Is Essendon 'hard to deal with'?

On Monfries, we did Port a MASSIVE favour by trading him. He was a free agent and could have gone there for nothing but Port had a player leaving under free agency. If port got Monfries as a free agent, it would have dent the value of the pick coming in for their leaving player (can’t recall the player atm).

So we did them a solid. They then ■■■■■■ us when they went after Ryder.

Edit: It was Troy Chaplin and Danyle Pearce Port lost. We got Goddard and wasn’t eligible for a compo pick for losing Monfries so accepted a nothing pick for him to help Port get a decent return for their lost free agents.

Long story short, Port can go ■■■■ themselves.

I don’t think you can take into account facts that were unknowable at the time (eg, WADA 12-month bans, which most people didn’t think would happen at the time) but I do think you can take into account a player’s subsequent form, which can validate (or not) a club’s position on a player at the trade table.

For example, i think Ryder, Hibberd and Carlile’s subsequent form totally justifies EFC’s position that they were high value players.

As we signed Goddard as a free agent if monfries left us we would have gotten nothing for him. So we helped ourselves really.

For a nothing pick, 51 in the end. Used it well on Dylan Van Unen.

So could have accepted nothing for him to stop Port from getting higher in the draft.

On current trade debate we would have been within our rights to demand two first rounders for Ryder.

Saad - just below average, about the 45% percentile. That being said he improved significantly this year (~20%) and the PAV system doesn’t necessarily capture everything about a player like Saad (metres gained aren’t used, bounces etc). I wouldn’t pay more than ~pick 30 though based on this.

Smith - When he was up and about he was on average in the best 25% of the players in the league (2014-2016). Dropped to a touch below average this year and that should hurt his trade currency. He is worth more than Saad based on his already shown ceiling, but I would say early to mid 20s.

Stringer - very similar trajectory to Smith, except at his best he was getting close to elite (note that this was 2015) and he has dropped steadily now to a PAV of about 14 which is still well above average but a lot less than his peak of ~18 (top 10%). Worth a touch more than Smith based on this, maybe late teens pick.

Both Bulldogs and GWS are kidding if they think they can get maximum currency for players who have taken two consecutive steps in the wrong direction (and this is purely statistically, without the external concerns, although causation and correlation). Out of the three, Saad is the only one going in the right direction, so it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

For reference, based purely on this year, Stringer would be our 10th most valuable player, Devon Smith 13th and Saad 14th. This would push Ambrose, Green and James Kelly out of the top 22 on rankings, so our net PAV would have improved by about 7 points, which is significant but not huge. Those three players either play at their best (smith, stringer) or keep improving (saad), and there is significant potential for increasing the total value of the team next year however.

Leave us alone.
The question should be Are Carlton hard to deal with ?
Last year they would not budge from a demand for 2 first rounders for Bryce Gibbs.
So the trade fell over.

Gibbs had a contract.

That’s not being hard to deal with… that’s “■■■■ off and stop wasting our time unless you are serious”.

Contracts are a joke. Players can get out of contracts citing they want to go home to Brisbane then end up in Adelaide when their home is actually WA.

By a street

What was it they wanted for Gorringe, their 3rd or 4th in line ruck, a year before he was delisted?

I always think it’s a fool’s game, play hardball too often and nobody wants to play with you anymore.

From memory it would’ve affected Port’s FA compo pick too. Was a win win.

Contracts in the AFL is the new fake news.

People make up whatever narrative they want to believe.

Is this really true?

As far as I know/can remember, the only players to break contracts recently are Ryder, McCarthy, Saad, and, um, who? Stringer is pretty much being shown the door, and (by rumour) both Francis and Schache have been asked by their clubs if they want to be traded out. Gibbs wanted out and was told no.

i wonder if the Ryder trade happened in 2015 whether future picks would have been on the table? (given port’s public position was 'we’d love to give you more but we have no other picks and none of our players want to come to you…)

Ants, Sure, maybe thats right in the past, but this year its almost certain that Ablett, being homesick, and wanting to go home, even as a contracted player ( whose contract was notoriously front loaded ) will get back to Geelong. Schache , having just re-signed, being homesick, will get back to a Melbourne club.

The meaning of “contracted player” is becoming far less of an impediment to players who want to cite “personal reasons” for breaking their contract. In the case of Ryder, the personal reason was dubious.

I forgot about Ablett.

You can hardly put Schache in that bracket - Brisbane have approached him and said “given you’re homesick, how about returning this year”! Probably realising that with Richmond and St Kilda having multiple first round picks and needs for talls, this could be the year to cash in on him.

Great, many thanks!

Impey at the moment and Watts, Charlie Cameron’s asked. Lewis last year. Cooney and Griffen when the dogs imploded. Tom Boyd. Heath Shaw. Mitch Clark.

To answer the question.

We don’t get to say

It’s like trump saying he is a good president.

We may feel we are good, but ultimately it’s other clubs who get to decide if that’s true or not