Jake Melksham

Would much prefer bird over melksham.

Fkn concur

I’m missing Jakey already… short shorts and all…

Jakes legend grows by the day it seems. I wish him well, but pick 25 was a win for us.

Jake was no.10 pick in the last draft before the suns-giants took over the first round of the draft. That pick 25 was a great result for us for a player that should be in his prime says it all.

Seeya Jake. Thanks for the service over the years. Hope it works out for you with the Demons. Hopefully your decision to leave won’t burn us.

Those who prefer Melksham over bird have:
a) never seen Bird play
or
b) Never seen Melksham play.

Now Bird is no AA, but he is a big upgrade on Melksham.

Those who prefer Melksham over bird have: a) never seen Bird play or b) Never seen Melksham play.

Big upgrade?? Not sure about that.
Those that watched the NEAFL last year would’ve seen Bird play.

Jakes legend grows by the day it seems. I wish him well, but pick 25 was a win for us.

Jake was no.10 pick in the last draft before the suns-giants took over the first round of the draft. That pick 25 was a great result for us for a player that should be in his prime says it all.

Pick 25 was absolutely gold based on his actual output.. but if he turns into the player he should have been.. then Melbourne may come out in front.

Perfect deal in terms of risk/reward for both clubs imho. Yes his ‘true’ value was probably 30-35… Melbourne got the job done and you have to respect that.

His good is very good.

He is coming into the prime of his footy career.

I think Melbourne will be very happy with him. Genuine win win trade.

I think jake will really find consistency and become the player he has shown glimpes of being
I really hope he does, he is a genuine quality person and i think he deserves it

Those who prefer Melksham over bird have: a) never seen Bird play or b) Never seen Melksham play.

Ehhhh…

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?tid1=6&pid1=3323&tid2=17&pid2=2356&type=A&fid1=C&fid2=C

Both played forward flank / tagger/ midfield rotations their whole careers.
Bird’s a slight upgrade on average, Melks has IMHO more potential - but there’s not much in it either way.

Bird played as a tagger more than Melksham did and Melksham was pretty ordinary at the tagger role. Melksham had his moments but they were too few and far between, Bird is more consistent (even if he is 2 years older)

Bird = #44
Melksham = #25

So if we all agree there doesn’t appear to be that much between them… then we are winners.

Bird played as a tagger more than Melksham did and Melksham was pretty ordinary at the tagger role. Melksham had his moments but they were too few and far between, Bird is more consistent (even if he is 2 years older)
I don't disagree, ross. I reckon we're slightly ahead....
Bird = #44 Melksham = #25
...and for what we effectively paid, we're really ahead.

Melks & 44 for Bird & 25.

I would prefer Bird over Melk, for no other reason than I’ve seen what Melk offers us and, as much as I wish him the best, it’s been a career of Meh so far.

Haven’t seen much of Bird, so excited to see what he brings.

I’ll miss Jake; loved his creativity and the excitement he brought to the game. Sure he was inconsistent but his occasional mindboggling moments of genius were worth it. We’ll be more vanilla without him but at least Melbourne will be less boring to watch (if there ever comes a day that I watch a non Ess v Melb game).

Will always remember him taking out Roughead

https://youtube.com/watch?v=rnbf9s62S_8

Daniel Jackson headbutting his elbow is a classic too.

Don't know enough about bird

What I know about melksham was his good was pretty good but his bad was horrendous and, unfortunately, he was bad far too often

We’ll get consistency out of Bird, not the occasional snag from 60 out, several easily broken tackle attempts and clangers. But I did like him too, just seemed a confidence player. Or, as we call them in other colours, downhill skier. Dee’s will be interesting to watch next year.

Bit rough calling Melksham a downhill skier. Theres been games where he has been BOG and dragged us over the line.

Inconsistent, with the greatest distance between his best and worst possible… yes. But downhill skier implies he is only good when it is easy, and that’s not true imho.