Jake Stringer - Nominates Essendon

I think a player may need to be involved to muddy the points. With a shallow draft, WCE will want significantly more than the true points value which doesn’t fit with the AFLs rules on needing to be within 200 points. Or maybe including the 2018 picks already sufficiently muddies the water?

Kind of ironic, but yep. But bad for Stringer. The whole episode just reveals mistrust in the media reporting of anything, which is a pretty bad state of affairs.

1 Like

Not so much sarcasm as trepidation…

Like I wouldn’t actually be interested in Tippett, but I think I’d have to accept that if he was on the rookie list in McKernan’s spot our depth in that spot would be slightly better. He’d have likely played in the final this year, whereas McKernan was overlooked even though fit.

Again, I’m not advocating getting him.

For gods sake. Twice i said that ‘assuming its true’.

Obviously if he called the club that would be ok - but that’s not what has been suggested

Reports have said that Bevo has said he’s uncoachable. He’s obviously had issues that the club haven’t been able to manage, because if they could they wouldn’t have put him up for trade - he’s too good and too young for that. And all the other stuff, like the rooting, suggest he has serious character flaws.
My comment was purely in relation to what Lloyd had said about him.

He better come to the club in good shape. I have the feeling he’s the kind of player that might frustrate many in the coming years.

Definitely want though. Massive talent and worth backing in the club to turn him around.

1 Like

anyone have a feeling this will get done today, and that tomorrow clubs will just trade picks?

The Geelong story I heard is from a good source. There was no message saying Jake wasn’t turning up - he just didn’t arrive. After the efforts they had made they were massively annoyed and told the Dogs they wanted nothing to do with him.

My take is it was unprofessional. But I don’t really care because it played into our favour and I’m backing us to get him right.

4 Likes

It’ll get done today and Jackets will spend the rest of the time baiting FC around Kennedy.

2 Likes

It would be smart for the Dogs get the picks in their hands as soon as possible so they have time to do whatever else they might. They’re going to do the trade regardless.

1 Like

Yes he did say that. However I was told by a Bulldogs supporter that Bevo has disliked him from the moment he met him and has hounded his every move and mistake. He said that Bevo has been hardest on Stringer yet that there are two other players who are worse than Stringer but Bevo likes them so they haven’t been treated anywhere near the same level.

Here is the things with rumours like this, with all the media backlash and stories over the past 2 months about Stringer and his off field issues, the fact that a story like that of missing an important meeting with key Geelong stakeholders never made it into the public domain doesn’t make sense to me.

That rumour started on the Geelong BF board by a poster and seems to have spread like wildfire since then. If it was true then the ‘news breakers’ would have been all over it like a fat kid on cake. I call bullshit.

8 Likes

Maybe Stringer needs more of a hug than the stick. If so Worsfold’s the man.

Sooooo. Are we expecting the deal to be done today?

Would be great news for us if Stringer has really been mis-handled by Bevo. Easily the biggest upside of our trades, and if Woosh can get the best out of him then we make out like bandits.

Lol. The Geelong sponsors function.

If I was weighing up offers from clubs competing for my services - I would certainly be choosing the one that didn’t require me to go to a ■■■■■■ sponsors function in the off-season before I’ve even officially joined the club…

1 Like

Maybe your under estimating the power Paul Connors has over AFL clubs and the media. That message getting out doesn’t look good for Geelong, the Bulldogs or Stringer.

I stand by my source.

22 Likes

Fair enough.

I personally don’t think its true, the media are like vultures and if this story would have been legit and its clearly accessible to the common footy punter there’s no way it wouldn’t have been publicised.

3 Likes

Good coaches make good players coachable. It’s very rare that good players are clean skins. They usually have big personalities that need to be appropriately managed. IMO Bevo needed to try harder which I’m very confident that Woosha will do.

1 Like

I don’t think you’l find anyone seriously criticise myers’ dedication, courage or application. And he’s taken on leadership from before he was even established in ththe side. To suggest that, like Watts, he’s squandering an elite skill set is wildly optimistic. Basically all The stuff that Watts doesn’t do is the stuff that Myers does do.

3 Likes

Surely the Swans would have to pay nearly all his salary for a year to get rid of him and pay the replacement player as well. Not going to happen. One more year of pain.