Jake Stringer - Nominates Essendon

And this is where Disco could be trying to be too clever by half. Trying to screw the Dogs over so we can use Pick 11 elsewhere on a target we aren’t likely to get could see us a) piss the Dogs off and we miss out on Stringer b) we miss out on Gaff/whoever else we are trying to use Pick 11 on because they were an unrealistic target c) further enhances our reputation as difficult to deal with at the trade table and d) makes Disco look like a tit by missing out on a bloke who wanted to join us.

If we want both, just use this year’s and next year’s 1st rounders, future pick trading was brought in for this purpose and we should take advantage of it. As a collective Stringer and Gaff (or another player of equivalent quality) for 2 first round picks is fair value IMO and if he can work it that is excellent business. Get a decent Free Agent in as well and I’d be happy as, but please can we stop being ■■■■■ for a change and just do some good, solid deals without trying to bend others teams over?

4 Likes

I hate that St Kilda is being mentioned as well. They have a lot of cash and two first round draft picks to play with.

Surely we’re a more desirable club than the Saints?! :pray:

1 Like

Jake can live northern suburbs, close to the club, very easy run up the Calder to the kids in Bendigo. That’ll play a (albeit smallish) part in things.

6 Likes

Fair points made however if Jake says he’s coming to us then we can play hard ball to a certain extent. Should defs not be leading with 11 or next years first

3 Likes

That’s just the journalists template that automatically includes the saints when talking trades.

He wants the bombers, so we have all the leverage.

They can take what they are ■■■■■■■ given.

I had heard that we weren’t going for Lever, I think that was wrong though!

1 Like

I believe this could be a possible scenario that plays out…

Ess 1st Round (2017) + 1st Round (2018)
for
GWS Kelly + 2nd Round (pick 23 or 25)

and

Ess gives GWS 2nd Round (23 or 25) + young/fringe player
for
WB Stringer

If he nominates us then we have leverage, but not all the leverage because he is still contracted. Even though they want him out, they can still make it difficult. I could see a pick 11 for Stringer and their second being a possibility.

I tend to agree with Smooth. I think Geelong do it well. Identify who you want, pay the price, move on. Our first this year is appropriate imo. Unless something else comes up, Get it done early. Nothing more than that pick, though

20 Likes

So glad to hear that long will be upgraded, @benfti will be pleased

1 Like

Except Geelong have never had a top 10 pick to worry about trading… except pick 9 and steak knives for Dangerfield.

1 Like

What in God’s name has he done to warrant a spot on the senior list?? :thinking:

8 Likes

Well that’s a hell of a lot better than most of the posts here.

Forget the kelly trade he is staying with gws.
We need stringer to nominate us - which i think he will & we will have the upperhand for once.

3 Likes

I’d like to see us get that deal done Day 1 of the trade period. Hawthorn wanted Tom Mitchell, Sydney wanted their 1st round pick, Hawks given them Pick 14. Deal done. If it comes to the final day and we still are trying to haggle and throw up our 2nd rounder plus fringe players they have zero interest in we will look amateurish. I don’t like to say stuff like this normally, but if Disco ■■■■■ this trade period up he should be sacked. The stigma of being difficult to deal with, if we still ■■■■ around when it should be a straightforward deal, will only subside if we make a change to our List Management team.

9 Likes

Yep and they will not accept less for an AA forward. We wouldn’t if the situation was reversed. Hell we got 5 for Carlisle who wasnt AA though a true kp but had arguably had about as much exposed good form. Carlisle also has the Wada cloud.

2 Likes

Pistol whip these farkers for their conduct during Crameri trade.

23 Likes

If we can pull a saints and come out of the Stringer trade with a first round pick I’ll be very happy.

Pick 11, get it done.

I wouldn’t trade a first round pick for him. I’d trade a first rounder for a sure thing (someone you know will walk in the door, be best 22 and improve the side from day 1), I don’t think there is that guarantee with Stringer. He may click and be brilliant, he also may just fade off the radar.

Second rounder packaged with something would be reasonable I’d think.

3 Likes

Nepotism

1 Like