James Hird — January 2017 onwards

The podcast sample sounds great, Hird in fine form. Twice a week, this’ll be fantastic!

3 Likes

Friends become enemies.

Let’s not forget that Darcy was also working with Fat Ed when the Sarah call came through.

6 Likes

This deserves a re-post

Maybe, but what’s better than getting someone famous for ratings than someone infamous.

1 Like

Don’t forget Darcy was also getting advice from Charter as were other AFL players and Olympians, but no one really cares about that.

2 Likes

Think you’ll find there is some connection ( maybe family ) between Robinson and Darcy - My understanding is was Robinson who requested Darcy as the interviewer.

Whether Darcy or channel 7 management could have, or should have, been more probing in what they put to Robinson in the interview, and whether they were complicit in the character assassination campaign against Hird being run by the AFL at the time, the fact is it was Robinson who lied in that interview. It was Robinson who tried to make Hird out to be the demon architect of the program. It was Robinson who painted himself as a poor innocent prawn (without the r - lol the swear filter thinks prawn without the r is a naughty word) in the evil drugs scandal.
Darcy and channel 7 may have been just doing their job of breaking a major football news story, or they may have been agents in the AFL directed campaign, but it was Robinson who was the true culprit.
If it hadn’t been Darcy and channel 7, it would have been some other media outlet giving Robinson his platform to do what he did.

1 Like

I’m waiting for “Sarah” to say she was badly advised.

2 Likes

HIrd might also feel aggrieved at Darcy because they were both listed as witnesses for the prosecution in a case against Charters back in 2004 and that Darcy would have known that Robinson’s story about the raid on Hird’s place was a fabrication.

6 Likes

ABC2 has just started doing reruns of Frontline again and D’Arcy really does remind me of Mike Moore.

1 Like

Just listened to the podcast teaser- wonderful to hear Hirdy sounding up & about again. Great that he can share some lighter moments of his time in care also. Interesting to hear his thoughts on Tomic also.

3 Likes

Hirdy is not just intelligent & insightful, he is also very funny. When he tells the story of training the week before his last game as coach when the crows smashed us, that was hilarious. He is also very open about his month in the psych ward which is good to see as he seems to have accepted it and recovered well.
AFL will be better when he’s back, regardless of where that is.

9 Likes

Ripping 7 minute teaser for the new podcast of which Hird dominates most of the air time. He is cracking jokes and talking about his recent mental health struggles. Can’t wait to listen further.

3 Likes

First 4 episodes about to drop at 6pm apparently

1 Like

Could also be an opportunity to present Crawford in a different light from that of the perpetual buffoon on the Footy Show.

2 Likes

Crawford already gets my respect for the great breast cancer fundraising stuff he’s done.

10 Likes

Episodes 1-4 up now:

1 Like

And 2.