James Hird — January 2017 onwards

Ross has always been a fan of James, Was one of the only ones that stood out in support of him during the saga. Many of the photos of coaches day were of them chatting also.

Ive got a lot of time for Lyon and I would think he has done this off his own thoughts, the AFL would have only been approached by the club as a courtesy.

4 Likes

First and foremost, ■■■■ our own stupid club :slightly_frowning_face:

7 Likes

This is great…

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/luke-darcy-interview-with-dean-robinson-a-stumbling-block-in-channel-7-move-to-recruit-james-hird/news-story/1a7d96aaedaeccfc53b9ce6877b46a59

Luke Darcy interview with Dean Robinson a stumbling block in Channel 7 move to recruit James Hird
Scott Gullan, Herald Sun
28 minutes ago
Subscriber only
HAS the infamous Channel 7 interview with former Essendon fitness boss Dean Robinson come back to bite the network?

Luke Darcy’s explosive interview with the man known as “The Weapon” in 2013 is best remembered for Darcy’s line “say that again” after Robinson said sports scientist Stephen Dank had been asked to carry out “black ops” by James Hird and football boss Danny Corcoran.

Robinson alleged Hird and Dank led the supplements program which led to 34 Essendon players being banned by the Court of Arbitration for Sport in January 2016.

That has become a stumbling block in Seven’s moves to recruit Hird to the panel for its Monday night show Talking Footy — hosted by Darcy.

It’s believed working alongside Darcy doesn’t sit well with the former Essendon coach.

Robinson was never charged over his role in Australian sport’s greatest scandal, despite helping establish Essendon’s “pharmacologically experimental” injections regimen.

Hird, who presented last year’s Norm Smith Medal to Richmond champion Dustin Martin, has been approached by Fremantle to work as an opposition analyst this year.

Dockers coach Ross Lyon said this week he would pursue more talks with Hird to sound him out for a strategic part-time role.

30 Likes

People don’t give a ■■■■ past their own nose hairs.
People believe Reality TV ffs.

2 Likes

Somehow I get the feeling an ‘AFL nudge’ to Ross Lyon would result in someone’s broken nose.

2 Likes

Fantastic!

Fark Darcy. In saying that it’s really ch7 that Hird should be ■■■■■■ at, LD just doing a job.

1 Like

I believe reality TV is a fair representation of Australia.

1 Like

Luke Darcy toed party line. If Hird wants to be on the panel they should move Darcy on, send him to dancing with the stars or back to a Boundry rider, or celebrity Survivor.

Say that again was a ■■■■ segment anyway.

4 Likes

Also just noticed that the youtube link to the interview embedded in the herald sun article is actually the bomberblitzcast say that again video, rather than the real interview.

4 Likes

it’s a good pic

1 Like

I’ve only heard Darcy talk about that interview once, and that briefly, but it was enough to convince me that he genuinely regrets the interview and thinks he was played as much as anyone else in the saga.

I think the two of them should have a chat.

5 Likes

Honestly I reckon Darcy was a bit out of his depth conducting an interview of that magnitude. I think he was equally played, and ignorant of the gravitas of the end product- a lot of his interviews are just blokey, light hearted one on ones with mates/ ex footballers which usually go in one ear out the other with the viewership… this was the complete opposite and I dont think Darc or perhaps the producers really grasped the situation

5 Likes

Darcy said on radio today that he didn’t know who he was interviewing until the morning of the interview. He was told it was regarding the Essendon story and he assumed he was interviewing James.

well that pretty much sums it up… no prep time, end product is ■■■■■

1 Like

Given what was happening at the time, I believe it is fanciful to believe Darcy and the producer didn’t know what they were doing. Remember, after the interview 7 had a panel discussing the interview with McAveney chairing it. The whole thing was a set up by channel 7 to help the AFL get Hird and Darcy was a knowing and willing participant.

16 Likes

Darcy did the interview and Bruce led the panel afterwards?
That doesn’t…trip any alarms for you?

I can only assume Dipper wasn’t available so they asked Darcy.

8 Likes

Something something Nuremberg…

1 Like

Sounds like cr@p to me.

6 Likes
3 Likes

No, no alarms. Darcy did the interview, that’s a fact. He did not appear uncomfortable. Indeed, he appeared to relish the job he was doing on Hird. Remember too Darcy let Robinson get away with saying the AFP raided Hird’s house, even, though 7 put up a disclaimer. Why didn’t Darcy ask Robinson for evidence? Darcy knew what he was doing.

1 Like