If you back the opposition have you sold your soul?

I was sitting with a few Blitzers at the Windy Hill social club one day and confided that on a certain fateful day in 1999 I’d put $30 on the Scum at about 6 to 1. Koala gasped and looked like she was about to smack me over the head and there was a general murmur of disgust coming from the table (I think “instaban” might have been muttered). I felt dirty. And I do recall feeling a bit dirty on that day back in 1999 when - still in full EFC regalia - I’d popped into the TAB on Swan Street and collected my winnings.

But it’s something I did to ease the pain. I couldn’t countenance the idea of losing so I decided that if we lost at least I’d have money to drown my sorrows. And now it’s become a habit. This year I won money on the Filth (backed them to win on ANZAC Day at $3), collected on Freo (backed them to win by > 26 pts) and just got back from the TAB with a healthy payout courtesy of Norf beating us by 0 to 12 points.

I’m bad, I know I’m bad.

It’s wrong, I know deep down that it’s wrong.

But now I’m eyeing off the Brissy Lions at $4.50. Am I the only one with this disgusting habit??

I know someone who does this - the logic is if the team loses at least he made some money.

He is a Hawthorn supporter. Do you want to be in that company?

I will disown you Humbert.
Next you will be buying Rolf Harris art as an investment.

I reckon when your follow your team intently you get a really good read on not only their strengths and weaknesses and how that compares to the side they are slated to come up against each week, but also their patterns from season to season. For example over the last few years, if we have beaten a quality team such as the Hawks, Swans, Cats etc it is worth chucking a 10’er on the Saints, Dees, Lions, Dogs etc if we play them the following week. Or even just taking the other team to beat their line.
Conversely I also back us quite often when we are the underdogs as we love an upset. So you can get good value either backing us to win or to lose with our weird bi-polar mob.
Not entirely what you were getting at I know, but sort of related.

Yes.

And your child’s soul is at risk too.

I never ever tip against essendon no matter what. Just cant bring myself to do it

On my birthday in 2001 a “mate” who was at my birthday party/grand final pissup went down to the TAB at half time and put ten bucks on Brisbane to win. He presented me the winning stub at the end of the game. Since then I have hated Brisbane more than any other team.

Don’t do it Humbert.

Take line which is +27.5. That was Essendon can win by up to 27 points. You get $ 1.90 for it. That was technically your not backing against Essendon for the loss.

youre not tipping against essendon, its insurance.

Betting.
bah

what soul?

Made $200 in 2012 when we lost to Melbourne and made $150 when we lost to Collingwood this year.

If the odds are in our favour and you know we will lose, why not take advantage at the dumb odd-makers?

I have never put a bet against us and lost the dough.

I never ever tip against essendon no matter what. Just cant bring myself to do it

That makes two of us.

I was sitting with a few Blitzers at the Windy Hill social club one day and confided that on a certain fateful day in 1999 I'd put $30 on the Scum at about 6 to 1. Koala gasped and looked like she was about to smack me over the head and there was a general murmur of disgust coming from the table (I think "instaban" might have been muttered). I felt dirty. And I do recall feeling a bit dirty on that day back in 1999 when - still in full EFC regalia - I'd popped into the TAB on Swan Street and collected my winnings.

But it’s something I did to ease the pain. I couldn’t countenance the idea of losing so I decided that if we lost at least I’d have money to drown my sorrows. And now it’s become a habit. This year I won money on the Filth (backed them to win on ANZAC Day at $3), collected on Freo (backed them to win by > 26 pts) and just got back from the TAB with a healthy payout courtesy of Norf beating us by 0 to 12 points.

I’m bad, I know I’m bad.

It’s wrong, I know deep down that it’s wrong.

But now I’m eyeing off the Brissy Lions at $4.50. Am I the only one with this disgusting habit??

The worst thing about this post is that you are betting every week. Gambling is a bad addiction and if it is something you have only just started doing, be careful because you will get sucked in and it will go down hill very very very quickly. Gambling addiction is worse than drugs because you can get sucked into “chasing your losses” and that is a slippery slope that is extremely hard to come back from.

Just pick and choose which ones to back, not too often either.

I’ve never placed a bet on anything in my life unless you count the odd lotto ticket as a bet.

As for your confessional, Humbert, you said it yourself, it’s a disgusting habit.

Have a bet quite often and regularly bet against us. Helps numb the pain.
Have just put $200 on Brissie at $4, if we win im happy if we lose ive got extra spending money in Singapore Sunday

Happy that you lost $200?
Either you are well off and have good disposable income or you have a problem.

Sheesh, how much would a Saints supporter have made over the years following the same line of thinking? Enough to buy a house.

I’m not feeling a lot of love. Maybe I shouldn’t have come out. So far we have:

For: Humbert (with some guilt), Houli Douley, Aceman, alex.f.94, Rossoneri (with a general warning on betting)
Against: Zebba, Reboot, DJR, efc1robbo, hambo, BakerWasAStar, SheedsIsOurFather
Indeterminate: Deckham (but doesn’t like any betting), Incoming (soulless), CJ

Actually - those numbers are better than I’d thought. Perhaps I’m not such a pariah after all! And I bet Mendozaa put his kids through college betting by against us, so there’s another one.

You should only do it when you are going to double your return.

So betting say Swans to beat us @ $1.30 is a waste.

But the 3 you have done so far is ok because your returns would have been decent.

However I wouldn’t make a habit of it, (not the Essendon thing, gambling in general)