James Hird — January 2017 onwards

Lyon now saying Hird an absolute priority for Freo

9 Likes

hirds mane is luscious

21 Likes

God I love the man.

10 Likes

The endless commentary about Voss being the toughest man in the game at the time used really p!ss me off!

I have never seen a guy put his body on the line more than Hirdy and even after some of the more brutal injuries this game has seen.

Yes, Voss may have thrown his weight around but James was a true warrior and in my opinion that takes far more courage.

22 Likes

Not surprising at all, but how good of Sheeds to bring Hird with him. Making sure he remains connected with the game. As he does for speaking engagements.

Sheedy is one very special person.

51 Likes

Someone has to translate ‘Sheedyspeak’ for the younger generation…

Good to see.

6 Likes

WILL HIRD MAKE A SENIOR RETURN?
BY SEN

Tim Watson says he would not be surprised if former Essendon coach James Hird one day makes a return to an AFL senior coaching hot seat.

Hird is currently mulling over an offer from Fremantle coach Ross Lyon to join the Dockers as an opposition analyst, and his former teammate has urged him to look at the role as an opportunity to find a path back into the game, believing there is a sense of unfinished business.

The 2000 premiership captain coached the Bombers from 2011-2013, before receiving a 12 month suspension from the AFL for his role in the Essendon doping saga.

He returned in 2015, but resigned when the club slumped to a 5-14 record. His tenure resulted in 41 wins, 43 losses and one draw.

“He’s been very ambitious throughout the course of his life. I would think that the way it all ended for him, I would think that he feels there’s unfinished business,” Watson said on SEN Breakfast.

“The first way that he can get back into football would be maybe to tip his toe into the water with this, and that might lead into other opportunities.

“I wouldn’t rule it out that we will see him coach again in AFL footy.”

Former Melbourne captain Garry Lyon says there should not be any barriers put in place when it comes to allowing Hird to return to the game.

“I hope there’s no barrier,” he said.

“If he gets back into the system and continue to show his qualifications, and he has a major impact, I don’t think there should be a barrier for James Hird if he wants to coach again.”

3 Likes

It’s going to hurt watching him coach North Melbourne…

3 Likes

Nice words by Ross Lyon on the AFL Website.

Really hope he takes the role, I think it would suit him perfectly to get back into footy.
Watch them beat us this year too!

Hard not to get a lump in one’s throat thinking what Hird has been through and wanting him to get a fair opportunity to coach again - if that’s what he wants. But I’m also selfish and wish he only did it at Essendon.

Good luck to him.

24 Likes

Take that damn cap off, @Bomb_Doe

5 Likes

Why am I only hearing about this now?

22 Likes

Don’t understand why there isn’t a lot more love on here for Ross Lyon. Not only does he squeeze top end performance from moderate lists, he hates the media and lets them know it, and he clearly loves Hirdy! He’s almost one of us.

14 Likes

Well except for this bit

3 Likes

LOL Ross Lyon.

1 Like

Hird would be comfortable working with Freo - the only club that stood up to the AFL during the saga and the club that looked after him and his family after that injury.
The AFL can’t help itself - stole the Lyon interview from WA media , left out some of the bits and added the reference to the suspension ( which was not mentioned in the interview or other WA reporting)

13 Likes

I think it would be good for Hirdy to work for Freo. Give him an idea of how other clubs operate internally, can ony expand his knowledge for when he returns to EFC. Also less media intrusion.

1 Like

Any chance of getting the full interview?

Imagine him coaching ■■■■ Carlton, Collingwood, the Hawks or any of the other ■■■■■■■ 14 teams to a Premiership win.

Now imagine if he did it with his team playing against Essendon in the Grand Final.

■■■■ the AFL for that even being a possibility.

1 Like