Indian minister says rapes happen 'accidentally'

https://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/24192143/indian-minister-says-rapes-happen-accidentally/

"Such incidents (rapes) do not happen deliberately. These kind of incidents happen accidentally," Paikra, of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) which also rules at the national level, told reporters.

Really can't add much to this..... top down culture, applies to businesses and countries. If this is the attitude from the politicians, then I truly sympathise for all women in India.

Country will never truly evolve if they don't allow the empowerment of women.

their caste system isn't that flash either

Did he wink as he said that?

Can't say I've ever accidentally raped anyone.

Does he mean like a crime of opportunity? Not that it justifies it, of course.  Perhaps him using the word "accidently" is a result of English not being his first language.  Surely.

Can't say I've ever accidentally raped anyone.

well you wouldn't accidentally rape just anyone.

This misogyny is absolutely entrenched in some of these countries. And it wont stop until men make it stop. Its not something women can effectively change.  Men in the country need to hold other men to account for their actions.

Unfortunately conditions are worse than even that link shows. 

Awesome food… Sh*t culture.

Bunch of c***munchers the Indian politicians are. Make Abbot look like Mother Theresa.

India is a no go zone for women. These rapes are not quarantined to local woman as tourists have always been attacked. India is a conseravtive and repressive society which unfortunately brings out the worst in males. 

Ask the Dalits how they feel about Indian culture.

Dear Leader. Hope it happens to him. You know, "accidentally".

Those comments are so crazy my first assumption is that they are taken out of context, especially given my lack of trust for all "news" media and their need to sensationalise everything. Did he just stand up in front of a mic and say that and sit down again? Where's the rest of what he was saying? I'm sure if it made it sound worse they would have published that too right?

One possibility is that english isn't his first language, or he wasn't even speaking english and he's been mis-translated. It would be quite feasible if as the person in charge of the police force, or law making or whatever (if you read the article properly he's responsible for law and order) , he said that "we try to prevent rapes but we can't be everywhere at once and sometimes it is unfortunate, an accident on our behalf that it happens." He's not saying the men accidentally rape the women, but read into it what you want to believe.

I don't doubt their culture towards women has large 'misgivings', but I don't think this article gives any insight whatsoever and I certainly won't be altering my judgement based on it.

Huh. And meanwhile THEY have the nerve to call US racists.

But seriously, willing to give the benefit of the doubt surrounding translation/context.

Spent a month with my wife in India and Nepal in 2007. She says she felt very uncomfortable in New Dehli because of the attitudes of men who would "overtly look me up and down". She says she didn't feel this way anywhere else in India, we were mainly in Rajasthan, and was comfortable in Nepal. Of course we travelled together and the presence of a male partner clearly makes a difference...everywhere I might add. One of my wife's friends has a daughter who studied and lived in India. I personally wouldn't have felt comfortable if it was my daughter but she loved the experience and returned unscathed. I remember at the time of our visit there was campaign against public "perving".

Is it a **** culture?

Too metaphysical for me but I know my wife wouldn't have missed it. And nor would I.

A "no go zone" for female tourists?

My advice is that it is a "bucket list" must if travelling with a partner or a group but I wouldn't recommend solo female travel there... or in Africa or parts of Asia or South America or several places in Victoria.

And I'd definitely caution women against solo backpacking in Queensland.

Spent a month with my wife in India and Nepal in 2007. She says she felt very uncomfortable in New Dehli because of the attitudes of men who would "overtly look me up and down". She says she didn't feel this way anywhere else in India, we were mainly in Rajasthan, and was comfortable in Nepal. Of course we travelled together and the presence of a male partner clearly makes a difference...everywhere I might add. One of my wife's friends has a daughter who studied and lived in India. I personally wouldn't have felt comfortable if it was my daughter but she loved the experience and returned unscathed. I remember at the time of our visit there was campaign against public "perving".

Is it a **** culture?

Too metaphysical for me but I know my wife wouldn't have missed it. And nor would I.

My advice is that it is a "bucket list" must if travelling with a partner or a group but I wouldn't recommend solo female travel there... or in Africa or parts of Asia or South America or several places in Victoria.

Yep, seems crazy to write off a billion people (or half of them) as willing rapists.

It would be like writing off all male Australians as Indian bashers, when most of us have Indian mates that we wouldn't hesitate to stick up for if they were getting hassled.

I haven't been to India but I intend to. And some of the best places I've travelled to probably aren't recommended for solo female travellers. Mexico, parts of NYC, L.A, San Francisco, Bangkok, Belgrade, Sarajevo. Dandenong.

Would never go there as a white girl by myself.

FWIW Indians are persistent. I used to work in a shop, where after a while this Indian bloke kept asking for my number for a matter of months. Not that he ever did anything inappropriate, but surely when its clear someone’s not interested you’d give it a rest.

Then I changed jobs sometime later, the second day I got there this Indian bloke immediately asked for my number in front of someone else. I was thinking, argh not again… He sort of pestered me a little bit afterwards, but again nothing inappropriate.

Is it a **** culture?

Yep, seems crazy to write off a billion people (or half of them) as willing rapists.

It would be like writing off all male Australians as Indian bashers, when most of us have Indian mates that we wouldn't hesitate to stick up for if they were getting hassled.

I haven't been to India but I intend to. And some of the best places I've travelled to probably aren't recommended for solo female travellers. Mexico, parts of NYC, L.A, San Francisco, Bangkok, Belgrade, Sarajevo. Dandenong.

:lol:

Would never go there as a white girl by myself.
FWIW Indians are persistent. I used to work in a shop, where after a while this Indian bloke kept asking for my number for a matter of months. Not that he ever did anything inappropriate, but surely when its clear someone's not interested you'd give it a rest.
Then I changed jobs sometime later, the second day I got there this Indian bloke immediately asked for my number in front of someone else. I was thinking, argh not again... He sort of pestered me a little bit afterwards, but again nothing inappropriate.

I'd bug you for your number, too.