Is the season too long?

Patty Dangerfield reckons 22 games is too long. Wants it reduced to limit injuries. Maybe an 18 game season. Thoughts?

Personally I think the season is fine. Ideally I would like a 34-36 game season (play each other twice). Have a 14 day break after 18 games. Reload and get back in.

1 Like

Cool

Dangerfield is an idiot.

11 Likes

Less teams. Play everyone twice. Slightly bigger lists - mandate rotation (everyone can carry an extra Howlett McKernan Hartley).

Itā€™s a joke of a ā€œcompetitionā€ until then.

Play everyone once is the least ridiculous realistic alternative.

3 Likes

No for a longer season. My interest wains as is.

Shorter season play everyone once rotating home and away every 2 years.

I donā€™t reckon they would loose a as much as you think. Crowds and viewers must drop off the longer the season goes.

6 Likes

Heā€™s a dangerous idiot, given heā€™s on the rules-must-change committee.

Not sure if heā€™s gone rogue or if this is a softening-up comment.

8 Likes

As long as heā€™s prepared to lose out on the reduced TV rights and consequent reduced salary caps.

5 Likes

YES

Itā€™s far far too long.

SEVENTEEN ROUNDS MOTHER FARKERS

6 Likes

40+ players on a list, how about managing and utiliting a list correctly so most players get 2-3 rests per season.

2 Likes

It is. Will he take a pay cut? Will we get reduced membership fees?
No
No

Tell him to ā– ā– ā– ā–  and get out there and play

2 Likes

Almost all players apart from rookies are paid per a contract, not per game.

Revenue wouldnā€™t be down for a 17 game season. Iā€™ve written lots of analysis on this point on this site. If revenues donā€™t go down, salaries wonā€™t go down either.

1 Like

Why wouldnā€™t revenue be down if 7/Foxtel get 5 weeks less content?

1 Like

Asking nick riewoldt if he wants shorter gamesā€¦

i wonder whatā€™d heā€™d say.

ā€˜gee i really loved being fitter than my defendersā€™

2 Likes

No way. The pre-season is far far too long, and the only way to have a fair competition is to play each other twice.

1 Like

Iā€™d like his plan to come into action immediately, enacted retrospectively. Lets remove the results of the first six weeks of the season, effectively creating a 17 week competition.

This would ensure we are playing finals this year, if not putting us in top 4 contention.

8 Likes

The good people who pay for the TV rights will pay less if there are less weeks filled with games. The sponsors get less exposure with less games/tv that will reduce the amount they are willing to pay. The people who pay for the grounds will get less revenue and will therefore demand more per game played on the ground to compensate. One would think that = less revenue which eventually will mean less for players.

Heres an idea, move the end of season bye somewhere where it isnā€™t an absolute pain in the ā– ā– ā–  and gives the players another week off in the season. Kill the preseason comp that no one cares about and just roll into the season.

1 Like

If youā€™re an Essenon fan, yes.

4 Likes

The only way to reduce preseason is to lengthen the season. Players will just do their own individual training if preseason is cut or play low profile grudge matches if pre season matches are cut. Didnā€™t Sydney play GWS a few times in the preseason?

Danger just wants to be a celebrity footballer/ fisherman/ surfer on good coin and never win a premiership.

less weeks - sure means less content

but perhaps the lesser content means more viewers per game. This offsets the loss.

Good luck with selling that to the TV networks. Youā€™ll need it.

1 Like