James Hird — January 2017 onwards

SHEEDY: HIRD SHOULD NEVER HAVE COACHED WITHOUT PRIOR EXPERIENCE
BY JUSTIN TALENT A DAY AGO

Four-time Essendon premiership winning coach Kevin Sheedy says that fellow former coach James Hird should never have coached without having acquired experience as an assistant beforehand.

The 69-year-old AFL coaching great says that his former captain at the Bombers was rushed into the role of head coach at the club, which Sheedy believes never results in a happy ending.

Hird is currently recovering from an overdose earlier this month, over a year after he resigned as coach following his involvement with the Essendon’s long-winded supplements saga that eventually saw 34 past and present players suspended for 12 months.

“We have a really good person in James Hird who’s not well. He should never have been allowed to coach, like (Michael) Voss and Tim Watson,” Sheedy said on SEN Mornings.

“I put to the AFL ten years ago – particularly when we started the Coaches’ Association – that no coach should coach in the AFL unless they’d done their coaching courses and had experience.

“Really when you look back, it’s probably come to bite the game on the bum, hasn’t it?

“You wouldn’t get in the plane if the pilot’s done no training, would you? You wouldn’t go in for an operation if the doctor or surgeon’s never actually done any training. Here we are, expecting (success) because they’re superstar players.

“In fairness to James and in fairness to any coach, it’s a very difficult job and becoming more difficult because of the tactics and the technique of playing the game now. It’s a very, very awkward situation to be in.”

Sheedy also touched on the negative perception that some people in the wider public still have of Hird despite his recent troubles.

The former Essendon coach says that this is evidence of people wanting to bring down a popular figure, something Sheedy vehemently dislikes.

“I think everybody likes to be able to knock off a ‘tall poppy’. There’s one of Australia’s problems I think… in many ways (we’ve) started to whinge a little bit as a country,” he said.

“I think we’ve just got to get back to basics; we’re a really wonderful, hard-working country with intelligence and we give people an honest go.”

Sheedy says that the 43-year-old Bombers great remains one of the finest people he has ever known.

“James Hird is not a bad person. He’s a very, very good man,” he said.

“I know the type of guy he is… there’s no way known he’d want to sit down there and tell his coaches ‘we’re going to break the laws of the AFL and we’re basically going to have a supplement program that’s (performance) enhancing and it’s going to go over the top of the white line of the rules of ASADA and WADA.’

“He’s not that sort of person. There’s no way known anybody will ever convince me of that…I’ve been watching him for a long time.”

Yeah, well that’s going to help now isn’t it?

According to the masses, it didn’t really matter though, coz it was actually Mark Thompson doing the coaching and Hird was just a puppet. Oh wait…

Still what Sheedy suggests is the AFL is at fault.

Still what Sheedy suggests is the AFL is at fault.

Spot on. If they had implemented what Sheeds suggested 10 years ago, we may not be where we are today. (No guarantees though.)
You can’t coach at the highest levels in soccer without the proper coaching certificates, but for some reason we don’t have that in footy.

For the sake of the AFL's image he completely ignores the deliberate actions of Vlad, Evans, Fitzpatrick, and polo boy to manafacture an outcome and pervert the course of justice.

It was their actions at the start of the saga, and their ability to direct a handful of journalists to promote their preconceived outcome, that has led to this unsatisfactory situation.

Patrick Smith is toy of the AFL.

A journalistic stool pigeon.

A journalistic stool no more no less

Too late. Too late. Move along: nothing to see here.

Hird to speak out today apparently according to Sunrise vid I just watched with Sam kekovich spouting Australia Day and slapping down vegans which was very amusing. A note along bottom of page came up about it.

For those who haven’t seen ad that’s someone blowtorching a bowl of kale and one of the Bondi hipster comedians cowering in corner!! :smiley:

#standbyhird

For the sake of the AFL's image he completely ignores the deliberate actions of Vlad, Evans, Fitzpatrick, and polo boy to manafacture an outcome and pervert the course of justice.

It was their actions at the start of the saga, and their ability to direct a handful of journalists to promote their preconceived outcome, that has led to this unsatisfactory situation.

Patrick Smith is toy of the AFL.

A journalistic stool pigeon.

Fixed.

a journalistic tool.

Fark… I hope he is ok.

Seems too soon. (not that I have any idea what happened).

Fark... I hope he is ok.

Seems too soon. (not that I have any idea what happened).

l have no ideas either, but if this is true, then l will take it as a sign that he is feeling a bit better. To front the media, after all they have done to him over the last 4 years, is as gutsy as anything he has ever done.

I think maybe they are meaning Alan Hird. He’s still in Hospital is he not?

I doubt James would do any interviews at all, let alone from there.

I really hope he doesn’t. There’s no need to.

Hird having ten years experience doesn’t change a thing. Thompson was the one who brought Robinson and Dank on and he has more than ten years coaching.

Well if it is James, then well done to him !
The strength of character shown on field lives !
Hope he calls the microphones in whilst gesturing with his finger to come closer and says,
…now let me tell you what REALLY happened !

On 3aw with TonyJones just after the 11.00 news, Allan Hird had a right of reply to Smith’s absurd set of excuses yesterday. It was an excellent exercise in saying what he believed without being cut off by Jones.

On 3aw with TonyJones just after the 11.00 news, Allan Hird had a right of reply to Smith's absurd set of excuses yesterday. It was an excellent exercise in saying what he believed without being cut off by Jones.

http://www.3aw.com.au/news/3aw-mornings-neil-mitchell-podcasts-20141214-126t1z.html

Starts at the 1:29:08 mark of the “3AW Mornings with Tony Jones, January 19” podcast.

Edit: Did raise my eyebrows when he said he hasn’t been down to Melbourne to visit his son yet. People deal with things in different ways I suppose.

On 3aw with TonyJones just after the 11.00 news, Allan Hird had a right of reply to Smith's absurd set of excuses yesterday. It was an excellent exercise in saying what he believed without being cut off by Jones.

http://www.3aw.com.au/news/3aw-mornings-neil-mitchell-podcasts-20141214-126t1z.html

Starts at the 1:29:08 mark of the “3AW Mornings with Tony Jones, January 19” podcast.

Edit: Did raise my eyebrows when he said he hasn’t been down to Melbourne to visit his son yet. People deal with things in different ways I suppose.

Alan trying really hard but all that Tony wanted to do was get him off the air when he had nothing to say about James, they could have asked where can people find out more about supporting the inquiry but the could not get him off the air quick enough. Typical…Good on Alan for trying though.

Id say there is a good reason he has not been yet. Take it from someone who has been at rock bottom before, you don’t want to see anyone, you feel ashamed to be seen by anyone actually. All you want to do is wrap yourself in a cocoon away from the rest of the world, and yes often from family member’s as you don’t want them to see you in that state and bring them down. I am sure Alan will visit when the time is right, and as he said he is in constant contact with those he needs to be.

The best thing any of us can do at the moment for Hirdy is to support the J34 group in trying to get a senate inquiry happening. If you have not signed the partition and shared. Please think about doing it.

Alan trying really hard but all that Tony wanted to do was get him off the air when he had nothing to say about James, they could have asked where can people find out more about supporting the inquiry but the could not get him off the air quick enough. Typical…Good on Alan for trying though.

In fairness, Tony Jones had to get onto his next topic of buying toilet paper at the supermarket (true).

It’s incredible that AW found one of the few men alive who is a bigger turd than Mitchell to fill his slot. Kudos