Injury Update from the club

I don’t think it’s a great idea to panic, but I’m becoming increasingly concerned about our injuries at present. It’s not the amount, or the type, it’s the specific names.

At the moment, injured (and having not done a full pre-season) are our centre half forward (Daniher), our centre half back (Hooker), our ruckman (Bellchambers), our best midfielder (Merrett) and our barometer and arguably most important player (Fantasia).

Is it cause for panic? No, not yet, but I think it’s quite concerning myself, and those rubbishing other posters about their concerns are way out of line IMO

4 Likes

The Joe one I agree is a concern but the others are just minor at this stage as they have done full preseasons up to this stage.

I agree wholeheartedly on the rubbishing if other posters opinions though.

It generally comes from the same handful of posters and it happens regularly.

And he is a good long kick of the footy, go harts.

I’ll refer you to my “Panic Merchant’s Best 22” in the Round1 Best 22 Thread.
Updated as of Friday.
Concerning maybe, but even at it’s most pessimistic it’s still a pretty good 22

Note - I’ll try and update this 22 every week or so, accounting for actual injuries and the weight of Blitz rumours
( eg another burst of posts calling Saad fat, for example)

Bellchambers is coming back from shoulder surgery isn’t he?

1 Like

True.

Yep, based on last years form he is important.

I’m a big fan of Draper though, so wouldn’t be upset if he got 4 or 5 games this year.

Obviously Clarke is available also.

I’d add mcKenna to that list as well.

I’d subtract Fantasia from that list as a finger injury three months before the season starts is hardly alarming. By all reports is flying this pre-season.

2 Likes

Skins appears to have gone bust. So no more Skins injury reports.

oh no :disappointed:

14 Likes

Total mismangament from the club. They were well aware there was early-onset Ebola in the playing group last year and they still made them play 3 games in two weeks. Sack Crowe (sic).

9 Likes

they really are bleeding red and black

14 Likes

I’m not panicking.

These things (injuries) happen and our “Best 22 on paper” rarely makes it way on to the field.

Fortunately none of the injuries (or their prognosis) are terribly serious and we have plenty of back up options.

Some of those back-up options might not have proven themselves yet (or may have been overtaken), but they deserve opportunities and often surprise us with how capable they are (E.g. Smack & Brown in 2018).

And let’s not pretend that Hooker, Zerret, Daniher, etc can’t have an ordinary game, they’ve had plenty so we need to go easy on any understudies that get a chance.

My main concern is for Daniher. Seems to be no one really knows how to cure it or prevent it from coming back. I guess I’m still in “I’ll believe it when I see it” mode to protect myself from disappointment if he doesn’t return as hoped.

Is the Ebola early onset?

3 Likes

Don’t panic.
Tom Browne has updated his tweet, believes it’s now smallpox.
But still early onset.

1 Like

Tom Browne actually started with Hugepox then downgraded his tweet to smallpox later.

11 Likes

Missing a couple of weeks of PS at this time of the ye asr is not cause for panic. It’s when they miss 4-6 or have slower recovery that is the issue.

Raz, Merrett and Hooker are ok. The “concern” would be players like TBell and JD who have had surgery off season and are still in the modified group. They still have time to get through it and be ready for the PS comp

TBell had surgery on his shoulder right ?
So he can do the required amount of running . He just needs to gradually work into full arm movement. So he will be fit enough at Round 1 but might be a bit rusty in terms of ball handling

Ever tried running with your arm in a sling?

The Merrett press release is a little unconvincing to be fair. Reads as though they will determine how long he is out for after 2 weeks in a moonboot as opposed to he will only miss 2-3 weeks.

1 Like