Is it stupid for Australia to have a contestant in Eurovision?

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/may/11/graham-norton-is-right-australias-participation-in-eurovision-is-stupid

It was similarly hilarious to see the UK getting 0 votes in 2003, post-Iraq-invasion.

That year also had the greatest song of all time, by Alf Poier:

Also from FiveThirtyEight:

"Eurovision results lend themselves to analysis of geopolitical intrigue, but Ukraine’s song lyrics (“They kill you all and say / We’re not guilty” — referring to Russian soldiers in 1944) made it pretty easy to guess which nations would leave Russia or Ukraine out of their top 10 based on their current relationship with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

In Poland, which recently barred a Russian motorcycle group from crossing the country as part of a World War II memorial ride, the jury gave Ukraine’s protest song the maximum number of points, and Russia nothing. Twenty-one countries’ juries gave Russia no points, and 17 nations’ panels did the same to Ukraine. Australia was shut out of the top 10 by only three countries’ judges. If these low rankings had been combined with residents’ rankings to award points, Russia and Ukraine would have both wound up with more zeroes."

Only if you view the Eurovision Song Contest as a fascinating political bunfight. Sure, we can contribute a substantial number of votes to Greece, but it’s just not the same.

Yes it is stupid

Extremely stupid. As stupid as it is to have Israel as part of Europe.

It should have to do with geography, not ancestry.

Outside of Europe, we are the only country and watches and actually gives a toss about it, but that’s no reason for us to be able to compete. Did they confuse us with Austria? No wonder Americans are confused about geography.

The main reason it’s stupid is that it guarantees there will be spoilers in the Sunday morning news.

Watch live, or be very careful!

I think it’s stupid to care about this issue one way or the other.

Need meatloaf

I would also argue that Azerbaijan and Turkey are also not in Europe (most of Turkey is in Asia)

I heard Russia invaded Ukraines dressing room.

I’ll get my coat.

Outside of Europe, we are the only country and watches and actually gives a toss about it, but that's no reason for us to be able to compete. Did they confuse us with Austria? No wonder Americans are confused about geography.
And here is the real reason. I think we admire the absolutely daggy/kitch anti-contest that it sometimes presents. That, and the scantily dressed eastern european women "perfomers"........
Outside of Europe, we are the only country and watches and actually gives a toss about it, but that's no reason for us to be able to compete. Did they confuse us with Austria? No wonder Americans are confused about geography.
And here is the real reason. I think we admire the absolutely daggy/kitch anti-contest that it sometimes presents. That, and the scantily dressed eastern european women "perfomers"........

I’m only into it for the bearded girls … whoa baby!

I heard Russia invaded Ukraines dressing room.

to get their coat.

EFA

I would also argue that Azerbaijan and Turkey are also not in Europe (most of Turkey is in Asia)

At least some of Turkey is in Europe…and I had no idea Azerbaijan was in the comp.

I haven’t seen it in 20 years.

At least some of Turkey is in Europe…and I had no idea Azerbaijan was in the comp.

I haven’t seen it in 20 years.

There’s no logic involved. It’s not about Europe, it’s barely about vision, and it’s got nothing at all to do with song. It is what it is. They can make up any rules they want. Nobody cares.

The Eastern European Cabal has killed it as a contest in recent years.