Jake Melksham

I was really glad to get rid of melk but the one thing he always did have was a low, flat penetrating kick (despite always kicking into the man on the mark during his efc days). In the modern game and zones setting up so quickly this type of player is invaluable. Maybe we should have tried him as a forward he always was a good kick for goal, was rubbish as a midfielder though.

Yes and no. You can’t ignore this - ranks second for score involvements (behind Hawk Luke Breust). He’s had a great great year.

1 Like

He’d be handy in the red and black now but I for one don’t regret his move. Good luck to him and Hibberd

2 Likes

We got Mason Redman with the actual pick from Melbourne (Pick 25, which became 30 due to academy selections), but could have just as easily been Alex Morgan given we took the two in consecutive picks (29 and 30).

2 Likes

He’s always been a good player. Only difference now is Goodwin seems to have found a way to get his best out of him regularly, where we couldn’t. Good luck to him, he’s a very decent bloke.

3 Likes

He actually plays a lot deeper forward when we played him on the wing.

He’s much more damaging closer to goal and when he doesn’t have as much accountability running back.

1 Like

Oh, I agree, I always liked him and saw a lot of upside notwithstanding that there were a few glaring deficiencies

Hird and Goody were the only people who knew how to play Melky.

With no EFC in Finals. Join the Melky and Hibbo show. They were huge for us.

1 Like

i for 1 fully support the melshkams

4 Likes

Happy for Melksham. Meh to Hibberd and Goodwin.

2 Likes

Melbourne with Melksham are seemingly (I haven’t watched heaps of then this year) a far superior side to Melbourne without Melksham.

Why are we talking about a past player still?

2 Likes

It seems like he’s found a good place in his life and his footy is reflecting that. Good on him

3 Likes

I remember when Melksham was so slow that we were all saying “He MUST be injured!”…and then the club felt the need to respond, and publicly announced that he was NOT injured (#embarrassing #hesjustcrap).

Now he’s playing like a gun.

Monfries did similarly in his first year at Port…just kept doing EVERYTHING right with his disposals…I remember my housemate saying during one match “He’s somehow transformed into the AFL-equivalent of Messi!”

1 Like

Melksham always had enough AFL attributes - His issue was it took him a few years to harness these attributes to make him an above average AFL player - Some players have attributes but never find them in the AFL system.

His strength makes him great up forward near the goals.
Did we copy that with Bagels or vice versa?

Or neither

I reckon Jake has been great for Melbourne.

Everytime I watch them play he is always one of their best.

Their form turned as well with him out of the side.

Good on him. Can’t hate a bloke for taking the extra security for his family.

Hope Melbourne get knocked out first week of finals though :rofl:

2 Likes

We clearly haven’t develop players well enough here.

Crameri and Gus had career best seasons as soon as they left.

Ryder and Hibbo AA as soon as they left.

Now Melksham.

Jackets has brought a shitload of talent to the list but we don’t get enough out of it. Hopefully that’s changing but I’m not too optimistic.

Just to counter

McPhee B&F first year with us
Goddard B&F first year with us
Dev should be B&F first year with us