James Hird — January 2017 onwards

Because you can’t/don’t “Let the barstards win!” … that’s why.

2 Likes

As farkin if.

5 Likes

Agree but it’s because the Saga destroyed his professional reputation and he lost over a million in his lawsuit. And he has four kids.

2 Likes

Would be hilarious seeing the Collingwood supporter response.

12 Likes

Wow senior assistant at Collingwood then succession back to Essendon after Worsfold. Well played AFL!! Need more Hird

5 Likes

Collingwood is probably one of the few clubs that he could go to that could handle the media of his return to coaching whilst shutting up a significant portion of the AFL world

It’s actually a smart move

19 Likes

Would Jimmy work for anyone but the Bombers?

Would be a new experience for him to have the total support of a club, who would bite back when the media had a go.

Still, how could Hirdy be plotting against us on ANZAC day???

I could see himself and Buckley working together well though.

2 Likes

Is this all based on the Big Footy rumour?

Jimmy may have been planning this for a while:

James Hird says Collingwood will be a top four team by June next year

JAMES HIRD, Herald Sun
May 5, 2017 8:04pm

NATHAN Buckley must be the coolest cat in footy.

Last Sunday, while out for a run on a glorious Melbourne autumn morning, I came across a junior football game. A group of wide-eyed youngsters in the distinctive blue Prahran jumper were looking starstruck at their coach.

Sunday was meant to be a Charge of the Light Brigade for Bucks. Media pundits said he had no chance against the might of Geelong, with Joel Selwood and Patrick Dangerfield poised to pick over the carcass of Collingwood.

But there was Buckley on that Sunday morning. Calm, relaxed and enjoying the game in its purest form as he coached a group of eight-year-olds to victory. I doubt he was as composed five hours later, but he did manage to silence a lot of his critics with a well coached and executed performance against the Cats.

Being an AFL senior coach is like no other job I have experienced. I have never operated on someone, guided a mission to the moon or sent young men to their death in war. All these roles carry far greater significance in life than that of an AFL coach, but the pressure and stress that comes with being an AFL coach is unique and mostly unhealthy.

I suspect that most of the pressure derives from the personality type. High-achieving, intense characters with a fair slice of ego, who are used to getting their own way, are the norm in AFL coaching circles. But it is more than this that sends most coaches into a ball of tension come game day.

A coach’s job is never done. AFL is not a game of perfection. Every day is different and the game never leaves you. It can be present when driving in the car, sitting at the table for dinner or lying in bed. The brain always takes you back to the job.

Before coaching, my last thoughts before I fell asleep were normally about my family, my beautiful wife lying next to me and my kids. My first thoughts in the morning were similar, but that quickly changed after a month as coach.

I soon fell asleep counting hamstring strains or contested ball numbers and, upon waking, I was not thinking about what the kids wanted on their toast but instead, who was going to tag Gary Ablett or Chris Judd and why we couldn’t keep the ball inside our forward 50.

Coaching became an all-consuming role. A work-life-balance and time out are foreign to most coaches and I am pleased to see the AFL and the AFL Coaches Association tackling some of the issues.

The best time as a coach is the hour after a win.

Once the press conference is complete you can sit with your staff for a few minutes, have a laugh and relax before the preparations for next week start.

Most senior and assistant coaches are back into work within hours of the final siren. On a regular night, 3-4 hours after a game, senior and assistant coaches will be hunched over computer screens, dissecting the game from three different camera angles and searching for the reasons they won or lost.

It is called coding; picking out individual video edits that help to explain the game each week. Many a night I received or sent a text to my assistant coaches that had some sort of expletive in it about coding. Sometimes this is where the game is won or lost, but normally a football game is won by the players. The coach’s relationship with them is crucial.

Building and maintaining those relationships is the most rewarding yet difficult part of the job. A coach’s phone is always on and your brain is always thinking about how to get the best out of every player.
James Hird leaves the ground following an Essendon loss in 2012. Picture: Getty Images

Management in every job is a lot about delegation, but you cannot delegate relationships. Every player on an AFL list wants a relationship with the senior coach and if a coach wants the best out of their players, it must be nurtured.

Bucks must be doing this well as his players are playing for him, he is building a good team, has a potentially great midfield and will get more from his forward line as the season progresses.

At two wins and four losses, finals will be difficult, but by June next year with Nathan Buckley in charge I believe Collingwood will be a top four team and have an exciting year in 2018.

[http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/james-hird-says-collingwood-will-be-a-top-four-team-by-june-next-year/news-story/013d0f24881e45c5e6aa4d5012d6c4c6](http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/james-hird-says-collingwood-will-be-a-top-four-team-by-june-next-year/news-story/013d0f24881e45c5e6aa4d5012d6c4c6)

as if he would join Collingwood in any way shape or form. Especially seeing as their president was part of the whole “Sarah” thing

2 Likes

I doubt there’s any truth to it.

Then again…
If he wants to get back into the AFL, I’d have no problems him doing so at another club just to get a different perspective. Would prefer it to be at a successful club, but a job is a job.

1 Like

All I’d say is if so, Collingwood will be very lucky to have him.

6 Likes

I can’t believe some of the comments saying that Hirdy may one day come back and coach Essendon. Not in a million years would the AFL allow that.

1 Like

That feeling when James Hird holds a premiership cup up.

For Collingwood.

Against Essendon.

:disappointed_relieved:

I couldn’t care who he holds it for. After what he was subjected to by both the media and our club, I am happy for him to get whatever he wants.

27 Likes

There is never, ever any chance he ever coaches us again. It will just never happen. He might end up back in some capacity there but it’s complete and utter pipe dream stuff that he coaches us again. As for some kind of role at another club, that is the perfect way for him to get back into the afl world

1 Like

Would feel really weird but I’d be happy for Hirdy. Maybe a bit like when your lonely mate starts dating someone you can’t stand.

Would make for a handy distraction at Collingwood. Hope he’s not being set up.

2 Likes

Cheers for sharing the article.

Pure puffery from Jimmy in that piece.

Even if the players are busting a gut for Bucks, the Pies have gargantuan KPP issues. Decent midfield engine, but their bookends are non-existent. I see where Jimmy is coming from, but top 4 in 2018? Definitely smells of reciprocation for Buckley’s support during his black dog struggles.

I don’t wanna entertain the notion of Jimmy as a Pies assistant coach, especially not before he has accepted the olive branch from the Bombers. I would prefer to see him back in the fold at Essendon, and once the dust has truly settled, move on to different pastures, if he so chooses. I think he has missed a few functions (fair enough as well), but I was saddened to hear that he had auctioned some of his Essendon memorabilia 2 weeks ago. He will always remain an Essendon Champion, regardless of his future decisions, however, the footy romantic in me would love to see him invited on the stage, when we win this year’s granny, and be presented with a premiership medal (Bob Murphy style). Errr…over to you, Woosha.

Yep, if the media get stuck into them Eddie will tell them to bash it and move on.

Just like Evans/Little did…oh wai…

4 Likes