James Hird — January 2017 onwards

Hird to comeback to essendon as head coach in 2020 and lead us to our 17th flag

5 Likes

if that’s the case we are ■■■■■■.

Play the kids. Ridley and Beserker and get the rebuild happening ASAP.

“Watching the game live, it’s better to be high”… Crawf n Hirdy Podcast #11

I didn’t get around to listening to last weeks round preview podcast till last night. Still seething from the match I wanted to the angelic voice of the golden haired god, sooth my inner rage.

When he spoke about how in his time as coach, Cale Hooker became such a general in the backline. Cale would make sure everyone was standing in the right zones, would direct the backline and relay issues to Hirdy at the breaks, I nearly spit out my milo.

6 Likes

Last time I heard he supported Man Utd. I remember when Arsenal in beat them in the FA cup there was a story about Justin Murphy (who supports Arsenal) ribbing Hird over it.

no he doesn’t. His kids do.

1 Like

Crawford said it took Hawthorn about 4 years for the players to understand and play to Clarkson’s game plan. It took practice and practice and practice before it finally sunk in and became instinctive. It’s only the start of year 2 with the whole team back, and there is clearly a lot of confusion across the team about what they are meant to be doing. This gives me perspective that when you see us struggling then it is part of a process that is meant to evolve but will be lumpy getting there. It doesn’t mean they should not be stuffing up basic skills, but they will be found wanting at times during games and during the year. What you want to see is they show the correct intent to do the right things.

6 Likes

I hope you’re right , because the last 2 weeks have been a train wreck.

1 Like

Getting together a highly competitive and consistent footy team is a tough job for the football club.

but even harder for the fans watching and waiting for it to happen

4 Likes

Sorry to be pedantic. The past tense of “spit” is “spat”, unless you are American.
Why do we feel the need to follow Americanisms in speech? Watch their movies, but don’t copy everything they say
I’m done…er, finished.

4 Likes

Well I still have the Milo in my mouth, since Sunday. So technically I am correct…I’m a slow drinker.

1 Like

So what your saying is we will win a premiership in 2020…lid off

Not to mention they’ve clearly made some fairly significant changes to defensive structure over the off season along with adding 3 players from outside to the best 22. But sadly at this stage we’ve lost what we had last year as well as not implementing the new stuff well enough either.

1 Like

Just had a listen for the first time to this weeks episode.

Wow. It’s way better than I expected. Love the little “behind the curtain” insights from Hirdy and Crawford is less irritating than anticipated…

2 Likes

What we’re hearing from Crawford is the considered footy mind. Not the pantomime clown we all see on TV.

5 Likes

It’s a very very good podcast in my opinion.

Of course, it doesn’t hold a candle to the blitzcast

2 Likes

Its also just really nice to hear Hirdy happy and enjoying himself…

7 Likes

a number have said it and I agree 100%. It’s a highlight of the podcasts.

3 Likes

It’s the podcast I most look forward to now. I’m even taking an interest in the discussion of other games just cos the analysis is so good. I love when both guys give tidbits from their careers, and the fantastic insights about how Hird operated whilst coach really help me understand how things work behind the scenes in the modern game. It’s a ripper.

7 Likes

It really is. Kinda feels like being a fly on the wall while two champions chat about footy.

2 Likes