Jake Stringer - Nominates Essendon

People seriously underplay Kelly’s value.

We would need at a minimum. Absolute minimum. 2 first rounders and a decent player for their structure like a Hartley.

With only Kelly coming to us.

That’s fair and realistic.

Our first round picks are 11 and if we got Kelly it would be 18 next year.

Nowhere near enough for the player he is.

1 Like

Yep. My info says around the time he was sent to the VFL in 2016. Was very surprised to hear that. FWIW, I too am confident of getting him, have been for a while, but a lot can happen in the next 4-6 weeks.

7 Likes

Thats gone. Kelly staying at gws

I’m all for getting Stringer as he will certainly improve our list.

But if we don’t get in a decent midfielder (plus some of the kids turning into decent mids) then Stringer will be in the forward line waiting for the ball to only come near him twice a quarter.

1 Like

Stringer would be unbelievably good. I don’t see it happening - because I think the Dogs and Essendon will be very far apart in terms of his worth. Please note that I think pick 11 is a minimum in terms of bargaining power.

I would have thought pick 11 is a worst case scenario for us.

That’s enough.

But would be a bonus of we were able to get a future 2nd rounder back in return or something. Even if it meant 1st and 3rd this year. We get Stringer and 2nd rounder next year.

2 Likes

If we get him I hope its on a long contract. Shows a long term commitment from both the club and the player which is required when you hand over a first rounder.

1 Like

Pick 11 is fair for both parties, if Stringer fires he is worth much more then pick 11, if not we get a best 22 player for pick 11 which isn’t all that bad.

We need to back our system in and take a risk, Dixon is working well for Port, Carlisle has been really good for the Saints, Bennell looked pretty good late in the season, I think he will be another bad boy who works out well for the club taking the risk.

Pick 11, get in done and day 1.

No farkin broken fax machines

1 Like

We could look at swapping 11 and 28 into two late first rounders…

eg. In a fantasy land scenario, Richmond could be convinced to trade out of their two late first rounders to shift one pick above a Naish nomination…

eg. Perhaps GC can get involved, having three picks early in the second round…but I find it harder to figure out how this would work.

Doesn’t matter what’s fair. If he is happy to go to more than one club (eg Essendon and Geelong) then it’s a bidding war. Hopefully pick 11 will do it. Just hoping North dont decide to offer him $1m a year now that they have a huge warchest and no-one to spend it on.

I think pick 11 is fair. In no way is that a loss for us as his worst is still a 30+ goal a year type of player. But given our leverage in this trade, would Dogs accept both this years 2nd round pick and next years 2nd?

That would give us a shot at whoever else might be keen to come to Essendon…Kelly, Gaff, Lever, etc. Or the chance to draft an inside mid in the draft.

Getting stringer and rockliff and having mcgrath and parish flourish in the midfield next season has me optimistic.

2 Likes

And why does Dylan Shiels name keep coming up on this board? Would have thought he’d be entrenched and untradeable up there.

All the Rockliff talk is him to Adelaide no?

Remember when mitch clark was going to brisbane?
Anything can happen tbh

4 Likes

I feel like the Shiels talk is wishful thinking more than anything. Im pretty sure he has a year left on his contract. Hes another big contract player that every club will be chasing after if hes on the market. Would be nice if we go for him next year as he will suit our needs to a tee. But we need someone for next year.

Also, Shiels looks very invested in the GWS culture. Very entrenched in the leadership group. Wouldnt be surprised if he stays a one club player

You mean Freo haha.

He WAS at BL.

1 Like

There will no bidding war if Stringer elects a club. We’ve seen this before with Paddy Ryder and GWS

5 Likes

Shiel signed a 2yr extension this year. He’s contracted until the end of 2019.