Jake Stringer - Nominates Essendon

We did, Carlol.

1 Like

You might be right.
It seems clear that Footscray don’t want him on their list next year, though.
It might be #11. It might be less.

Edit: I’m not sure Carlisle is a good comparison. Stringer was dropped and has had injury issues.

What was actually said on SEN? Was it intimated to be recreational drugs or performance enhancing drugs?

What if we were able to pick up a player but his dad had a history of:

• unlawful assault, burglary, armed with an intent, criminal damage and resisting police
• convicted and fined four times for possessing a restricted substance and once for possessing a drug of dependence
• a two-month prison sentence, suspended for 12 months for aiding and abetting in the trafficking of ecstasy, the show reported.
• convicted and fined for possessing a drug of dependence, and possessing ecstasy and cannabis.
• a former Rebels motorcycle club president

Maybe we wouldn’t go near him. But…

2 Likes

Fark me people overrate draft picks.

The top 5 are gold, but the amount of blue chip players is any given draft thins out real quickly after that. There is not a huge amount of difference between pick 11 and pick 25 historically.

Given pick 11 could end up 13-14 after the various handouts, we’d be robbing the dogs blind. I mean, have we EVER gotten a pick in the teens right at this club? Bet our VFL coach will be devo we don’t unearth the next Elliot Kavanagh.

3 Likes

We’ll offer pick 11, they will want a decent sweetener.

How much sweetening we offer will determine how long the trade will take to get done.

Pick 11 is a steal imo, if they took that I’d be stoked.

If they ask for more than #11, they’re playing hardball.
If we offer less than #11, we’re playing hardball.
I fully expect both to happen.

It might come down to who has the better alternatives as to who blinks first.

6 Likes

Could it be tas that Jackets has planted someone to spread this information? The Essendon equivalent of Sarah’s husband? l am not serious.

Imagine if on day 1 we go:
‘pick 11’

and they go:
‘Deal.’

Actually that’s pretty hard to imagine.

14 Likes

And in any sort of situation like that, the buyer would say ‘■■■■, I just got rolled.’
It’s just not how negotiations work.

I don’t think it is a question of us overvaluing pick 11 in the draft.

I’m more concerned about how we spend our pick 11.

Jake Stringer or Jake Lever?
Or a Matt Kennedy (which we need) and change.

I’d rather spend my pick 11 elsewhere especially when our forward line is already stacked and we have players lining up to get in.

4 Likes

I dunno, some clubs seem to just offer the right value, and the trade gets done straight away.

Squabbling for three weeks over something like a second round pick upgrade, isn’t always in your best interests.

Exactly. There’s no way in this era of monitoring that he could be a junkie. Has been with the same girl since he was 13 and has two kids- there’s the source of his problems. This is not a career ending issue and will be worked out with time and counselling.

I am sure he likes his recreational drugs no more than Buddy, Josh Gibson etc did during their peak years (pun intended) at Hawthorn.

2 Likes

I’m not sure whether these are realistic options, but if they are, then the Bulldogs are going to have to work with us or find something better.
Or keep a guy they’ve said doesn’t fit their culture…and I really don’t see that happening after the coach went public. If they keep him, they’re the ones who look like dicks.

if he doesnt fit their culture then, I imagine, he definately wont fit our culture unless there are changes made. Maybe he should come with a warranty clause

I’ll be very disappointed if we don’t get him from here.

But apparently Libba suits their culture right down to the ground.

I’m not buying the whole ‘mutual decision’ thing.
Sounds a lot more personal to me.

3 Likes

Last year the hibberd trade took ages because Melbourne offered a future 2nd when we understood that theyw were prepared to offer a 2nd rounder for that year. We eventually swapped lower picks to satisfy the dees

We got completely farked by the Ryder trade and we settled for a pretty lousy pick for alot of talent

Crameri, more of the same. Very lucky Zerrett was The Result

Melksham we took the deal they offered with no problems

We offered gold coast a decent draft pick and cale hooker for josh caddy

Carlisle we got a pick that was fair for him and st kilda tried to lowball us the whole time. We only got the deal done because sydney stepped in

How are we considered so notoriously hard to deal with when we get the deals done and alot of the time, get farked over?

10 Likes

If we keep pick 11, we’ll get a guy who has contributed nothing at AFL level ever :slight_smile: