we rank when it comes to percentage over the last few years.

2019: 13th - 95.4%
2018: 11th - 105.1%
2017: 7th - 106.5%
2016: 18th - 61%
2015: 15th - 74%
2014: 7th - 106.3%
2013: 9th - 107.3%

A couple of weeks ago against Adelaide, after the game there was two parties of opinion.

1. “we need to bury these teams when we have the lead. It’s concerning that we keep letting the opposition back into games when have done the hard work.”

2. “just be happy, we won! Who cares about the margin. Winning ugly is still winning“

I’m of the strong opinion that if your going to let teams back into the match, you will eventually start dropping the games you have set up to win. It’s become a huge concern.

It’s just as concerning as getting thumped by 60+. I don’t think there is much difference in the mindset of both situations. The players are mentally switching off during a game. That’s the biggest issue I have.

The percentage supports this opinion.

4 Likes

Let’s just admit we are ■■■■?

1 Like

Good post and kinda indicates where we sit. If you look at the woosha years we have been below 10th in every year except 2017. A favourable draw likely helped us make finals last year.

Take it to the “Let’s just admit we are ■■■■” thread.

4 Likes

I thought I was in it.

No, this is the “our percentage is ■■■■” thread.

2 Likes

Oh I’ve got a good one. Imagine if the ladder was ordered by the number of Insta posts by the team. We’d be smashing it!

4 Likes

It’s no surprise when I think our average winning margin is about 8 points and our average losing margin is nearly 30 points. The Dogs and Lions losses completely cooked our percentage. It would be less of an issue if a couple of our wins were by convincing margins to neutralise those heavy defeats, but that’s the reality of where we are at. Even if we held on at the weekend v GWS, a 6-3 record with a % around 90 would be a statistical outlier in terms of teams with a 6-3 record in the AFL era.

1 Like

We were in positions against Freo swans norf and Adelaide to put them to the sword. But we’re ■■■■ so we didn’t and let them back in in every game.

Then when an opponent gets a hold of us they really spank us

It’s been the story for years.

1 Like

I really like the vibe of this thread as opposed to the “lets admit we are ■■■■ thread” which I thought was getting a little stale.

1 Like

Yes but if the ladder was sorted alphabetically we would be 5th.

7 Likes

5th! That’s the problem with this supporter base, always accepting mediocrity!

3 Likes

If it was sorted by premierships we would be 1 (on count back)

1 Like

If the ladder was sorted on last finals win we’d be last.

2 Likes

Percentage stats supports that we are going backwards.

Actual ladder positions in those years:

2013 - 9th (obviously kicked out of the finals, our 14-8 record would have been good enough for 7th).
2014 - 7th (after finals)
2015 - 15th
2016 - 18th
2017 - 8th (after finals)
2018 - 12th
2019 - 8th (after finals)

So from 2013-18 our % roughly correlated with our final ladder position. 2019 was the one anomaly where it was comfortably below our ladder position…

2 Likes

I’d like to discuss this. I mean we all know this is the core of our failings for what seems like forever. We’re obviously not sht (assuming that’s what you said( because we can actually get to the point where we’re 5 goals up on GWS and playing efficient football and not giving them a look in (or going back, being 5 goals up on North in a final). So inside us we actually have the capacity for some good football.

So why, time and again do we cough up these leads, and then either fall over the line, or get done.

Some of it has to be mental, and the “fear of losing”, some of it has to be “in field leadership”, and some of it has to be the coaching group not actually identifying the risks when they’re blatantly obvious to any supporter out there…

Is there any identifiable change that is happening? Do opposition teams, once they realise Essendon are on for “gamestyle 1” and they can’t beat us at that using their plan A, just switch to whatever their Plan B is and grind us down? And do teams that implement that Plan B from the outset just smash us?

I have no idea, but I’d love a coherent analysis of the gamestyles and gameplay changes that takes us from “tight lockdown, no one can score” (1st quarter) to “scoring at will while the opposition can’t get a kick” (2nd quarter) to “we can’t score, opposition struggling bu grinding out a couple of scores” (3rd quarter) to “opposition all over us” 4th quarter.

It can’t be all down to opposition intensity as it happens too often across tooany opponents. And it surely can’t be a fitness/our gamestyle is too taxing to play for 4 quarters issue, as it has happened no matter what gamestyle we’re implementing.

Anyone?

1 Like

So we just need to change one vowel & be Assendon & we’ll be on top every year!!

Why can’t our dumb Club see the simple things we do ffs!!

1 Like

As I said, the same problem applies between conceding goals and giving up a winning lead; and conceding 5-6 goals in a row and eventually getting thumped by 50-60 points.

It’s boils down to the same premise… the players are mentally switching off during a game.

I’m not sure if it’s the fact we don’t have enough competitive players that are hungry to compete, or we have players throwing the game plan out the window because they want to beef up their possession numbers; or we simply have players that someone else is going to do that hard work for them.

But we have a cultural problem of players mentally switching off. I recall this being a huge problem when Knights was coach. When we had players chasing stats.

2 Likes

We’d be second behind Adelaide…

1 Like