International Rules

Lol the Irish crowd cheering a behind.

I dread our players being chosen for this game.

Why? One player retired, one player Blitz-retired, and one player with zero touches.

Just finished watching it. Terrible spectacle. Most of our blokes struggle with the rules let alone the round ball. We always seemed to bomb it forward from the centre with no targets while they could run and carry and spot up forward options with relative ease. Really thought we could have used Buddy to exploit their lack of height and physical prowess but they were able to keep a tight rein on him. McGrath did a fair job holding down the goal keeper role while our other better players were Motlop, Betts, Wells and Armstrong. I think the concept bends to far to advantage the Irish especially with the round ball. I'd prefer that one match was round ball and the other oval. Interesting that Carlton have another young Irish kid heading over to play on their international rookie list. It's odd that more clubs aren't doing similar with the success of Touhy and Keneally in recent times

No. not really. There have been far more failures than successes.

Just finished watching it. Terrible spectacle. Most of our blokes struggle with the rules let alone the round ball. We always seemed to bomb it forward from the centre with no targets while they could run and carry and spot up forward options with relative ease. Really thought we could have used Buddy to exploit their lack of height and physical prowess but they were able to keep a tight rein on him. McGrath did a fair job holding down the goal keeper role while our other better players were Motlop, Betts, Wells and Armstrong. I think the concept bends to far to advantage the Irish especially with the round ball. I'd prefer that one match was round ball and the other oval. Interesting that Carlton have another young Irish kid heading over to play on their international rookie list. It's odd that more clubs aren't doing similar with the success of Touhy and Keneally in recent times

Good point. McKeever, Quinn and Walsh to name a few.

Hanley has been a success however.

Good to see Buddy resurrect the jumper swapping tradition.

What a a terrible game.
Although I think Jett's has found his sport, he played better than the good Jetta.

He looked to be actually running more, but still stops, props trys to get around his man only too dish off the handball way too much under pressure.

NLM is going to smack up the Irish

Did someone say the afl exec is over there? There would be a couple of them I would rather he smacked up than the Irish!

I just Wiki'd the list of Irish recruits to the AFL and of the 16 who have been brought over and played senior footy, 7 have been serviceable to their clubs. which is just over a third. It would be interesting to compare that with the ratio of promoted rookie listed Australian players who give good service to their club by the end of their careers.
FWIW the 7 I counted were.
Wight...150 games
Stynes...264 games
Kennelly...197 games
O'hailpin...80 games
Clarke...72 games
Hanley...76 games
Tuohy...54 games

a team where whites aren’t allowed?

racist

The Irish are pretty white.

Pretty quick too.

I just Wiki'd the list of Irish recruits to the AFL and of the 16 who have been brought over and played senior footy, 7 have been serviceable to their clubs. which is just over a third. It would be interesting to compare that with the ratio of promoted rookie listed Australian players who give good service to their club by the end of their careers.
FWIW the 7 I counted were.
Wight...150 games
Stynes...264 games
Kennelly...197 games
O'hailpin...80 games
Clarke...72 games
Hanley...76 games
Tuohy...54 games

it's more to do with the amount of resources a club can put into them.

Firstly you have players coming over here who need to learn how to kick the footy under pressure.  Tuohy and Hanley both look like they've been kicking a footy since they were twelve.  That is very rare.

Secondly, they have to get used to the frenetic pace of game and be able to bounce the ball at the same time.  

Thirdly and the most difficult one to train on is that they have to be used to body contact.  Watching these games shows how terrible the game would be without tackling and contested footy.

Most teams would prefer to play the 'percentages' and use their resources towards a player who you don't have to teach how to kick and tackle before seeing the potential.

Pretty quick too.

And they're taking all our jobs.

Pretty quick too.
And they're taking all our jobs.
Only if you're a feckin bartender.

Didn't realise Matty Egan was the forward line coach for the Australian team

Didn't realise Matty Egan was the forward line coach for the Australian team

I said the same thing to my old man today. We named it the ICBM method. All long range bombs.

Pretty quick too.
Let's face it, it comes with having a high proportion of rangas in the population; survival of the fittest and all, only the fast survive to breed.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-21/aussies-told-partys-over

"THE AUSTRALIAN players have been dragged before team management after a late night out led hotel staff to twice request one group to stop partying in the early hours of Monday morning.

On the night after their 22-point loss to Ireland in the first Test of the International Rules Series, most of the Australian players partied at a nightclub in the country town of Limerick.
When they returned to the team hotel at Dromoland Castle in Ennis at about 4am on Monday, some headed up to a room and continued the party.
AFL.com.au understands hotel staff knocked on the door of the room at about 5am and asked a small group of players to turn their music down.
But when that request fell on deaf ears hotel staff returned 15 minutes later and again asked for quiet.
A team meeting was hastily called later that morning where AFL deputy CEO Gill McLachlan, football operations manager Mark Evans and coach Michael O'Loughlin addressed the players.
The players were given a couple of nights to let off steam following the first Test but were firmly told at Monday's meeting it was time to re-focus on the second Test on Saturday at Croke Park in Dublin.
A voluntary training session had been scheduled for Monday afternoon but it has now been made compulsory for the whole team and is expected to be a solid two-hour session.
Monday morning's disturbance followed another long party in Cavan immediately after the first Test at Breffni Park.
Twitter: @AFL_Nick"

"Leroy Jetta appeared to be the ringleader, and as such his club has been permitted to void his contract for this year without pay. Online website Bomberblitz reported to be ecstatic"

Havnt bothered watching the series so far but now im on the Edwards bandwagon id better check out the hype