Is the season too long?

Agree, funny I have drifted from AFL to NFL

Imagine if ANZAC day was the only time to you play Collingwood or the Showdown was the only time Adelaide teams played each other. That is a serious event, hype and bragging rights for the year.

2 Likes

And yes, the season is too long.

That’s one way to ensure that we never beat Collingwood again.

1 Like

Yep

At lease we will be able to confirm earlier in the year, that we have missed finals

So there is that…

Be able to plan September holidays earlier, another win

1 Like

Expand the number of teams in the league, minimum 1 new team (in Tassie), just play each team once (ie. 19 teams = 18 rounds, etc.), each team gets one bye. Split rounds in weeks 6 and 12, (or complete week off mid-season, around week 10).

Season is about right, I’m a Brit so long sporting seasons is the norm here.

Keep watching American Football and you will understand more.

The NFL just doesn’t work like that. IF we are to replicate the NFL, then we would be in a division/conference with our main rivals and WOULD play Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond twice etc, and not play a bunch of teams at all.

you cant pick a chose one aspect form a foreign sport, and that’s it.

The biggest difference with American Football is that there are effectively 2 leagues happening at once for the season. NFL and College. 99% of NFL fans will support just as, if not more strongly their college team as well which could nearly double the number of the games for the fans etc.

American Football separates the time frames for High School, College and Professional games relatively clearly.

1 Like

This should be seen as a positive for the AFL - Riewoldt made the comment last night that the game has turned into an athletic event in the quest for advantage because they can.

4 on the bench is simply too much, and allows the coaches and high performance staff too much rope to manipulate the game and have turned a more grinding/endurance based game into that of shorter, faster bursts which are to the detriment of the traditional contested game.

Reduce the bench back to 2.

Remind coaches and clubs that if you push the players too far, they will breakdown and with 2 on the bench, that is your issue. Dont whinge about injuries.

Clubs will have to reduce the burst load on the player as they will end up with no players.

2 Likes

I like this. They can mandate a rest for players during the season by saying each player can only a maximum of 22 H&A games or something like that.

So 24 games for each club…1 bye and each player limited to 22 games

Or just get rid of rotation limits.

Actually, now I think of it, if you’re mandating a max number of h&a games any given player can play in a season, you don’t need byes any more.

Lose the bye round. Lose the preseason, just have one practice game instead. Lose the week off between the preseason and the real thing. 27 H&A games per year (gets us closer to every side playing each other twice). No player can play more than 22 (23? 24?) H&A games in a season. Roll the rookie list into the main list so clubs have more depth to draw on when resting blokes.

Edit: the disadvantage of this is that it makes it less likely clubs will use list spots on marginal or project players, or kids from disadvantaged backgrounds, because it’s more likely that rookie listers will actually be required to play ones at some point. Instead of a bunch of project kids on the rookie list, you’d end up with the bottom 6 of every list being journeymen or backups or blokes who really could have been delisted last year but are being kept around cos they’re known quantities with mature afl-ready bodies. You’d have to think about how to offset this.

1 Like

Sometimes less is more with things like this; I think 17 games is the sweet spot with maybe a bye and a split round or two, but they will NEVER do it out of fear of financial impact negatively.

1 Like

The first billion dollar rights deal (one before this one) was literally contingent on there being more games to show. Hence GC and GWS.

So, I can’t see you being right on this. And Seven and foxtel want to - at least - maintain the number of games. And why wouldn’t they, Friday night footy is - still - the biggest sporting show in town, second is saturday night footy. And the important thing - the ad spend - correlates.

Even with Carlton playing one of the two prime time spots for almost every 2nd weekend all year, which has a fair correlation to the games where there were soft figures. Of course the AFL are not going to let a good crisis go to waste, hence Healy et al using the soft figures line to whinge about “congestion”, to soften us up for rule changes.

What I think is killing them (compared to the competition) is 7 not showing games nationally. Serving up games on 7 in some cities, on 7mate in others, on foxtel in others. That stinks, for growing the game. The AFL should get rid of that. Get it on prime time and people will watch it.

1 Like

Don’t agree at all. That billion dollar deal was made before Netflix etc were prevalent. It’s a totally different game now to what it was ten years ago, and that trend towards more selective viewing will only continue.

1 Like

Any idea what Woolworths and Coles spend on ads on Netflix??

You do realise that TV viewing figures and advertising revenues are way way down right?

It’s down a bit, overall.
Now take out the Carlton games. They have had either a friday night or a saturday night game for almost half the year.

It’s down year on year for the past 5 years. It’s not just Carlton.

1 Like

I’ve only ever seen an injury on the football field after round 18

4 Likes

Down a few percent overall this year. 2017 was a record high (both audience and spend). Shrugs.

7 took the footy off the main channel for a month, and (surprisingly) few bothered to hunt up the channel list to watch Carlton Freo. Cue Gerard Healy CONGESTION. Never trust anything coming from AFL HQ.

I’ll bet you $20 the next TV rights will be at least the same as last time, and the bidders want either same or more games. How does that sound?

Dangerfield is just Gil in a Geelong jumper.

3 Likes