Jake Stringer - Nominates Essendon

Only Essendon wants Stringer

1 Like

I suspect we’ll end up here and it wouldn’t surprise if we look to get gc’s 2018 second pick back somehow to keep us in the top 25 next year

1 Like

Stringer’s manager Paul Connors today told the Herald Sun: “We’re committed to Essendon and that’s what we’re going to do.

“But it’s tricky.

“But we’re confident it will be all done.”

Sounds familiar? expect we aren’t on the receiving end for once haha

3 Likes

Deleted

I like the cut of this Peter Ryan’s jib.

Bulldogs have to budge on Jake Stringer trade

Peter Ryan

Smith was a player in demand who could shift his attention elsewhere to St Kilda, Carlton or Collingwood if the Bombers dithered.

So the Bombers had to put a time limit on the Western Bulldogs accepting their offer of picks 11 and 46 in return for Jake Stringer and pick 24 or they risked losing the 24-year-old Giant.

That limit expired on Thursday morning and Smith became a Bomber.

It was a good strategic move from Essendon that, contrary to initial thinking, put the club in a better position to land its trio of targets.

The Smith trade shifts the pressure to the Bulldogs to revise their recent stance that handing over “The Package” would require a package that included pick No.11.

The club will have to seriously consider taking the Bombers’ second-round picks, 24 and 29, in exchange for Stringer when the parties meet again.

That will be difficult for the Bulldogs to contemplate because of the fear how such a decision would be interpreted.

Not to mention the disappointment many at the club would feel at losing a player of his talent when they know that in the right environment he will get back to his best.

Such emotion is understandable as the club made an astute choice when it punted on him at pick five in the 2012 draft, landing a player that now looks well-suited to the modern game.

But no one beyond those holding the line that Stringer could return to Whitten Oval if a deal doesn’t go through thinks Stringer can, or should, stay at the Bulldogs.

When premiership coach Luke Beveridge publicly spoke so definitively about Stringer’s need to make a fresh start elsewhere that possibility virtually evaporated.

Despite him being contracted, a return to the Bulldogs would put untold pressure on the club as it looks to rebound from its disappointing premiership defence.

It’s also worth remembering the Bombers did not chase Stringer in the same way Melbourne went after Jake Lever.

_When the Bulldogs made it clear he should look elsewhere, Stringer went hunting for spots and Essendon became the only club to accept his application so the Bombers are within their rights to want a deal that suits them. _

So having fought the good fight to get a return commensurate with Stringer’s undeniable talent the Bulldogs would not lose any admirers if they accepted the next-best offer.

Their chances of getting pick 11 reduced when Smith nominated Essendon and it passed on Thursday.

The Bombers won’t be offering up their future first-round pick either.

It all leads to one conclusion: the only way to make a tough situation worse now would be to string the Stringer stand-off out further.

32 Likes

Holidays and reading Blitz - Bliss

7 Likes

Bulldogs with no leg to stand on…

'The club will have to seriously consider taking the Bombers’ second-round picks, 24 and 29, in exchange for Stringer when the parties meet again.

That will be difficult for the Bulldogs to contemplate because of the fear how such a decision would be interpreted.

Not to mention the disappointment many at the club would feel at losing a player of his talent when they know that in the right environment he will get back to his best.

Such emotion is understandable as the club made an astute choice when it punted on him at pick five in the 2012 draft, landing a player that now looks well-suited to the modern game.

But no one beyond those holding the line that Stringer could return to Whitten Oval if a deal doesn’t go through thinks Stringer can, or should, stay at the Bulldogs.

Well if nothing else, at least they will know how we felt about losing Ryder (and the club DIDN"T want him gone)

Am sure the Bulldogs and others would have been sniggering that we had to swallow our pride re Ryder.

6 Likes

That is all …

6 Likes

Bring it Doggies

The dogs think they are pitbull… only to be a bowwow

‘Mark Robinson and Sam Landsberger’

Talk about dumb and farking dumber

31 Likes

In Hip Hop wouldn’t Bow Wow be above Pitbull?

2 Likes

Exact same thing when we lost Ryder

Feel sorry for Dogs fans but their club can get ■■■■■■ how they treated Stringer.

1 Like

According to the article on the AFL site The Stringer deal almost went through but the Doggies started playing games.

The deal was Stringer and pick 27 for our pick 11

2 Likes

And now are going to get a ■■■■ a crappy deal.

Well played dogs lol

4 Likes

Greedy Gordon

5 Likes

To get this over the line I think Connors will have to take this to the gutter. People keep telling me that Stringer can’t and won’t go back to the Dogs but I would like it ruled out publicly by Connors.

Hopefully we can get Saad tomorrow and then that gives us a week to work on the stringer trade.

1 Like

Stringer’s manager Paul Connors today told the Herald Sun: “We’re committed to Essendon and that’s what we’re going to do.

“But it’s tricky.

“But we’re confident it will be all done.”

Doesn’t have to take it to the gutter. Just has to apply the same tactics he once used against us, which seems to be what he’s doing. This is maybe less forcefull, but it’s the same rhetoric as when the shoe was on the other foot. We’ve hated this guy for various deals that we’ve felt have gone against us - can’t see why this doesn’t come back our way this time.

Or so I hope.

(To give him his credit this is what @riolio et al. have said all along in terms of Connors. He’s a manager - club allegiance doesn’t seem to have anything to do with it.)

7 Likes

if we get saad tomorrow for one of the 2018 2nd rounders (maybe a steak knife, but only one). Then I say stuff the dogs, sit at the table with only pick 24 on offer and call their bluff.

I’d love stringer, but i don’t think he is the be all and end all for us. The bulldogs however will be crucified if they stuff this up.

Would only do it if we already have Saad sown up though.

1 Like