Jake Stringer - Nominates Essendon

I did say erode and not wiped completely.

The point is, a player who was on $300K who was chasing a new $500K (pre CBA figures) contract might be able to get $550K (post CBA: natural increase plus CBA increase). The player probably thinks ‘woohoo just nearly doubled my pay so I don’t need to go anywhere else now’. And we aren’t just going to offer $600+

That’s complete rubbish.
List managers don’t sit around on their hands all year waiting for tradeweek to arrive.

3 Likes

Our advantage from this will become much more apparent from next season onward IMO.

Fair point if the player’s eyes light up at their new salary, but we are better positioned for when $800K becomes the new $600K etc

Yeah.

But the problem there is that we still have to pay 95% of the salary cap. So if we don’t get a big fish this year then we still need to pay that salary to somebody (or a couple of somebodies) on our list. So there will be somebody on our list being paid overs. They aren’t going to take a pay cut the next year to free up the cash for the big fish next year.

I realise that is a simplistic view and there is all the complex front/back end loading etc.

1 Like

nope they give 3 year contracts to the most injury prone player on our list since gumby

1 Like

I think you can bank some cap space for the next year or two now if you pay under but there are limitations.

If we are going to be way under then front load a lot of contracts, extend ones with some front loading. There are ways you can use it wisely which still allows you to chase next year.

As an example we might go to McGrath and say here take a five year deal with 900k next year and 250 for the following 4. Lock him in till 22, he gets a big bonus and 2019 onwards we still have space.

1 Like

My dad grew up in an Essendon family in Geelong. I was indoctrinated into a life long hatred very early.

5 Likes

That would actually make sense.

The sooner we all get ■■■■ teased by hundreds of posters with “inside info” and then ultimately get disappointed when he goes to Geelong the better. I hope this ends up as good as Caddy Fest or every other disapointing trade season.

2 Likes

Surely we are immune to pain by now

4 Likes

Rather May and leave Hooker fwd

Save some money for Shiel

1 Like

No, they’re just bottom-feeders. If I were Connors, they’d be on speed dial because you know that they’d come good for a baseless (and unevidenced) story. You know that there biggest line will be “a close source”.

Remember how Paddy Ryder reacted in the last years of a heavily from-loaded contract?

Remember who his manager was giving him advice about how he could get more at another club despite being contracted?

1 Like

Yep, what a disgraceful ■■■■ that bloke is.

The cherry on top was the timing of his announcement.

Worst bloke to have ever don the sash

8 Likes

I’m only new here but I truely believe stringer will be at Essendon next year. It just feels like the time is right

7 Likes

I get the same feeling mate.

It was all about us, then, in true Connors fashion as always, another club becomes a prominent suitor not long after, giving him greater leverage in the negotiations.

3 Likes

I owe you 1, yes I played with Bendigo. Conners “ but don’t forget you played with Geelong boys” jake “ oh yerr that right”

you have been offered a job with Rio Tinto… “conners don’t forget BHP are also in mining” ohh yerrr forgot

This should be the trade board title

6 Likes