James Hird — January 2017 onwards

Great night and was a privilege to be there (even though the vultures on the table ate all the chocolates while I went to the bathroom).

Hirdy’s speech was brilliant, humble, caring and emotional which really exposed himself to the audience. He let down his guard to a group of friends, family and strangers and I personally gained a huge amount of respect on top of the already earned respect.

So every time I hear a disparaging remark, article or comment on social media, I think back to the bloke that stood up at that podium and let us into his world. They haven’t a clue of this blokes character.

7 Likes

Haha, no freakin way.

1 Like

Good to hear him and Crawford say the “taking the legs” rule is rubbish and could only come from people that don’t know or like football.

8 Likes

Some great plays by Hird - one on Licuria I think in an Anzac Day game - would now be outlawed.

It wasn’t as good to hear Hirdy say he considers Richmond and Melbourne both better teams than Collingwood and Essendon.

Yet some people here will still lose it completely and lose it about how we can’t beat crap teams if we lose to Melbourne

People that abuse other players, teams, coaches and supporters and call them ‘irrelevant, spuds’ and so on, are the ones that feel the worst when those same targets beat their team - and rightly so.

5 Likes

Now I’m fired up! Let’s go Bombers!

2 Likes

Get him a jumper and some boots, the man would destroy it today. The definition of a big game player

4 Likes

My housemate is a die hard hawks fan and he loves the pod. Was somewhat upset that hirdy is such a likeable and genuinely good bloke and that now he had no other choice but to like him. I think it’s definitely changing perceptions.

5 Likes

2pm on a gloomy Melbourne day.
We see a man wearing a long trench-coat and hat walking down a busy Melbourne street. His hands are buried deep in his pockets and he crouches his body against the cold wind.
He stops, looks up at the shop sign above the door, sighs and enters.
The bell above the door makes a sad chime, announcing his presence.

Inside sits a man hunched over at the counter. In front of him are single chocolate squares lined up in a row. His hair is luxurious. He does not look up.

The man in the trenchcoat approaches, stands behind him.

‘I knew I’d find you here. Do you mind if I take a seat?’
‘It’s a free country.’ He takes a piece of chocolate, throws his head back and drops it in his mouth.
‘A bit early for that, don’t you think?’
‘I know why you’re here and the answer is no.’
‘Come on, Jimmy. You can see what’s happening out there.’
‘Not my problem.’ Jimmy picks up another square of chocolate. The man in the trench-coat grabs his wrist. Jimmy pulls it away and takes another shot. ‘This is what I do now.’
‘Come on, man. That stuff’s not you. You know what you were born to do.’
‘I thought I did. Once. That was a long time ago. Now if you’re not here for the chocolate then I think you’d better leave.’
Trench-coat sweeps his arm across the counter, knocking the rest of the chocolate to the floor.
Jimmy doesn’t even look up.
‘Look at you! You’re…actually, you look pretty good. Do you moisturise, or…never mind that! How can you just sit there, knowing what’s going on?’
‘I can’t go back. You know that. They’d never let me, and I wouldn’t come back even if they did.’
‘We need you. We’ve always needed you. And you need us, too.’
Trench-coat leans in. ‘Come on, Jimmy. One more time for old time’s sake. Whadaya say?’
Jimmy raises his head for the first time, looks into the distance. I mean, he’s still in the chocolate shop, so there’s not much distance to look into, but still…
‘What do I say…’
Jimmy grabs the man’s coat and screams into his face.
‘You set me up, you son of a ■■■■■! I’m never coming back, do you hear me? Now get out of here.’
Trench-coat staggers back to the door.
‘Alright, alright. I can see this isn’t a good time.’ He opens the door, but pauses on the way out. ‘You’ll be back. You think you can just leave? Nobody ever leaves, Jimmy.’
The man closes the door behind him.

34 Likes

Blitz goes Noir

3 Likes

I read that in Werner Herzog’s voice.

1 Like

thank you wimm
it’s still a gloomy Melbourne day, but less so

2 Likes

nice.

Edit : Let me soften that response… I soooo wanted a different ending.

1 Like

Was on a plane back to melbourne from LA on Monday. Does he work over there ? Seen him On these flights quite regularly

YES. FAAARKING YES!!!.

was in NY last week working on something.

Is he still involved with Gemba or has he finished with that?

yeah he is.