Im moving to Germany

On the 9th March!

See how long i last. dont need a visa fortunately.
Just wondering if anyone wanted to give me some tips or things to do/see.

Ive booked airBNB for a month and then will try to find an apartment and job. Fingers crossed!

I reckon ill be on here a bit more in the future given my distance from the footy too.

laters

Bavaria is a great & scenic part of Germany & the beer is great (weis beir). As others have said, Berlin is the best city for it’s vibrancy & history.

Avoid the Aussies & Kiwis if you are in Munich for the Oktoberfest, with all their drinking competitions, ‘Oi Oi Oi’s’ loud mouth chanting & being passed out, vomiting by mid afternoon. Drink with the locals in another beer hall instead, it doesn’t matter if you don’t speak the lingo at the time, as it’s just great fun.

Liked Heidelberg & Nuremberg as Uni student towns, with plenty of old buildings (must have been rebuilt after WW2), lively pubs/bars & plenty of young pretty things getting around.

Maybe it was Frieberg instead of Heidelberg? One of them is a Uni town. It was near the Black Forest.

Hope you like Kebabs

Don’t get there via Syria.

stoner rock and the middle of europe and great reviews and cheap.

what more could i want!

I’d have picked you as more of a southern-Germany type. Hockey, access to Mountains / skiing. But I guess you can fly to those places from Berlin.

Berlin is great, I’d love to live there or in Munich. If you’ve moving because you’re in a bit of a rut then make sure you have some contacts in Europe you can rely on. The rut can get deeper if you’re not around anyone and it can be a struggle. You can always come to London for a weekend.

Also Hoffy is right, they are more direct, you should have a lot of fun there.

stoner rock and the middle of europe and great reviews and cheap.

what more could i want!

Just the location seems… arbitrary? Which is fine, I guess, if that inspires you.

You’ll be a genuine jam donut by the time I spend my five days in Berlin in August.

Can you get David Hasselhoffs autograph

i was made redundant in late October. havnt worked since.
got to the point where i needed to either get a job here or move somewhere and trying something so i made the latter decision.
i have nothing majorly keeping me here.
i figured if i cant figure out what kind of job id like to get here right now, then a move would be a big change and id learn a lot.
be good to get away from a couple of situations here for a while.
i have a British passport ive never used.

hey all,

moving to Berlin. ive got a month of BNB booked in Prenzlauer Berg.
hoping to find a full time place to live there too and a job.
Prob spend a week or so just enjoying the place and getting around a bit and then start looking for a house.
Should be a good challenge! ive started teaching myself a bit of German on my phone (duolingo) and if things start going well over there ill take German lessons perhaps!

So, um… what prompted this choice?

there is no problem with me and getting in the music scene. i was born for it.

It is worth knowing that Germans are (very) direct. It is either one way or the other, there is never a grey area. If they are uncomfortable about a conversation/topic, they will change it immediately. Don't take it personally, go with the flow and you will have a great time.

My ex-partner was German (but from Bavaria - which is different from the rest of Germany, so I was told on many occassions). I lived in Switzerland for three years and really enjoyed it but I struggled with the utter obedience of all rules (no one questions why they do things in CH, except us Aussies). I spent a bit of time in Berlin and loved it! It is very multicultural and a lot of fun.

Stay away from Munich during Oktoberfest and Contiki/Top Deck tours.

Have a great time, do the history tours and get involved in the music scene.

Hmmm - explains why WADA set up to have appeals against the corrupt CAS findings heard there.

It is worth knowing that Germans are (very) direct. It is either one way or the other, there is never a grey area. If they are uncomfortable about a conversation/topic, they will change it immediately. Don’t take it personally, go with the flow and you will have a great time.

My ex-partner was German (but from Bavaria - which is different from the rest of Germany, so I was told on many occassions). I lived in Switzerland for three years and really enjoyed it but I struggled with the utter obedience of all rules (no one questions why they do things in CH, except us Aussies). I spent a bit of time in Berlin and loved it! It is very multicultural and a lot of fun.

Stay away from Munich during Oktoberfest and Contiki/Top Deck tours.

Have a great time, do the history tours and get involved in the music scene.

Look for accommodation in Berlin east of Unter den Linden. It’s cheaper and home to the more arty types, if that is your thing.

I went to Oktoberfest in Munich late 2000 and bumped into a group of EFC players at a beer hall on their end of season trip. Was a big night. They were still in full celebration mode. As was I.

first thing i need to do when i get there is find a Desert Fest Berlin 3 day ticket. thats 100% my goal.

I drank a sheetload of beer in Monchengladbach once. Dont know if that helps you…it certainly did me at the time.

hey all,

moving to Berlin. ive got a month of BNB booked in Prenzlauer Berg.
hoping to find a full time place to live there too and a job.
Prob spend a week or so just enjoying the place and getting around a bit and then start looking for a house.
Should be a good challenge! ive started teaching myself a bit of German on my phone (duolingo) and if things start going well over there ill take German lessons perhaps!