Is the return of Vinyl just a con to get you to part with your money?

That’s pretty astonishing. Was it a local production?

Yes, but I’m not certain if these got Pressed in Australia ?
@theDJR will be happy to know that the repeated track was ‘Stars of Warburton’.

1 Like

I’m not into vinyl, but I can see the attraction. It’s like low n slow bbq, which I am into.

You search high and low for the best butcher. And every now and then they have something unique to buy (Brahman hump anyone?).

Then you spend all this time setting up the cook, checking it, spritzing, a few good drinks along the way, then you get to enjoy it with friends.

Or, I could just get home delivery which would be quicker, cheaper, but ultimately less satisfying.

The search, the getting up to change sides, the listens to a full album, it’s all worth it.

3 Likes

It’s not a surprise to me at all. I would say almost 95% of our returns come from defects on new/sealed LPs. It’s highly frustrating as a small business as we aren’t able to get refunds from wholesalers overseas and shipping the product back would cost us even if we did. New Vinyl often looks scratched and worn or has simple defects like the sticker is covering the last track in the side…

I had a return yesterday that was a 2xLP LP (that came out this year) where it was 2 copies of side A and B - not A and B + C and D…checked online and it’s a problem across a whole batch of press…A whole batch! I would assume this means theres at least 3-5K LP’s out there that are ■■■■■■…This happens quite often.

My only suggestion would be finding an earlier pressing of the album you want then buying a recent Re-issue…Discogs is often handy for pressing reviews also.

1 Like

Have a look here (link below), check the catalogue number Cat# (I’m presuming it was 88985342361 which is an Australian pressing). Occasionally people give personal reviews of the quality of the pressing itself, a prospective buyers a heads up as to whether it’s dud quality. Not sure if it’s going to offer much info in this instance…

I’m a 10-1 fan, but this is a cracking album.

1 Like

My brother in law got a Pro Q for Father’s Day. He’s cooked some pretty mean food in there so far. The 500g rib eyes he did a couple of weeks ago were so insanely good, I had a photo of them cooking as the wallpaper on my phone for the next week.

He’s pretty much nailed beer can chicken too. Next is some of the more difficult cuts like brisket and ribs. He asked me if I want to get one now. I said why would I? You’re doing a pretty good job for me.

1 Like

Fairly similar thoughts here with a different analogy.

Digital for me, because there are so many advantages and they continue to grow. However I understand people who enjoy vinyl.

It encourages a different more patient listening experience. To paraphrase Andrew Jones, one of my favourite speaker designers who was talking about his affordable speakers versus his cost-no-object items, vinyl fails in a nice friendly way. It is like an open wood fireplace, there are more efficient ways to heat a house but you won’t sit close to or stare at a central heating duct for hours on end.

1 Like

Not surprising, that pillar of the corporate entertainment industry Sony rushing out a bunch of unchecked vinyl to cash in on the Oils reformation. Probably banking on people not even unwrapping them. Still beggars belief that it gets to production!

1 Like

It does beggar belief.

We are nearly 100 years into analog record technology. I have 75rpm records from the 1920’s. They had no problems back then so why TF should there be any problems now with nearly 100 years of technological improvement? It is mind boggling that these mistakes should be made at all, let alone penalising people like @crumbs

I think you’ll find they are 78 RPM.

Dad had a shitload of them, many of which I still have.

Some worth a good deal now.

As a result of the recent bodgy copy of Blue Sky Mining which was returned, I managed to win this Auction on EBay this morning from the US.

Original US Pressing on Limited Edition translucent blue vinyl in Near Mint condition.
Please don’t break during Shipping :crossed_fingers:

6 Likes

Pretty much anything modern. Especially a lot of things which are trumpeted as being “remastered”. Most of them are nothing more than the original stereo master tape having been compressed to buggery, had the gain boosted and high-end EQ added to the max. Yes it sounds louder, yes it sounds fizzier and your brain gets initially tricked into thinking it’s better but… it also has no dynamic range whatsoever and accordingly your ears get fatigued listening to it.

Have you ever listened to a playlist and been a bit frustrated by how older CD’s sound “quieter” than modern CD’s? It’s not always because the old ones have been mastered badly, just that the new ones have been mastered poorly and have a large amount of digital clipping on them from the pursuit of loud for loud’s sake. 9 times out of 10 you’ll that find that beyond being quieter (in a relative sense), the older ones are actually warmer as a result of having more dynamism (i.e. the quiet bits are quiet, the loud bits are loud) about them, meaning your ears don’t get so tired. Really, newer records would be better off being mastered like older ones (not the other way around).

Having said all that, two of the worst offenders I know of are Metallica’s St Anger and Weezer’s current Pacific Daydream. They sound absolutely horrid…

5 Likes

Do you know Don Bartley @Soulnet (or are you he)? “Mastering by Don Bartley at 301” was a standard line on Australian releases through the 80’s and 90’s. “Mastered by Ross Cockle at Sing Sing” was another common one later on into the 00’s.

A mate and I had Ross Cockle master a couple of tracks we’d done on an 8-track Portastudio around 2003-4. Whatever fairy-dust he sprinkled on them in the couple of hours we were at Sing Sing had those things purring like a pussycat! The original and mastered versions are like chalk and cheese.

This was similar to our Saturday morning routine in the mid-late 80’s (back when the shops used to shut at midday, and weren’t open again until Monday). We’d catch the train for 9am opening and take in (variously) Gaslight Records, Central Station (in the City Square), Leedin Records (in Footscray), Greville Records (in Prahran), Au Go Go, Missing Link (Flinders Lane was it?), Collectors Corner (original shop on the south side of Swanston St) and occasionally the two Batman Records at either end of Elizabeth St. There was also a comic book shop called Minotaur (originally on Elizabeth St, later on Bourke St near the cinema) which kept all the latest imports of UK rags like NME, Vox and Melody Maker.

We’d then catch the train home, peel off the plastic wrapping and peruse the album sleeves of our purchases (remember - this was in the days when albums regularly came out in the US and UK months before they got a local release) , drinking in all the details, wondering what they sounded like, barely able to contain our excitement until we could get home and drop the needle down.

The CD experience was never quite the same…

4 Likes

This
We have made some good (in the scheme of things) coin from 7" sales post show
Tshirts and vinyl, that’s where it’s at!

2 Likes

Add Manic Street Preachers’ “The Holy Bible” 20th Anni remaster. Sounds horrid. I’ve been sucked in to the remaster thing in trying to get digitised versions of my vinyl collection to take around with me on my phone. (Through non-paying means, figuring I’ve already paid for the vinyl.) But I’ve heard one too many boosted compressed messes. Now I’m reversing and trying to get the original CD versions in file form.

1 Like

Sam’s Town is an album I love which got molested in the mastering process at the peak of the Loudness War. Stuart Price was the producer and not sure how much his fingerprints are on the actual mastering but he’s a DJ background so wouldn’t surprise me. When You Were Young despite being one of the better songs of the decade if you listen to it sounds like a distorted garbled mess. Sad.

1 Like

I thought Flood produced that album… all their stuff post Hot Fuss has sounded overly “hot” (compressed, tinny, distorted) to my ears.

Went to Greville last week for the first time in a while. I remember it as being 75% CD 25% vinyl, but this proportion has reversed. You Am I #4 Record on vinyl $20! Just 'cause I parted with my money, doesn’t make it a con…

1 Like

Swoit deal, love that album!