Interchange capped at 120

So...

even though all the people who actually play and the coach the game have been adamantly against this idea... lets do it anyway?

Injured and sore players having to remain on the ground in the last quarter is good for footy, yeah?  

If it were up to players and coaches, interchange would be unlimited. They both have a massive vested interest in it being as easy as possible. The problem is not the interchange, but the coach's inability to properly manage resources. If he insists on a game plan that runs them into the ground, that is his fault, not the fault of the rules.

But what's the real reason for bringing it in? It doesn't have to happen, it's not urgent and everybody is against it. 

I'm sure they have some 'impact injury' stat they can rattle off, but I bet they have no data to support it. 

They are doing just.... 'cause. 

No idea, don't care. Same could be said of every increase they have made. It was a 19th and 20th man once. Should have stayed there, and then we'd still be playing pure footy, with teams full of 'footballers' rather than this Gaelic hybrid full of so called 'athletes' we have now. They are doing it because years ago they started ■■■■■■■ with the rules and they are constantly trying to fix the things they have ■■■■■■ up with their constant tinkering.

Why don't they listen to players..

120 not including changes during the breaks is reasonable.

Much better than the rule committee pushing for only 80.

Why don't they listen to players, coaches, supporters, anyone..

:angry:

So...

even though all the people who actually play and the coach the game have been adamantly against this idea... lets do it anyway?

Injured and sore players having to remain on the ground in the last quarter is good for footy, yeah?  

If it were up to players and coaches, interchange would be unlimited. They both have a massive vested interest in it being as easy as possible. The problem is not the interchange, but the coach's inability to properly manage resources. If he insists on a game plan that runs them into the ground, that is his fault, not the fault of the rules.

But what's the real reason for bringing it in? It doesn't have to happen, it's not urgent and everybody is against it. 

I'm sure they have some 'impact injury' stat they can rattle off, but I bet they have no data to support it. 

They are doing just.... 'cause. 

Stoppages. Just about every single new rule in the last 10 years can be tied back to reducing the number of stoppages. Kevin Bartlett hates them and therefore so does the footy public.

That's easily fixed.

Actually pay Holding the Ball occasionally. 

Spot on. 

They've traded free kicks for ball ups and this is absolutely a conscious decision.

It's why midfielders average around an extra ten possesions more now than they used to.

A bit against the trend here but it should be capped at around 10 a quarter. The idea that this would place the players at risk is pure rhetoric. Soccer and rugby don't need to constantly replace players, why should we. It's always annoyed me that a team's interchange policy has become part of the team tactics. If teams get tired in the final half, tough luck. One of the real blights on the game is an interchange gate that looks like a Bourke Street rush hour. The 120 "limit" is a joke.

Why don't they listen to players..

Because like any employee, they will push for whatever is easiest for them, rather than what is best for the game. Same reason you don't listen to coaches.

I assume that Matt Finnis and the ALFPA who are so very concerned about issues involving the duty of care towards players and whose members have resolutely opposed the idea of an interchange cap will be kicking up one almighty stink about this.

Lets say you have used the 120 and have a bloke do his knee then what?

Lets say you have used the 120 and have a bloke do his knee then what?

Sub

Or play with 17 players. Or incur the free-kick and 50 metre penalty.

All hail the Rules of the Game Committee.

Let’s face it, if they didn’t arbitrarily change some rules every year, people would start to question why they even exist…

Wonder how much a club will have to spend on an employee (or two) making sure the count is at 120 and no more?

It's getting to a point where I just don't like footy any more.

They tinker with it to make it better and it always has the opposite effect.

'Speeding it up' has made it slower moving, this will make injuries more prevalent, denying the better players from playing as frequently.

What is wrong with having unlimited interchange?

What is it that makes it so unwatchable that they have to bring this in?

Wonder if there are any OH&S implications?

still think it should be 120 cap and NO sub

Carlisle the first victim.

Cap_zpsf5547f0c.jpg

So what happens if the AFL stewards can't count. Lord knows they struggle with getting the interchange rule right, now they can also miscount the number and give free kicks at the death of a game when it is in the balance.

■■■■ me.

This is good, though.

I've been looking for something to get frustrated and angry with the AFL about for a while.

Fairly ludicrous really.

You have Demetriou pre-judging the issue saying a cap is coming in before he's even got any meaningful data on it.

You've got the rules committee making a mountain out of a mole-hill by imposing a cap given interchanges per match are rising, when anyone with an ounce of common sense would realise that a natural cap will occur anyway.

And then there is the obvious issue of properly maintaining the count, the AFL stewards have already proven they can screw up a simple thing like counting whether there are 4 players on the bench before imposing themselves, now you're giving them a more complicated task with a greater chance of f'ing it up.

Or more bluntly, once again the AFL Rules Committee is making yet another new rule, just to justify their existence