It was twenty years ago today

we showed the scum how to play

ESSENDON 20.13 (133)

SCUM 13.11 (89)

Have the vaguest memory of dancing around the living room as a 6 year old after the win. Seems like a lifetime ago. We definitely stole one that year.

20 years later and Mil Hanna’s head is still ringing.

One of my favourite all time memories of football

One of my best memories of following the Bombers for the past 30 years

I was living in the UK and kept up to date with our season especially Mercs & Misiti

When two friends thought they’d get married back here in Sydney I timed a trip back

Jumped on the train to Melbourne thinking (naively) that I’d pick up a ticket to the game at the G from a scalper like I’d done in 84-85…wrong !!

10mins before the bounce I’m trudging up thru the car park must’ve been looking pretty sad cos this big bloke stopped me & asked if I was looking for a ticket

I just nodded when he said “here you are mate you can have this one for $50”

Looked up & it was freakin Vanda !!

He said that I’d have to sit next to his missus & her girlfriends in the new southern stand cos he was getting on the cans with some of the other ex Bombers

Best flag so far IMHO - totally unexpected & I still laugh at SOS going spaz on the goal line after Longys goal

Wow twenty years ago eh - I’ve still got the ticket stub that I got Vanda to sign

"but he goes for home... he goes for home... AND WHAT A WAY TO GO"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQmZ7OL1kuA

Never, ever grow tired of that footage.
Wallis would be rubbed out for 10 weeks nowadays

One of the most extraordinary opening quarters of football by any side in a Grand Final in the last 50 years. This is something footy fans and commentators underappreciate - how scintillating and unexpected that quarter of footy was.

Carlton with the week off - refreshed and warm favourite.

The Dons coming off a massive gutbusting and gruelling comeback vs the Crows

Dons go bang!!.........5.8.38 to 1.2.8.....BANG. Good night nurse. Good night Mil Hanna! Hello premiership!

Unfortunately, they got their revenge on Wallis in '99 :frowning:

Now Hanna still has all his faculties and would probably be the first to admit that that was a good hit. The AFL has gone soft.

@ Wandering Wolf, that was a desperate tackle from Fraser Brown that stopped Wallis in 99, not a shirt front or hip and shoulder.

Now Hanna still has all his faculties and would probably be the first to admit that that was a good hit. The AFL has gone soft.

@ Wandering Wolf, that was a desperate tackle from Fraser Brown that stopped Wallis in 99, not a shirt front or hip and shoulder.

Add to that, it was a prelim. They lost the GF.

I was like Derek Kickett that year - went to every match ... but couldn't get a ticket to the Grand Final.

Have the vaguest memory of dancing around the living room as a 6 year old after the win. Seems like a lifetime ago. We definitely stole one that year.

We finished top, crap start (1W-1D-3L), but after that went 12-3 or so.

an awesome day.... sat in the ponsford stand second level under cover...

our aim was to have  a beer for every goal we kicked.... Not sure we got there, but i didn't care.

Ended up back at the Nottinghill hotel for a few afterwards... ( anyone who has been there would have seen all the Bloos stuff all over the walls)

Proudly went from bar to bar with a Weg Poster..

Unfortunately, they got their revenge on Wallis in '99 :(

Yeah... But how did they go the next week ???

1993 premiers .>  daylight > 1999 runners up

an awesome day.... sat in the ponsford stand second level under cover...

our aim was to have  a beer for every goal we kicked.... Not sure we got there, but i didn't care.

Ended up back at the Nottinghill hotel for a few afterwards... ( anyone who has been there would have seen all the Bloos stuff all over the walls)

Proudly went from bar to bar with a Weg Poster..

Unfortunately, they got their revenge on Wallis in '99 :(

Yeah... But how did they go the next week ???

1993 premiers .>  daylight > 199 runners up

Holy crap, so was I. Was a great day, however being 11 years old, I didn't really appreciate it like I would now

I was fortunate enough to attend the Past Players function last night at Windy Hill to celebrate the 1983 Reserves Premiership and the 1993 Senior Premiership teams. There weren’t many from the '93 team present, Bewick, O’Donnell, Calthorpe and Chris Daniher but what a night of memories.

Exercise: Pick your best 22 since 93. I’ll go first.

b. Wanganeen, Fletcher, Thompson

hb. Wallis, Harvey, Hardwick

c. T Watson, O’Donnell, Long

hf. Hird, Lucas, Mercuri,

f. Salmon, Lloyd, Bewick

foll. Alessio, J Watson, Misiti

Int. M Johnson, Caracella, McVeigh, J Johnson

Exercise: Pick your best 22 since 93. I'll go first.
c. T Watson, O'Donnell, Long
f. Salmon, Lloyd, Bewick

I'd definitely have Hille & Ryder, and probably Bellchambers ahead of Alessio.

f. Salmon, Lloyd, Bewick

Alessio 1st Ruck ??? Spare me.... one of the luckiest premiership players we have ever had

f. Salmon, Lloyd, Bewick

Tim Watson probably played 12 games since 1993, Harvey 2-3 years.

I'd have Wellman before Harvey (if you are looking at output from 1993 onwards) and Barnard before Watson.