James Hird — January 2017 onwards

Watching the clip actually makes me think a return to the media as opposed to a rival club may be on the cards but who knows.

Think he will be doing something with Shane Crawford during the season.

1 Like

Children’s television?image

2 Likes

Sounds just like something the farkin Mafia would say.
Oh wait…

1 Like

It has been pointed out that in other sports coaches (managers) can come into the top job 2 or more times up to maybe 60+ years old, after failures, mistakes etc. However, in the AFL world failed head coaches virtually never get a second chance. Its probably something that should change, but it does effect the career path of emerging coaches who “pay their dues” coming through the ranks. In the case of Hirdy, a restart at a lower level and a level 4 coaching qualification would be mandatory before he could go to the highest level again and that depends on him wanting to do that qualification, and being accepted to do the course, which might take years.

Question: is the L4 course compulsory as a prerequisite to appointment as an AFL senior coach?
There was some talk of making it mandatory, but there could be legal hurdles, given that the AFL selects a small number of assistant coaches to participate.
There does not seem to be much made public about the curriculum.

It’s certainly not the first time Judd has contradicted himself when he sees which way the wind is blowing and wants to paint himself in a good light.
From not having a clue what is in sports drinks he took at Carlton (by his own admission), he jumped on board boots and all in the witchhunt, with his statement that the players are responsible for what goes into their bodies blah blah.

The man could play football, but otherwise, he does nothing to earn my resoect (that is assuming he is no longer picking up papers in his role as environmental ambassador for Visy)

8 Likes

Its about ticking boxes and for the club board reps on the selection committee and external HR/industry consultants, risk mitigation is a key factor. More boxes ticked, less blowback in the event of a poor outcome.

I dont know if L4 is compulsory, Clarko may want it to be, but is Clarko L4 qualified? Probably not.

Seems to me his path back is better walked at other clubs. The media frenzy associated with James and Essendon would be too distracting. He takes baby steps elsewhere builds up to an assistant coach then when the time is right (hopefully after Woosha retires with multiple premierships) the media will practically pave his path home to us.

5 Likes

A lot of these well-wishers reek of this. Clarko included.

If Hirdy wants back into this industry and these endorsements help, fine, I’ll go along with it. But I will never forget what these sanctimonious d-bags said when they needed a scapegoat to cover what was a league-wide issue at the time.

27 Likes

Obviously, what ever makes Jimmy happy, is what he should ultimately do.

But I personally really don’t get why he would even want to go back into the coaching side of things in any way shape or form. Even with all this fuzzy, forgiveness crap that seems to be increasing in the media to pave the way to make it easier on him. Like those people are the jury on all matters football. Get farked.

Reckon he would make a gun administrator though. Maybe a GM or Football Ops position, combine both his football & business skills. Would also be easier as a way back in at Essendon.

Eventually a flag with Hirdy as President of the club would be the stuff of dreams/legend. He is owed a massive debt for what he has been through.

15 Likes

That’s the longest of long shots.
I reckon there is more chance of Michael Schumacher winning another F1 race

Administration is boring. How many of us join forums to discuss how to manage an organisation, how to correctly sack the tea-lady or what the regulatory framework involves for a fiduciary blablabla? Answer - nobody!
Why would Hird be remotely interested in some boring admin position when he has lived his life at the centre of where the real action is?

2 Likes

None of us, because we are all experts already.

1 Like

I’ve heard Jim apologise to members in a different video (think he was on a couch at the time) but you can understand the angst towards him if that’s the only words people have heard Jim speak because nowhere in the interview posted above does he say sorry. It was pretty much all about him.

Oh my God and Jesus Christ. Are you serious?

21 Likes

I take it you did not watch the Tracey Holmes interview.

3 Likes
18 Likes

Lol.

There are football related admin positions dealing with coaches, players, executives and having input into all aspects of how the team runs training, selection, recruitment, mentoring and support to make them the best.

Think a Neil Balme type role. Plenty of involvement, less stress.

And he was a director of his own successful business before all this mess, where you know, he might have actually done some of that boring stuff you raise. So perhaps he doesn’t mind it.

1 Like

You cannot be serious

1 Like

Thanks wimm for reminding me how well Hird carried himself through the saga, and his love for Essendon.

But **** wimm, no thanks for the reminder of that woman’s spiteful soul.

6 Likes