Investment advice

I think it may have been Walter Buffet who said, just do the exact opposite of the investment experts. He's turned out ok.

Is Walter any relation to Warren?

His poor cousin.

I think it may have been Walter Buffet who said, just do the exact opposite of the investment experts. He's turned out ok.

Is Walter any relation to Warren?

His poor cousin.

Lives next door to Margaritaville.

Is that another one of Walter's?

Maybe do a few things.

Look into Austrian economics or conservative economics who believe in the old system that is against massive debt accumulation. What are they saying.

Look at what market optimists are saying about stocks.

Look at which dividends have done well for certain banks and corporations.

Research what top investors are doing. Like say Warren Buffet or people who are succeeding.

Get some advice from a planner.

Then make up your own mind.

Anyone in the know

Thoughts on Buru Energy and CE1
??

Buru Energy Limited (BRU) is an oil and gas exploration and production company focused on exploring and developing the petroleum resources of the Canning Basin, in the southwest Western Australia.

Calima Energy Limited (CE1, formerly Azonto Petroleum Limited) is an oil and gas exploration and production company. CE1 holds interest in Montney Project, SADR and minority interest in TMK-Montney Ltd and Bahari Holding Company Limited.

I will need to buy a new car soon. I will buy a basic model of something that isn’t too fancy. Is salary sacrifice, cash or loan the best option? Cash would be taling out money from offset loan.

Some Dealers offer very low interest.

Ours is 1% over 3 years, worth finding.

1 Like

Don’t buy new, … 2 years old is good value (low k’s),… and use redraw on H/L (if that’s what you mean} for mine, … then sell it in 2 or 3 years and go again.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ve never bought a new car and would be loathe to do so. My car is 16 years old and starting to get issues that i might just be better off getting a newer one.

1 Like

It Depends. Your salary sacrifice provider can offer big discounts on some new models, but then you have less choice on what car you want. I know when my wife looked at it, they could take $10,000 of the platinum sorento, but we didnt want that car as it was still too expensive.

2-3 years old with low kms and you will lose less depreciation or afford a better car IMO.

2 Likes

BURU energy?

Fracking is just a stupid idea. We have seen in the US and QUEENSLAND that it is not economic long term and leaves behind a dreadful environmental mess.

Fracking in the Kimberley region of Australia?
One of the last true wilderness areas on the planet?
And you are thinking of buying in to BURU and profiting from this?

Don’t do it.

1 Like

I got a tip.

was just asking about it to get some more info.

Thanks Walter.

asking blitz for financial advice.

you got idiots paying for high mark and silver membership.

4 Likes

The WA Government has recently finished its fracking inquiry and is due to release its findings soon. Most likely it will lift the moratorium and allow fracking with conditions attached like in the NT. This will see a boost to Buru sp as they have large acreage in the Kimberley with gas fracking potential.

They won’t allow fracking in the south west of WA where all the Perth elite have their holiday homes but they sure will exploit aboriginal land to turn a profit.

There are plenty of other small companies in WA doing well and worth investing in than Buru.

1 Like

But why TF do we even think we need to frack in this Country??

We got Gas deposits coming out the yin yang, … enough to sell Billions of litres of the stuff to China for SFA!!

They should be told to just Fk the Frack OFF!

1 Like

Not saying yours is an issue, but be wary of low interest rate ads on car loans. The rate doesn’t matter as much as the actual terms; repayment amount, time frame & residual.

I’ve seen higher rates actually work out cheaper.

We lease all our Company Cars and it is part of the salary package, so those who get one tend to prefer something flash. Our car-park sometimes resembles a Liberal Party fund raiser, with a BMW, two Mercs and two Lexus. I used to drive a Holden Ute, but gave in and have a small Lexus; I love the Lexus but I do miss my Ute.

All the cars are on 3 year leases with 30% residual, and for both Lexus are on 0.9% interest, which Lexus tend to offer every year in October. The rates are slightly higher for the other but still well below average rates.

We have been doing this since 1995, and is very tax effective.

That said, if I had to pay for it with after tax income, I would buy a three year old Merc, Beamer or Lexus at the payout value of a lease like ours. In fact, some of the partners of our staff drive these “old” cars. There are many Dealers that have loads of this type of vehicle, all well looked after. while a three year old Kia or Toyota may have issues, these makes don’t.

I think WA is pretty well supplied for gas (plenty of undeveloped gas reserves offshore, many of which aspire to become massive LNG projects, but will also be forced to market a sizable share of their gas domestically due to the government’s domestic reservation policies)…So I would be cautious about whether Buru will be able to receive a high enough gas price to be viable? Especially if fracking is required, which adds to the cost?

PS. I have a vague recollection of coming across Buru once before when I tracked Alumina Limited closely (AWC). AWC’s alumina refineries are amongst the most gas-consumptive industries in WA. I think AWC lent Buru money to help fund exploration for gas, to help build a competitor to the LNG proponents, but it came to nothing.

PPS. I think, personally, gas producers are always a little bit more complicated to assess, because there is the challenge of transporting it to a market. It needs pipelines, available space on those pipelines, and is generally confined to domestic customers…whereas oil is much easier to transport, can generally find a linkage to global oil prices, and those global prices seem to be on a bit of a run at the moment.

1 Like

Helluva thread bump.

I have just spent the morning revising my investment strategy before I found that all the suggestions are five years old.

3 Likes

Toyota/Lexus cream BMW & Mercedes on most reliability measures. Realistically most modern cars shouldn’t give you any trouble for 5-8 years.