James Hird — January 2017 onwards

Imagine Mike “Hird will never work in football again” Fitzpatrick if James got the Carlton coaching gig. His reaction would be all kinds of epic!

28 Likes

I would like to see Hirdy go to Hawthorn for a assistant role.
Watch clarko lose his ■■■■ as his team crumbles.
keep them up high so rebuild takes longer, etc.
Do a aprenticeship under Clarko then come back to EFC to take over from woosha

Wouldnt want him at Blues or saints, as they would want to give him top job or at least caretaker coach after they sack Richardson/Bolton.

Assistant roles in Melb for Hirdy
Most favourable

• Hawks with Clarko
  • Tigers with Hardwick
  • Pies with Bucks
  • Dees with Goodwin

Least Favourable
Cats/North with Scott
Dogs
Blues
Saints

1 Like

I don’t know how much respect James Hird has in the AFL industry as a coach. The fact was he got an AFL coaching gig without any experience whatsoever, he didn’t do the hard yards as an assistant coach. Obviously his tenure from 2012 onwards was tumultuous because of what happened, so we will never know how good a coach he is/was and what that group of players he had could’ve achieved given the shitstorm that engulfed EFC. If he’s really, REALLY keen on being a coach again, to me the only way that can happen is if he starts at the bottom as an assistant at another AFL club (not EFC). Do that for 2-3 years. Get a good reputation at that club, have coaches/players sing your praises and rebuild your reputation on that front. But I don’t think he would do that. The only way I can see Hirdy coaching at AFL level again is if he gets the job like he did with us - basically he’d need to be headhunted. The chances of that are extremely remote. He may not even want to coach anymore, which given what happened I probably wouldn’t want to either. It’s more likely we’ll see him in mainstream media at some point again, which he has a talent for.

3 Likes

Hirdy has contacts, he could walk into a assistant role at Dees/Tigers/Pies.
Might take some heat off Bucks marriage for a start.
Its more does he want to do that.
Definately agree the only way back to a head coach gig is to do assistant role somewhere.

1 Like

There are views in the industry that 3-4 Senior Coach positions are likely to come up during this year but more likely at the end of the year. Carlton, Freo, St Kilda are most likely, maybe Port Adelaide. Are there enough senior assistants to fill those jobs ? Most of the former senior coaches have sold their personal whiteboards and magnet sets.

Hawks with Clarko would provide seemless integration into a head role.

1 Like

Has been for some time I would say.

2 Likes

Because the club suffered severely during his tenure as coach, and whilst it may have only been minimally his direct fault, the club has to actively distance itself from that period henceforth.

I feel this sort of article will keep popping up every year to test the waters of the general public. Unfortunately there are so many mistruths out there that many people have Hird up there without Hilter as the worst person to have lived in the last 100 years. I’m not sure much can ever be done to repair this damage other than time given the tribal nature of football. You only need to read the comments in reponse to Sheedy’s article to see what I’m talking about.

2 Likes

I’d have him back coaching at Esssendon. ■■■■ what anyone else thinks.

32 Likes

He’s a champion and you should never discount a champion. I have no doubt he’ll end up coaching again at some point and regardless of which club it is for, I will be cheering for him personally.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, you may be right but…

You know, the AFL has the capacity to be a community leader, as seen with their efforts against racism. The industry can be a forgiving one too (W Carey). James is another level (or 2) of redemption the community might struggle to accept. I can see the angst it would create if he came back to Essendon in some coaching capacity. It’s possible, some of the players from the SAGA still hold resentment too. It was interesting to learn the other day that James has no time for X, suggesting he won’t be back until X moves on?

Still, question remains… how can James become senior coach again (if that’s what he wants)?

• First and foremost, he needs to be seen… media role on Foxtel or 7
  • As an assistant at another club
  • Eventually, take on an assistant role at Essendon.
  • 10 years after the sh_t storm could pave the way to senior coach?
    Fanciful I know but I live in hope…
1 Like

Personally l would not mind Hird coming back to coach at EFC, to coach in any capacity, he and the club think he is suitable to fill. l have no doubt that Hird can coach and coach well. He had the team playing good football, before the ASADA saga derailed the club.

17 Likes

What’s this about Bucks Marriage?

nothing
just a rumour in another thread.

1 Like

Bucks is living with Pendles atm, well at least that’s what a Pies supporter was saying in the coffee shop this morning.

1 Like

What gets my goat is all the Hird-haters out there would genuinely not give a rats about the personal plight/health of any the 34 (even though they hypocritically happy to hang their hat on Hird not considering his players’ health.)

Hird has unjustly been painted as a modern-day Hitler by most, and the unwashed masses just gleefully (and moronically) feed off it.

5 Likes

Is that for real? What a strange, strange scenario that would be. Like living with your boss.

FWIW. The caveat here is that those who wish to be forgiven, would be silly to refuse to forgive others.
But he is righteous in this one at least.

Ricky Nixon ‏ @ rickynixontoot 4h4 hours ago

I’m with Kevin Sheedy - James Hird should be given another opportunity that’s what sport use to be about until the country was taken over by Do Gooders who have never made a mistake

28 replies6 retweets133 likes

2 Likes

Pies supporters out there doing their damndest hosing down something that really does not need to be hosed down.