James Hird — January 2017 onwards

To be fair. Red Sash is correct. Hird is in the media again. LOL

1 Like

Hirdy.

2 Likes

Who the ■■■■ is Matt Nicholls? And he can also ■■■■ off.

7 Likes

He is seriously one guy who you have to respect for not giving a ■■■■ what the media say or do.
Hirdy would be well protected there, as opposed to… no I won’t suggest that…

10 Likes

Hird headed west?
FREMANTLE
James Hird wouldn’t be suited to an opposition analyst role at Fremantle, says Scott Lucas
Ben Waterworth, FOX SPORTS
March 2, 2018 10:35pm

FREMANTLE could be doing James Hird a disservice should it offer the Essendon great an opposition analyst position, according to Hird’s former Bombers teammate Scott Lucas.

The Dockers confirmed on Friday night that Hird was “one of a number of candidates” in the running for the club’s part-time opposition analyst role, which would be based in Melbourne.

Should Hird be offered the job, it’d be his first full-time gig in the footy industry since sensationally departing Essendon as its senior coach.

It’s believed Dockers coach Ross Lyon reached out to Hird to inform him of the vacancy.

Lucas said he was glad to see the Dockers showing interest in Hird, but added that the potential job offer was “slightly surprising”.

“Knowing Hirdy — and not knowing his interests, in terms of football, are right at the moment, but generally speaking — when I first saw that article, I was thinking ‘gee he’d be a fantastic mentor to the senior players or the leadership group’ … huge benefits there,” Lucas told Sportsday.

LIVE stream the 2018 JLT Community Series on FOX SPORTS. Get your free 2-week trial & start watching in minutes. SIGN UP NOW >

Scott Lucas and James Hird back in their playing days.
“I would be doubtful that a part-time opposition analyst would be the best use of James if you wanted him on board at your club and I’m also not sure whether that would be a role that would interest him in particular either.”

Lucas explained that an opposition analyst watched two to four games live each week, Plus some on tape as well, to scout their club’s upcoming opposition as early as a month out.

“It’s a lot of work,” Lucas said.

Before leaving the Bombers, Hird was the public face of the club’s supplements scandal, which eventually saw 34 past and present players cop one-year doping bans,

The AFL has stated it won’t impede Hird if he wants to join a club in an official capacity.

Skipper Nat Fyfe expressed his support when questioned about the potential appointment of Hird.

“Is that right? That would be great,” Fyfe said.

“This is literally the first I’m hearing of it. He’s an idol of mine and that would be unreal.

“(I liked watching him as a player) because he was a gun.

“He impacted in big moments.”

— with AAP
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/fremantle/james-hird-wouldnt-be-suited-to-an-opposition-analyst-role-at-fremantle-says-scott-lucas/news-story/a536b9d9c9d0ba29bf5cd156ef6b92e7

Like everyone else, I wish all the best for James and his family.

He is a legend of the club and the game and it is a total disgrace what Vlad and his cronies have inflicted on him

If Free has offered him an opportunity - good on them. This gives even more credibility to this club.

Despite their lack of flag success, they are more honourable than any other club in the AFL (and yes this includes EFC).

When everyone else stood aside and watched the AFL kill a foundation member in Fitzroy, even going so far as to stage their last game in Perth, did anyone do anything about it?

No.

Not the AFL. Not any other founding clubs (even EFC).

The only club that did was Fremantle - then a new entry. They took it upon themselves to pay for and conduct a tribute ceremony that was quite moving.

And when the shitstorm that Vlad and his cronies rained down on us - did anyone object to that?

Not Collingwood - their President engineered the most egregious example of media manipulation and propaganda we have witnessed in the modern era.

Not Footscray or whatever the fark they call themselves these days. Their President was front and centre repeating the case against us. He was rewarded with their first flag in 60 years (and even Snyder fans could see how the maggots stitched them up for that).

Not Port Adelaide. Their President also used his media position to serve up ■■■■ to us, then poached one of our best palyers who desperately wanted to go to be close to his wife’s family in QLD.

Not any of the other clubs who all fell into into line with Vlad’s Evil Empire. Fark them all.

The only one that did stand up for us was Fremantle.

And what was their reward?

The AFL decided they should get to play a final match at Geelong. FFS. An extremely rare - if not the only final - played at Geelong in living memory.

So in summary, this offer is consistent with Freo’s sense of fair play and it is quite telling that they are the only club willing to offer a chance to the FAIREST and BEST player in the competition since John Coleman.

Good for them and good luck for James Hird!

59 Likes

It’s called a soft launch Scott.

3 Likes

Free referred to its contact with the AFL as “a courtesy”. No doubt the Saints did the same prior to the Lethlean appointment.

2 Likes

Yeah, another pos article written by some genius.

Tony Delaney, Todd Ridley, Dale Kickett, Kepler Bradley, Dean Solomon, Mark Johnson, Mark Harvey, Adam McPhee and even poor old Scotty Gumbleton.
When will they realise? They’ll never be us, no matter who they bring in.

5 Likes

Shame, this genius doesn’t want anyone to know their name. :slight_smile:

“The news has left footy commentators stunned.”

Oh those poor footy commentators. :grinning:

3 Likes

All true Albert, well put. Would just add a tick for Nathan Buckley who fronted up to a dinner arranged by AFL coaches head Brayshaw with Hirdy. Along with McKenna and McCartney the only coaches to turn up. Unfortunately this doesn’t offset Ed’s disgraceful work so I agree with your nett assessment of the Pies.

3 Likes

I really thought Richard Hinds was better than that.

It’s not really a bombshell, is it?

1 Like

IT’S A BOMBSHELL!!!

Allegedly.

1 Like

“in the running for the club’s part-time opposition analyst role, which would be based in Melbourne.

Should Hird be offered the job, it’d be his first full-time gig in the footy industry since”

Hmm

11 Likes

Fairfax understands, its a bombshell.

7 Likes

No doubt Hirdy will arrive back from overseas only to find the media pack, OB vans and paparazzi camped outside his house. Wait for it.

Richard Hinds And his Toffsider mates like to think their opinions on all sporting matter carry a truckload more weight than that of the average sports follower.
Personally reckon he is tool that loves the sound of his own voice.

4 Likes

I don’t have an issue with that assessment.
I did mentally rank him higher than the ‘Hird needs to apologise!’ crowd, though.
I find it really disappointing.