Installing a VPN

Speed isn’t a problem for me, it’s the ping time that’s bad. E.g. this website won’t load when i’m connected via VPN.

NordVPN

Express VPN

If you’re setting yourself up with a VPN for nefarious means, make sure you change the DNS server settings on your router to cover that trail up as well. Use Google’s (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) or OpenDNS (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220) rather than your ISPs.

Be aware that Akami and other CDNs slow traffic to those DNS’.

I was using Google DNS and wondering why iTunes Movies were streaming at a snail’s pace. That was the reason.

I’ve got IP vanish. Not a big wrap for their new interface.

Be aware that Akami and other CDNs slow traffic to those DNS'.

I was using Google DNS and wondering why iTunes Movies were streaming at a snail’s pace. That was the reason.

Huh, well there you go.
If you're setting yourself up with a VPN for nefarious means, make sure you change the DNS server settings on your router to cover that trail up as well. Use Google's (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) or OpenDNS (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220) rather than your ISPs.

Yeah don’t use google’s if you want privacy.

Is anyone a VPN expert here? I got NordVPN today and after some advice on best how to use it. What countries should you connect to? Can you use it for additional streaming of sports etc you can’t normally have access to? Any help appreciated :+1:

They already know everything about. Just so happens it’s faster than most isps dns I’ve tried.

Basically trial and error. Connect to one location, use speedtest.net and see the if the speeds are up to scratch and repeat.

1 Like

90% of counties you can connect to via the VPN are faster than us, so speed shouldn’t be a problem

1 Like

Sure, but not all hosts are created equal.

A speed test website is not a great way to test because it tests between the test website and the proxy. Traffic still has to go from your browser to the proxy and that part is not tested.

If you want to go international, Somewhere like Singapore would be a good choice. Lowish latency from aus and bandwidth galore.

VPNs are good for a little extra disguise, especially for gov metadata rules etc but keep in mind alot of tracking these days has nothing to do with IP addresses anyway. There are many ways to track and sessions without an IP address, browser fingerprinting for one.

1 Like

Cloudflares 1.1.1.1 is faster and more secure.